PDA

View Full Version : CHICAGO and SEATTLE BASED ARTISTS

jlloren
06-22-2004, 03:28 AM
Hi. I am a new member and I am just starting to go back to painting (mostly watercolors, graphite pencil and pastel).

I need help. I am from the Philippines and the availability of materials (paper, brushes, watercolor, etc.) is not very good. The good materials are also quite hard to find and even if you find them at some specialty stores, the prices are sooo expensive. A #10 watercolor brush is sold at about $30. That's almost a week of minimum wage around here!

I will be traveling for a short period to Chicago and then to Seattle (from June 26 to July 8) and I thought it might be a good opportunity for me to look for good outlets where I can buy materials without crippling my meager bank account.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Jakeally
06-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Welcome to the forum jlloren.
You can buy online at Dick Blicks. Reasonable prices and excellent service.
http://www.dickblick.com

I am sure that Chicago and Seattle will have some pretty big Art Shops too. Hopefully someone from that area will drop in to help out ;)

sancyr
06-28-2004, 06:54 PM
Aww crud. I think I missed you. I'm from Guam but lived in Seattle for several years. As soon as you get there, crack open the yellow pages and go to art supplies, you will find many places.

Here's just a big one I googled for:

Utretch
Seattle, WA/USA
1124 Pike Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Phone: (206) 382-9696
Fax: (206) 382-9797

Good luck!

Sara

photogwannabe
07-02-2004, 04:42 PM
hello!

a great place in chicago is:

Pearl Art & Craft Supplies Inc
225 W Chicago Ave
Chicago, IL 60610
(312) 915-0200

and right across the street is a great place for paper (fancy and expenisive, but really good stuff)

LarrySeiler
07-05-2004, 03:03 PM
yep...I'm going to second photogwannabe's suggestion about Pearl...

my son is an artist in Chicago, and took me there once. I like going to Utrecht too across somewhat kiddie corner from the Art Institute...but for prices and the sheer size of the place...my kid was right, Pearl is pretty awesome. Do check it out...

Larry

mame
07-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Having lived in Seattle, this thread caught my eye.

Seattle Art Supply
2108 Western Ave., Seattle, WA 98121
206/625-0711

Daniel Smith Headquartered in Seattle
http://www.danielsmith.com/

Uwajimaya Village- "Uwajimaya, an Asian food and gift market, is a major attraction of the International District. Visitors will find gifts, groceries, kitchenware, produce, seafood, meat, and deli items from many Asian countries, including Japan, China, the Philippines, and Korea. Located in a brand new facility, the International District Uwajimaya is the company's flagship store".

This market has a wonderful selection of brushes, papers, inks as well as the above stated array of products.

University of Washington Book Store - in the U District on the main drag. Ask anyone for directions. Has a pretty good Art Supply Department for a university book store. - and a SUPER ART BOOK department. May be a little less expensive?

jlloren
07-23-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks everyone for all the useful advice. I tried accessing wetcanvass.com while I was in Chicago but because of some glitz, I was unable to.

Anyway, I'm back home and my friend in Seattle was kind enough to have brought to Utretch where I was able to buy some brush, paints and paper. Too bad I was unable to read the posts regarding all the other suggested places. Maybe next time.

Anyway, thanks again!

Joel :p