PDA

View Full Version : *- A (not so) Lame Portrait -*

Jet
06-22-2004, 06:50 AM
It must appear lame and cheesy to many artists, but lucky me i am not artist so i'm allowed to do this stuff without guilt.. :p
--------
I was doing some exercises i saw in a book, to loosen up the hand , and all that...
And started doing this branch with a bird on it and i went on, then suddenly it turned into a hand.. and shapes varied....
... this is what i have so far,and thought of doing a WIP from it.

Hold your tomatoes.....i'll try to do better next time !! :D

.....................................http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/27782-GB-Wip1.jpg

Regards

Andrew Rance
06-22-2004, 07:21 AM
lucky me i am not artist

Judging from the evidence you have submitted to this forum, I don't agree with this statement!

This is raw and fresh and, above all, honest (or so it would appear). I know there has been much debate in these threads about the validity of digital art (or, more correctly, the validity of certain methods and processes used in practising digital art), and I don't want to stir all that up again, but this is the work of an artist.

You under-estimate yourself!

Jet
06-22-2004, 07:48 AM
Andrew,
thanks for your comment, means way too much coming from someone i admire, respect and try to emulate (with no success)..

This pic just came up from doing the calisthenic/calligraphic exercises, and just went with the flow...when i was about done with the face , i thought hey! i did something right here, that even looks like it's traced from a photograph or another drawing from cinderella or snow white or the like...

..But it wasn't.-
- By sheer chance or beginner's luck, it just came out this way, so before going further i thought in posting it here....thinking.....it must look like i copied it from a storybook where snow white is singing with the birds and thought maybe it wasn't a good idea or it was a cheesy pic....but..then i just went on and posted away.

----------------About faking it-------------

I know what you mean, as one is praising someone's job and it happens that it wasn't his or my job after all..
.......i really don't like to draw from scratch, mostly because of ignorance and lack of practice, and i love manipulating photographs so it's not easy to stop myself from taking shortcuts when doing a painting or rendition.
.. most of my works have some tweaking at some part, that gets vanished for better look, but when i do it from scratch i show it like it is..

..here for instance, after i'm done with shading and highlighting, i will 'probably' add a couple of duplicate layers and play with blending modes to help the painting gain some volume and "weight";.. --Cheating or not that's what i'll do--...
......but here so far , everything is from my head....i didn't want to rely on exact human standard measurements so i haven't checked that either....-i know the arm is way too long, but i will change that branch/arm into a more human-like limp later on....

*-Thanks Andrew, i really believe you and everyone else deserve and explanation when asking about procedures employed in our works..if i get angry, then i must be hiding something... :mad:

Ask all you like, that's what we post our works for, in the first place, don't we ? :angel:

Regards

Smileawhyl
06-22-2004, 08:34 AM
definitely an artist's rendering, worthy of cross-posting in many forums

flowerfancy58
06-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Jet, I agree with Andrew. You are doing sooooo well and I love this sketch.... As was said it's honest:) And........... I can see so many possiblities for it too.

It's one which will carry a message with it when completed. A tender one:)

Only thing suggestion I have (even though you didn't ask for one, lol) is to be careful not to overwork it when you are really to paint it........ remember, that at the sketch stage is says gentle, tender.

gloria

Jet
06-22-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks Patty, i appreciate...lots.!

Gloria, thanks for your remarks.

I'm grateful for the time you all take in reviewing and replying-
-So, please, don't hesitate in pointing out whatever jumps at you when looking at one of my doodles.
i don't get hurt if the picture is being analyzed and then criticized, it's only a picture that needs to be corrected.

...LOL. i know why you're suggesting not to overwork the colorizing process ....LOL.....I know. :D

Thanks

Regards

Michael
06-22-2004, 12:25 PM
First,
I faked the picture Jet drew :D

OK, Now that that is out of the way. Great sketch, don't worry about the bird too much, just start with bold colors and work your way down to more detail, that's what I do anyway :D Kinda hard to keep a WIP that way though...But then I usually do everything all at once...LOL..No patience..I swear :p

Jet
06-22-2004, 09:45 PM
Advancing slowly..
..i had this birdie from another drawing i haven't finished yet... the bird was cloned form somewhere in the web and did some changes to adapt it to this picture...but i haven't decided yet .

--Here is WIP #2 with slight changes, a bird is drawn in different stance ..and..still looks awkward i guess-
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/27782-birdie-x2.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/27782-GB-Wip2.jpg

Questions, Comments, Suggestions & Critique are always welcome !! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/27782-tomato.gif

ps-**edit:.i guess i got it: the bird looks like a miniature dove, and not a small bird......it just hit me..

themanda
06-22-2004, 09:56 PM
great work. this has a lot of potential! two things i notice is that her hand is not large enough, and it looks like she's looking at something just off and past the bird rather than *at* the bird. i really like the surprised look on her face!

you should draw originally more often. you're quite good at it. :)

justjean
06-22-2004, 10:05 PM
Nice work Jet, even to my untrained eye you are galloping ahead :)

Jet
06-23-2004, 03:56 AM
Amanda, Thanks for the pointers, i hope they're somewhat corrected at this stage...

Jean, thanks,
very often, the 'untrained' eyes have the most sincere and unusual ideas too.

--I 'm looking at how different, this is now from the initial drawing...

:mad: i knew i shouldn't have listened to Hummer Von Michael.... :D ..but it's fun as h3ll too !! :cool:

...At this stage, while features get rounded up, i'm checking dimensions, perspective and mismatches of any kind..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2004/27782-GB-Wip3.jpg

All comments and suggestions are welcome
Regards

Cronious
06-23-2004, 06:44 AM
Jet your doing great,

Really good sketch to start with.

Looking forward to how this one works out.

dcorc
06-23-2004, 07:10 AM
Keep going Jet - it's looking good - art's all about observation - the learning curve allows revision and adjustment of the image - it's often surprising just how far the image can be taken. :)

Dave

annja
06-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Jet Liera, I like this scetch, there is freedom in it.
I agree with other people ...

Jet
06-23-2004, 11:20 AM
Thanks all for your words..

Annja, i like your work too
Dave, Master FB, your words mean a lot !
Clare, just running behind you girls...

I added some more canvas to make room for the story to develop...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2004/27782-GB-Wip4.jpg

;)

Jet
06-23-2004, 10:25 PM
WIP #5

I am having problems to make this fit and perspective on left hand...
but i'll fix it later on...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jun-2004/27782-GB-Wip5.jpg

thanks for looking

peoplepainter
06-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Cute and he can draw too!
Jet, this is really coming along in a positive direction. I have been watching it progress to see what you would do next, hoping you would do some things and what do you know? You did them! Her face is looking great and her mouth has really taken shape.
I wish you would exert a little more drawing confidence in what you write as you are doing a great job. Let's face it, after looking at photos for so long you have a good eye you can use when drawing also! It's just a matter of coordinating your mind with your hand. Keep looking at it as if you are looking at a photo you want to manipulate.
It's looking great. :clap:
Put a table under that easel.
Lisa