PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Scumble - 6/21 to 6/28

Kathryn Wilson
06-21-2004, 10:54 AM
Every week seems to get shorter and shorter - but here we are on the official 1st day of summer! Fourth of July not too far behind.

I spent the weekend getting my Virtual Gallery up; our mystery guest has been revealed (Barb!); Preston is back from his break from caregiving and sounds like he has got lots to share; Dawn has survived a fire and is off on holiday (I think); Jackie is back from her travels; and Sandy is preparing for a wedding! We are a busy lot - :D

Oh, yes, I just heard that my granddaughters are going to be here for a week at the end of July! Almost 3 years that I haven't seen them and they are such precious little girls (well, not so little anymore) - Alessandra (Sandy) is 16 and Kathryn (Kathy) is 12. Where oh where does time go!

So what is up in your neck of the woods?

sundiver
06-21-2004, 11:24 AM
In my neck of the woods I'm cleaning/organizing my classroom (last day for the students was Friday) and trying to stay abreast of daughter's high school graduation activities, plus get her ready for 6 months in Switzerland.
I was intending to post her grad photo (how long ago was that other thread? a month? :rolleyes: ) but brought a prom one instead. I'll post it anyway, and crop out her date, since I haven't asked his permission to post him. They had a wonderful time.
The graduation ceremony is tonight; promises to be looong with 250 graduates. The one at church yesterday was lovely- only about 20 kids so manageable- and we got all teary-eyed. It will probably be the more memorable of the two ceremonies, actually.
Btw her senior art class had a show last week; Julie sold a plein air and got a portrait commission! :cool:
Here's my baby all dressed up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2004/6393-julie_prom_crop.jpg

Deborah Secor
06-21-2004, 11:30 AM
I know that it is officially Monday here on the east coast, but wanted to pop in and catch up on stuff. Had a great get away,,,,can't wait to get into the studio tomorrow!!

Dawn.I'll be pm-ing my email for your paper on ebay

Dee....got my PJ Friday and always appreciate your articles, but the "White Done Right" deserves an award ! My s/o couldn't believe the eggs were painted without white..he kept questioning me about it till I finally told he had to read it for himself !lol

Preston, I moved this over here so I can respond properly (wouldn't want to respond improperly!) Thanks you so much for your kind words on my article! It means so much that you liked it. I worked hard on that one, especially the illustrations--and there is NO WHITE in them thar eggs. I still have them on my board and I think they may be in the background of one of the pix from my studio, so Barb can testify (if she bothered to look) to their lack of white. This article was inspired by you all here at the pastel forum, you know... If you ever have any issues you'd like to see written up, I would love, love LOVE to know.

I'm on to take Mom to the doctor (a frequent event, this week for bone density test results), then home to take care of sick son (103 degree temp yesterday--17 and like a little kid when sick), then to Bible study tonight (yay!)

I've been painting so much since Barb left. I was really inspired by my three days on location. I simpy have to make a point of it more often. Wish you could all come with me...or I with you.

Deborah

Edited to add, after cross posting: Wow--what a beautiful young woman you have there--and talented too! You are blessed! :D

K Taylor-Green
06-21-2004, 11:55 AM
Oh, Kat what a good time you will have! I am so glad my grandchildren live 20 minutes away. And even so, they grow like weeds.

This weekend was my art guild's annual show, and folks, I am on a roll! I entered 6 pieces in the pastel division. I got a second and a third in portraits, a first in animals, best of division with that first, and Reserve Best of Show in Professional!!!! With a horse in pastel!!! :D :D I can't stop smiling.

We have about 50 members in our guild. There were close to 300 paintings. The judge was a watercolor artist from Columbus, Oh. I got a certificate, and MONEY! And my picture taken and taken and taken!! What a weekend!!

K Taylor-Green
06-21-2004, 12:01 PM
While I was typing, you guys were posting!

Wendy, You have a beautiful daughter!! Six monthes in Switzerland, how cool is that? But you will miss her.

Dee 103 temp doesn't sound good. Hope he is better soon. That baby thing can't be helped, I think it is a male thing!! :D

Kathryn Wilson
06-21-2004, 12:12 PM
Wow, I just know this is going to be an upbeat week for all of us!

