PDA

View Full Version : Sailboat

Michael
06-21-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, I am TRYING to become a bit more proficient with painter, not having much luck yet though. So. i took my meager drawing skills and spent all day attempting to draw a sailboat. Once i did that, badly, I took it into painter and started painting. All imasto brushes. In my haste to start painting I forgot to paint the background first...umm...I will try to remember to do that next time.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2004/31740-sailboatsmall.jpg

lemonbird
06-21-2004, 09:23 PM
This is very nice. :) I love the details on the boat and the texture on the sails really makes them look like they are blowing in the wind. :) Nice job!

Michael
06-21-2004, 09:24 PM
Thanks April!!!

Still upset with what I did with the background though...LOL :p

Michael
06-21-2004, 09:57 PM
Amanda...It IS a sailboat!!!! :mad:

flowerfancy58
06-21-2004, 10:36 PM
Very nice Michael:)

The sails are great looking, nice and billowing.

Here's what to do when using Painter......

1.New image

2. ADD LAYER!!

lol, you will never have the background problem again, I promise:)

gloria

Michael
06-21-2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks gloria,

I thought about that AFTER I posted...LOL

justjean
06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
I like it , the impasto gives a great texture look and the b/g kinda fits in :)

peoplepainter
06-22-2004, 02:41 AM
I like it too! Remember when you make a new layer, the darn impasto shows through from the bottom layer anyway. Sail away!

Jin
06-22-2004, 02:42 AM
Michael,

That's a great start with Painter. I love the sails, too.

Another tip or two to add to Gloria's suggestion to use a Layer:

Do your foreground painting on Layers, then either create another new Layer and drag it down the Layers palette list so it's behind the foreground painting Layers and paint the background, or paint the background on the Canvas.

If you want to separate other elements of the painting, use multiple Layers.

Always save your file frequently, and save it in a numbered series.

If you did that with this painting, you could possibly have a file that contains only the boat. Then you could open that file, select the white background, invert the selection, and click inside the selection to lift the boat to a layer. If there was edge pixel residue left on the Canvas after lifting the boat to a Layer, you'd need to use Ctrl/Command+A then Ctrl/Command+X to clear the Canvas. Now you could either paint the background on the Canvas or on another Layer dragged below the boat Layer.

Warning, since you're using Impasto:

Never use Impasto settings with either Water Colors or Liquid Ink. That will immediately and permanently corrupt your image.

Happy Painting! :)

Jet
06-22-2004, 02:56 AM
Yep , Michael a nice Picture indeed !!

I have loved and hated impasto for all the same reasons expressed above, which at the time i had no idea what was happenning with the painting and why i could never fix the damage :mad: , that's a weird feature that took me out of my comfy zone a couple hundred of times.

Jin, it's such a good idea that you are telling this 'dirty' secret about impassto behavior, as this will save some hair among many frustrated painters going through the same problem...

Thanks

keep it up Mike!!

Michael
06-22-2004, 02:59 AM
thanks Jin,
I will be trying all that out later today...great advis, and thank you too Gloria!!!

Jorge,
Bloody 'ell mate, I've pulled a right good 'mount of bleedin' 'air from me 'ead :D

Yako
06-22-2004, 09:18 AM
Nice picture! I like pictures that have some texture! :) :)

JulieBoyles
06-22-2004, 09:38 AM
This is great Michael!! I hope you continue to do more of this work, I think you're going to be really good at it! :clap: :clap:

Congrats,

Julie

themanda
06-22-2004, 10:46 AM
michael, i didn't say ANYTHING

it's a frigate

i think this is a wonderful done painting of a boat. :) i'd really love to see you do more pieces like this. you've got a lot of talent.

Jin
06-22-2004, 10:48 AM
Jin, it's such a good idea that you are telling this 'dirty' secret about impassto behavior, as this will save some hair among many frustrated painters going through the same problem...

Well, it's not really been a total secret, Jet. It's in the Painter 7 Readme.txt though I'll have to say it should also be in the Painter 8 and Painter 8.1 Readme.html.

In any case, it's a lot easier to ask for help than to experience the same problem over and over again, dontcha think? ;)

On another note:

It's darned annoying that we can't edit our messages after a certain period. (Yes, I know the reasoning, but it's a two edged sword turning off the ability to edit messages.) This edit would be a lot more useful if it were the original post where it belongs:

Add to my Warning not to use Impasto settings with Water Colors or Liquid Ink, that if you're using Impasto variants you should not change the Dab Type to Liquid Ink or Water Color.

Dab Type options are found in the Painter 7 and Painter 6 Brush Controls palette's General section and in the Painter 8 Brush Creator, Stroke Designer tab's General section.

Michael
06-22-2004, 12:28 PM
Thank you all,
You have no idea how helpful you have been to me on this thread. A lot to learn and try, but well worth the effort!!!!

Amanda..It is a boat, It has sails, It is a ketch..soooooo...That makes it a SAILBOAT!!!!!!!

themanda
06-22-2004, 02:25 PM
you'll never convince me...never, i say!!!!

Michael
06-22-2004, 02:30 PM
sail·boat ( P ) Pronunciation Key (slbt)
n.
A small boat propelled partially or wholly by sail.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

sailboat

\Sail"boat`\, n. A boat propelled by a sail or sails.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

sailboat

n : a boat that can be propelled by sails [syn: sailing boat]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

HA!! :D :p