PDA

View Full Version : Wet Canvas Phantom /cue innocent look

stoney
06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
It took several hours and unfamiliar programs to complete.

It was very frustrating, but a lot of fun.

MKathleen
06-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Well stoney aren't you the creative one, is that our stoney avatar behind the Wet Canvas Logo? I didn't know you had your own jet? :D

Charlie's Mum
06-22-2004, 04:27 PM
'twould be nice to see a BIG version! Well done! :clap: :clap: :D

sundiver
06-22-2004, 06:50 PM
:D :D :D :clap:
Have you showed this to the Cafe yet?

stoney
06-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Well stoney aren't you the creative one, is that our stoney avatar behind the Wet Canvas Logo? I didn't know you had your own jet? :D

(BG) shhhh, it's not quite done yet.

I worked on the Phantoms for several years-three different models of them (and, no, none of them were made by Ravel). :D

stoney
06-23-2004, 10:25 AM
'twould be nice to see a BIG version! Well done! :clap: :clap: :D

Thank you. I had to resize the file to 499 x 599 to upload it.

stoney
06-23-2004, 10:26 AM
:D :D :D :clap:
Have you showed this to the Cafe yet?

:) :) No. That hadn't occured to me. I'll do that once it's completed.

dabblerdot
06-23-2004, 12:49 PM
This is fun !! Bet Scott (admin) wishes it were true !! And I thought that it was only famous horses whose names got put on some of the fighter jets ! (read an article on that in a horse mag a couple years ago)

stoney
06-23-2004, 04:20 PM
This is fun !! Bet Scott (admin) wishes it were true !! And I thought that it was only famous horses whose names got put on some of the fighter jets ! (read an article on that in a horse mag a couple years ago)

I have no idea he's even seen the piece. All sorts of things get put on some of the fighters, but the pilot assigned to the aircraft has to pay the artist who does it.

YYcat
06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Oh Stoney beautiful idea, Maybe the jet will visit when it's an open day in 2006 at the airbase my husband works. I showed it to him and he liked it too. :D

stoney
06-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Oh Stoney beautiful idea, Maybe the jet will visit when it's an open day in 2006 at the airbase my husband works. I showed it to him and he liked it too. :D

:D Maybe..... ;)

ajlec2000
06-23-2004, 11:24 PM
I love the Phantom. What a great American workhorse. And now Wet Canvas has one in its airforce!

stoney
06-24-2004, 01:11 AM
I love the Phantom. What a great American workhorse. And now Wet Canvas has one in its airforce!

It was a great workhorse. The aircraft had a lot of firsts. When it first came out it didn't have guns as it was feared it would outrun the 20mm shells. The 20mm cannon (gatling gun) would have been a tool for air-to-air combat.

The question nagged so a 20mm cannon was slung under the fuselage's centerline about midway back of the wings. Tests were good so adaptations were made.

Frankly, the aircraft was a pain-in-the-tail to work on. 25-30 year old wiring harnesses make things 'interesting.' I've eliminated 3-4 splices in a one foot section of cockpit console wiring.

In the front cockpit, the intercom box is port (left) side about where the aft boarding ladder sits, but in the console. In there is also the shaft housing the aircraft internal boarding ladder. Between that and a very large, thick, and still wiring harness, it took two people to install the intercom box.

One person uses a long screwdriver to try and pry the wiring harness enough to give the box access to slide in. Once the box is partway in, the second person literally stands on the thing and applies pressure downward to get the box to drop that last inch. The first person has to be swift to get two of the dzeus fasteners locked in before the standee's leg cramps. Once two are in, that box isn't going anywhere and the last two fasteners aren't a problem.

It's generally a sweaty, long, and cursing process. Language really gets 'creative' if the intercom system fails the operational check. And if you broke a wire......
The Phantom was not built with maintenance in mind.

What I didn't like was coding Mode 4 (IFF) when the cannon was in place. Yes, there's no power on the jet, and all the physical safeties are in place. I don't know anyone who likes the idea of a gatling gun pointed at their midsection while they're working in the nose wheel well.

What I liked less was being notified of an aircraft tail number change for the mission when the aircrew was in the cockpit and engines were on. The aircrew would shut down the port engine, while the starboard side was screaming at idle.

You'd make sure the air crew saw and acknowledged your presence before you walked under the port wing to the centerline and then forward to the nose wheel well where you could stand up. Of course, you are just forward of the engine intakes. If you were to drop something, you can kiss an engine goodbye.

Once you're done and the access panel is secured, you retrace your path and make sure the aircrew sees you're clear of the aircraft. They are now clear to taxi out.