Wendy - it is such a special time and I know you will have wonderful memories and hopefully lots of pictures from graduation(s)! She is lovely and looks so grown up - sniff. Getting teary-eyed here.

Kate - that is such wonderful news - so exciting to see a member of WC be recognized for their special talents. :clap: Did you get any photos of the exhibit and you glowing amongst your paintings?

Dee - here's a thought. You are coming east next year - is there time for a workshop?

sundiver
06-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Wowee, Kate!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Fantastic!

DominicM
06-21-2004, 01:19 PM
Kyle, Family reunions are great arn't they.. I only see my sister once every 4 or so years, you mus so be looking forward to when they arrive.

Deborah, will pray you have the Strength of Samson, the Wisdom of Solomon and the Patience of Job, your life seems manic at the minute and you still find time to paint.. ..WOW..
Are you anywhere near those fires that were on our news at the weekend - it sounds bad.. wish I could send you some of our rain...

Kate, great to hear your talents arn't going unnoticed.

Myself, well life goes on, 1 day down 2 to go, have decided to take a long weekend, and maybe try to do some plein air (if this rain stops by then)

Khadres
06-21-2004, 03:00 PM
Yay for all you guys! Specially Kate with the show! Makes ya feel really good, doesn't it???? How MUCH money???? Enough for a trip to Santa Fe maybe????

I'm looking out the window at another very dark, soon to be rainy day again...knowing that when this stops that will be IT for the summer, most likely! It's "official" now...the US Geo Survey folks have classified this as the worst drought in the last 500 years! FIVE HUNDRED!!! I knew it was bad, but this ain't good, folks! So I'm not gonna wish this weepy weather gone!

It's also unusually cool here for Fathers Day week so was hoping to maybe do something plein air before it gets hot again...will have to wait and see if the sun makes a showing later...

meowmeow
06-21-2004, 04:38 PM
Yikes! It's almost July...I can't believe it. My first outdoor show of the season is thie Sat. I didn't do this one last year so it should be interesting. I'm already trying to prepare myself for sitting all day and maybe selling a couple of cards. I'm sure I won't be happy but I know I'll live! :D But I know it's good experience and I get to see everyone else's work and visit too. Then another show the following weekend...trying to get stuff ready and do other stuff as well. It's a busy week. Plus my daughter is taking a class in the evening for a couple of weeks so we have to pick my grandson up at camp. Busy, busy....just like everyone else!

That's great about your granddaughters visiting, Kat.... 3 years without seeing them isn't though! You'll have lots of catching up to do.

Congrats on your daughter's graduation Wendy! That is exciting...she is beautiful, by the way! Just radiant!

Deborah is always too busy...I can't keep up with her...and all that heat to boot! I do hope your son feels better soon!

Congrats to you Kate! That is super...I am not surprised at all...just pleased for you!

I hope everyone has a great week!

Sandy

bnoonan
06-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Kate - I'm doing the happy dance for you!!! What wonderful success with your show.

Deborah - tell Chris I think he needs to lay off that red chile and his temperature will go down right away. By the way - how can you tell you even have a fever when it's 100 degrees outside all the time? tee hee....

Sandy - love the idea of you sitting at the booth and selling your wares. Best of luck with that - it's fun to get some immediate feedback from customers isn't it?

Sooz - congratulations on your wet weather. I'd say run outside naked in it and see what happens but I don't want to start a new habit....

Wendy - I congratulate you as a parent who recognizes the value of travel in one's education. My sister was an exchange student in Buenos Aires and Quito at different times and I've done lots of traveling in recent years. YOu learn so much about yourself and your world by traveling. She's going to soar!!!

Kat - have fun with your grand daughters. It's great when you have visitors come by.

Preston - out of the loop on what you've been doing but if it's caregiving, I'm here for you if you need a shoulder. Been through all of this with my dad in some regard and I know you are most likely going to need a rest to get your energy back.

Well - off to the easel to crank on some music, sip coffee (I'm back to caffeine again - bad thing) and get that adobe into shape.

Barb

K Taylor-Green
06-21-2004, 09:50 PM
Kat, One picture so far. My friend Elaine, took this with her digital, and emailed to me. It's not too awful, so I am posting it. :p Me and my Reserve Best of Show piece, which most of you have seen, by the way. I went with the crop, which must have been right!!

Sooz, Not enough for a trip, but enough for a substantial addition to my pastel box. (Columbus, here I come!!)

