PDA

View Full Version : "Flower"

Mud Mixer Linda
09-28-2001, 01:53 AM
5x7 watercolor. Missing something - more contrast? Help! (water color is so hard)

Cap
09-28-2001, 07:53 AM
I am not a cat person but I know someone out there that is would find this precious.
Watercolor is hard , that is why I don't do them! lol
The expression on the cats face is the first thing that I noticed, looks like he is mad. Maybe that mouse just got away.
I hope you get the help you need. (I could use it too!)
Come on all you watercolorists reply to this post!!

CarlyHardy
09-28-2001, 12:50 PM
If the background were all dark, he would stand out more. The brown on the side takes away from him...makes me wonder what it is. When I first began with watercolors, I thought of it as putting on eyeshadow (don't know why). You have to use a light touch, the shape of the brush and the flow of the water/paint to get your color onto the paper....then you have to leave it be (that's the tough part). I painted with acrylics and oils before watercolors...big change!

I love cats!
carly

Mud Mixer Linda
09-28-2001, 02:17 PM
Cap, Siamese always look a little "mad-crazy" to me with the crossed eyes.

carly, The brown line is shadow from a frame I put him in. Also the white spot on his head - reflection. He's been hanging on the wall, bothering me. I like the idea of a dark background. I'll try the eye shadow approach. It is just so backwards to work with wc. I'm just glad nobody said that what he needed was a 175-50-15 Thanks

Kathleen-kat
09-28-2001, 03:50 PM
This cat is very nice, especially the eyes are so realistic...
:)
Katy

Mud Mixer Linda
09-28-2001, 04:24 PM
Kathleen, I do tend to get lost in the eyes, at the expense of the rest of the detail I'm afraid.

pampe
09-28-2001, 08:39 PM
very nice...the attention you gave to the eyes brought them to life....especially the white high-light.....your kitty needs some of her whites left, also.

At this stage, I agree about the background, the quickest save for this precious one would be a dark (blue??) background to pop her out and into our hearts!

Nice work, anyway.

Pam

Mud Mixer Linda
09-28-2001, 10:50 PM
Pam,
I agree, I think I'll try for a warm blue like the eyes. (hard to see in the pic. but they are blue.

Thanks, all. You've been a big help. I'll show you the results.