Thanks to all for the Congrats!! It is great to share with all of you.

Khadres
06-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Great pic, Kate! Woohoo!

No, Barb, it's way too cold to run outside naked! Snowed just a few hundred feet higher than us, in fact! The dogs go outside naked, but then they think that's normal....

Lisa Olivarez
06-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Wow, Kate! How thrilling! :clap: :clap:

We are in our second week of Summer vacation here. I really hate to mention this to all of you, don't get jealous, but since my husband is a school counselor, and I am a stay at home mom, we have summers off :p. So my husband is going to let me paint a lot, as long as I wash a few dishes here and there, and scrub the toilets (what is it about men and not cleaning toilets?). We'll see what happens.

I feel like I can finally heave a huge sigh and take some time for art after graduating from the first 9 years of child rearing. When my kids were really little, (barely 5, 4, 2 and newborn) it was a good day if I managed a shower. Now I love having them all so close in age. They play magnificently well together!!Praise God! and pass the chocolate.

Heading out on vacation this week. :)
LO

Lisa Olivarez
06-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Great pic, Kate! Woohoo!

No, Barb, it's way too cold to run outside naked! Snowed just a few hundred feet higher than us, in fact! The dogs go outside naked, but then they think that's normal....

LOL

Deborah Secor
06-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Whoooweeee, Kate! Way to go! Love the picture, too. you look like one happy lady.

Barb, Chris told me to tell you this heat just makes it that much worse! Poor kid. He;s worried about having to miss work. He's down to 100 today, and less with Tylenol, so I think he's improving, and tomorrow is another day... Oh, and girl, lay off that coffee!! I'm gonna feel guilty for getting you started again...

Sooz, I'm not surprised at the 500 year drought, unfortunately. Wish I was. A friend's daughter built a brand new house last year, dug a 65 foot well, and it went dry last month. Alllllll gone. They are trucking it in now. This isn't the first one in the greater neighborhood to go dry either. <sigh> For once I'm glad we're on a well system and are number one on the aquifer. (For those of you outside of the western states, I'll do the lecture on water rights later.)
Enjoy the rain!!!!

Kat, we'll talk... ;)

Deborah

cjkelly
06-22-2004, 02:11 AM
Congratulation Kate ... what a morale booster for you. Well deserved.
Deborah, I hope your son gets well soon - illness in summer is just the pits...
And all you folks enduring drought, I feel for you. We went through that the last few years, but this year it seems to have been relieved a bit. Though I'm on my last tank of water now and coming into the driest time of the year.

The last few weeks for me have been hectic and I'm feeling quite drained at the moment.
Hubby agreed to have a trial run of this consulting job in Indonesia and it was all rush, rush to get passports, insurance, injections, luggage, clothes etc. etc. in 2 weeks. Then in the middle we decided to have a garage sale (yard sale), and I was also getting paintings ready for an art show.
Now I'm in a transition period - adjusting to a new routine without hubby - he'll be gone 4 weeks. And not sleeping well.
So today I bought myself a new art book (Drawing the Human Body - by Giovanni Civardi) and a bottle of red wine. Looks like a great book and I hope to do some exercises out of it, though not holding my breath - school holidays next week...*sigh*

Have a great week everyone!

cj

Khadres
06-22-2004, 02:49 AM
Deb, sounds very scary when the wells start running dry! We're on city water, of course, but there's a limit to THAT too...the city has huge rights on the Pueblo Reservoir, which we helped pay for...but Pueblo has had the use of the water for years since we weren't ready to pipeline it yet...didn't need to at the time...now, we're in need of getting the pipeline done so we can have the water, and Pueblo is fighting us on it, saying they "need" it for their "river park project". We'll get it eventually, but I hope it happens before our other resources run dry! I understand the western water rights thing very well from experience...the hydraulic ditch we used to be on in Canon City was the oldest in the state and got water from the Arkansas River before ANYBODY else, so that was nice, but the politicians are busily trying to renege on all that now, too. AND the Californians are getting worried about their swimming pools since the Colorado River is so low...they'll be telling us all to dry up soon, as well! So yes, rain is MORE than welcome around here, except the dogs really were bummed not to get their ball game outside this afternoon....ah, well.... I soothed their ruffled fur with bits of leftover chicken mixed with their kibble. All is now well in the doggie world again.

And HEY, YOU GUYS!! I thought everybody in here was big on the WDE thing!?!?! So how come I only saw sundiver in the list over there!?!? Anyway, congratulate me....I was late, but I finally did do a WDE. OK, I'll admit it...it was fun. I'll likely do 'em again in future....but hope to see some OTHERS from in here, as well! Sheesh!

Kathryn Wilson
06-22-2004, 09:21 AM
And HEY, YOU GUYS!! I thought everybody in here was big on the WDE thing!?!?! So how come I only saw sundiver in the list over there!?!? Anyway, congratulate me....I was late, but I finally did do a WDE. OK, I'll admit it...it was fun. I'll likely do 'em again in future....but hope to see some OTHERS from in here, as well! Sheesh!

Sooz - I've been doing the WDE for well over a year - but there are weekends that other things take over and I just can't get the time to do it or have the energy left at the end of the day. I at least look at the photos and what the people come up with - :)

Kate - I love that photo too - not sure that I've seen that horse painting, but it deserved that award!

Lisa - you lucky dog! Going to paint with Larry Seiler! You will have to fill us in when you get back. Now to go over to the Events thing and read all about it.

Dee and Sooz - the water rights thing has always put me off about moving to the southwest - imagine those poor people having to truck water in to their new home. When we were in Moab, I did note that the Colorado River flowed right by the town, so it might be a good place to look at when we retire. :D

CJ - it is difficult to adjust to a shift in lifestyle, isn't it? Is hubby going to be gone a long time, or just the 4 weeks? Good luck at the art show! Sell out to the walls!

purplelizard
06-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Guilty as charged! :p I love WDE's, but I was celebrating my b-day - actually, I've been celebrating all month! Hubby bought me a pair of Chuck Taylor converse purple high top shoes - i was so excited ! (You'd just have to know me to understand!)

We're going to Port Aransas on Thursday - chance of rain all week - boo hiss - but we're going with another family and we'll make the best of it. So, I'll be out of pocket 'til next Tuesday. No internet there.

congratulations to Kate! WOW!! so exciting! :clap:

cj, hope you settle in soon - new routines can be disconcerting. good choice on wine and a book to keep you occupied! :D

Wendy - wow, six months!? My daughter is a sophomore, and she wants to go to Germany and do the same thing......it would be hard for me to do that, but I know its a wonderful experience. It so much easier to stay connected with them now, then even a few years ago. Good luck and blessings on safe travel for her! (ps - your daughter is just lovely!)

Barb - caffeine is bad??? mmmm, I prefer to call it the "elixir of life" - sounds much more medicinal that way! ;)

Dee - hope your son is getting better - yes, even when they're 40+, they are like little kids when they're ill....the unofficial poll says it is guy thing that makes them this way.

My news of the week - struggling my way through building a website - just a portfolio site, no e-commerce - they guys over in the technology forum have been very helpful, once I got them to explain things at the level of a six-year old - I knew NOTHING about websites, accept how to get to one! So, now I'm working my way through a huge learning curve. I'll get there.

AND....(drum roll...) I sold two paintings yesterday! yea! :clap: very excited about that. There is a ceramic studio in which the owner just loves my work, and I get to display it there - as much as I want, as long as I want. It is not an ideal setting, but they're safer there than in my garage! Anyhow, a dear friend had taken her parents and sister over to look at my work sometime ago - and now one of my oil paintings has been purchased by my friend for her parents' new house - (they told her which one they liked) and she bought one for herself.

They are paintings from about two years ago, and I had recently marked them down to move them and make room for the pastels I'm now doing. Selling my artwork is still fairly new experience for me - it just felt so good to see her welling up with tears of joy, knowing a painting her parents wanted, she was buying for them. And that she was able to finally get another one that she'd been eyeing for some time. (I wished she'd told me sooner, or I'd worked something out with her!)

uh oh, gotta go -kids have music lessons in about 15 minutes! :eek:

kristen

K Taylor-Green
06-22-2004, 06:12 PM
Kristen, That is sooooo exciting!! I'm always elated for days when I sell one.
Have fun on your vacation, rain and all.

meowmeow
06-22-2004, 06:15 PM
Kristen, congratulations! That is wonderful news!!! Good for you!!!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Sandy

purplelizard
06-22-2004, 06:26 PM
thanks, y'all! :) Yea, I'm pretty high from it right now - LOVE that feeling!

I guess I need to be doing things like Kate, and find some competitions to enter. How do I find those? Is there a listing, or online resource to find these?

AND.....I need to hang out in the composition forum and learn....its ok to tease about not knowing the rules/breaking them, and another to expect to continue to sell works, without being conscious of what I'm doing and why. Beginners luck, so far!

It's raining here....and its moving to the coast - yuck. Guess I'll just walk the beach in the rain - we go to get wet, right?! :D

chewie
06-22-2004, 09:34 PM
whoa, what a week for you all! good job on the sales and shows, that's great!!

ooh, no water? we had a pretty dry 3 past years, but this year we are doing pretty well, and its not so terribly hot either. we have these small manmade ponds-dams-and the calves would be so stuck in the muck on the sides, they'd just struggle to death, very sad. so far, our drinking water and cattle tanks haven't been effected. we have artesian water tanks here--not the tasty clear stuff you buy in a bottle, its black, and stinks terrible, has that oily 'rainbow' on the surface, but is free and flows well. so most cattle tanks are this type. its also runs almost hot, kinda fun in the winter!

my big week will be getting ready for the doug dawson workshop!! i am so excited. i have it worked out that my kids (9 & 7) will stay with my parents for the first time, for all 3 days. i am going there for a visit, (they live 600 miles from me)and they will meet me after the workshop, and then i'll go home. it'll be alot of driving, but well worth it for us all. hubby is busy ranching, and the girls just hate some of the stuff they wind up doing! so gee, that leaves me a few extra days, with my art supplies in tow, hmm, a bit of plein air to warm up?!

hope this week is great for you all, but geeze, its looking pretty fine already!! later!~

sundiver
06-22-2004, 10:38 PM
Well, we got Julie all graduated, and with high honors, she was pleased about that.Thanks for all your good wishes! Their Safe Grad was at the YMCA, and they all had a blast, partied all night, swam, climbed walls, etc etc.
Her Swiss adventure is an exchange, which means she'll be back in high school; but in German! She turned down $3000 in university scholarships to do it. She's officially bilingual in English/French, having taken all her schooling in French, and looks forward to learning German. I'm really happy for her, but we're going to miss her soooo much! When she comes back in February there will be a Swiss boy coming with her to stay with us for a semester.

Kristen, your shoes sound wonderful! Purple Converse hightops! My son (20)has had several pairs of red ones and would still, if only we could find any around here.

Sooz, there were lots of pastelists at the WDE, but, true, the regs you usually find here in the Scumble were conspicuously absent this week. However, if it is at all possible that a forum could be even more friendly and supportive than the Pastel Forum, it would be the WDE forum. It's a paint-out party atmosphere all the time, and you will very soon feel part of a fun and eclectic crowd, many of whom you would likely not meet otherwise because they use different media.

Deborah Secor
06-22-2004, 11:03 PM
Great, Kristen! Isn't it fun to have them sell? :D

Chewie, I'm pthalo green with envy that you'll be working with Doug. Enjoy! Be like a sponge and just soak it all up, then share some of it with US!

The doctor says he wants to run some blood tests on my son so we head back to town tomorrow morning for that, assuming he continues to run the fever tonight. The good news is there was nothing obvious going on--no swollen glands or other internal organs--so he figures it's just a virus that has to run its course. I suspected the same, but would prefer to have an expert opinion.

The other bit of hopeful news is it has been cool--in the 70s--cloudy and very promising around here. I heard thunder not long ago! It's raining somewhere not too far off, I think, though not here. In town it was pouring--I wanted to go out and play in it, but the boy has a fever (and it was HE who pointed out to me it wouldn't be a good idea...) We get pretty delirious about rain. When it started, everyone went over to the window to watch...like, what is this mysterious stuff? I'm praying and praying for more, and I'm thankful for every drop!

Deborah

Khadres
06-23-2004, 12:29 AM
Woohoo, Deborah! Get out there and do that rain dance thing! The boy can stay inside and hold down the fort!

We're cool here, too....VERY cool for Father's Day time of year. Usually the bad heat (what we get of it anyway) is from Father's Day weekend through the first of August or so...but I'm not complaining. 70's to low 80's is near perfect for me! We didn't have any more rain today so it must've headed down Dee's way for sure! Was nice while it lasted tho, and they say another cool front is on the way for later this week with MORE chances of wet stuff! So there may be hope for us yet!

purplelizard
06-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Kristen, your shoes sound wonderful! Purple Converse hightops! My son (20)has had several pairs of red ones and would still, if only we could find any around here.

www.converse.com! My hubby had a pair that he was trying to win on ebay, and missed out, then he said NOTHING like them ever appeared again. (He's been on the "hunt" for months!) So, he did a google search and went to their website.

And sundiver, my oldest daugher is taking German - that's why she wants to go to Germany as an exchange student. Our high school had several students, one from Russia and one from Germany - and she befriended them both and they exchanged IM names and email addresses. My, the world is getting small! But, like you, I'd miss her SO much. We'll see what happens...

Its VERY early to be up - my youngest was up, sick w/stomachache. yuck. Couldn't go back to sleep. So, thought I'd duck in here while I wait for the coffee to brew, and keep plugging away at building my website.

Happy (wet) Wednesday!

Kathryn Wilson
06-23-2004, 08:13 AM
. . . . your shoes sound wonderful! Purple Converse hightops! My son (20)has had several pairs of red ones and would still, if only we could find any around here.

Uh oh, y'all have discovered my secret - I have a pair of red Keds lace-ups that I wear when I am painting. The most comfortable pair of sneaks - but I do look like I am ready for a game of basketball. :cool:

Send that cool front our way when you get done with it!

Khadres
06-23-2004, 12:08 PM
Send that cool front our way when you get done with it!

I'm hoping Deborah still has it for a few days down her way, sounds like they could use it...I did put your name on it as the "Forward to:" person after that tho!

Now, I know the shipping costs may be horrendous, but if you could just send us some RAIN to keep us going in the right direction....?

You watch, us Westerners will complain so much about the drought that the Expo in Santa Fe will be inundated just to teach us a lesson!

As for sneakers...the only kind I wear are the slip on deck type if absolutely necessary...I have hot feet and go bare wherever possible...especially during the summer! In winter, it's my Garfield slippers around the house.

I'm going to set up my veggie still life today, I think. I'm anticipating the occasion by dreaming up titles already: "Ode to an Eggplant" has to be one, surely! "Greens with Envy"? "An Onion's Odyssey"! hmmmmmmmm....

K Taylor-Green
06-23-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm hoping Deborah still has it for a few days down her way, sounds like they could use it...I did put your name on it as the "Forward to:" person after that tho!

Now, I know the shipping costs may be horrendous, but if you could just send us some RAIN to keep us going in the right direction....?

You watch, us Westerners will complain so much about the drought that the Expo in Santa Fe will be inundated just to teach us a lesson!

As for sneakers...the only kind I wear are the slip on deck type if absolutely necessary...I have hot feet and go bare wherever possible...especially during the summer! In winter, it's my Garfield slippers around the house.

I'm going to set up my veggie still life today, I think. I'm anticipating the occasion by dreaming up titles already: "Ode to an Eggplant" has to be one, surely! "Greens with Envy"? "An Onion's Odyssey"! hmmmmmmmm....
LOL Sooz, You are just too much!! :D

bnoonan
06-23-2004, 12:42 PM
I'm singing.... :music: :music: STUCK IN THE OL' FOG BANK AGAIN :music: :music:

Care to join in? The heat has been on since I returned from New Mexico and we're enjoying "the marine layer" of fog until at least next week.

So... if case you've never experienced this, imagine walking outside and it's 54 degrees with the wind whipping by you and it's summer. You get in your car and drive about 20 minutes north, south or east and it's sunny, hot and in the 80's. Yup - it's why the rich folks in San Francisco had second homes close by. Me... I'm just watching the fog whisps blow through and waiting till noonish for a sun glimpse for a few hours before it blows back in again. Weird but wonderful!!!

HURRAH FOR THE RAIN DEBORAH. I swear that on the morning I left I could smell wet pavement - you know that smell when rains soaks the asphalt. Guess it was a premonition. Hope Chris' tests come out ok. As for standing out in the rain - remind him that viruses cause colds - not wet heads.

Barb

sundiver
06-23-2004, 01:30 PM
Care to join in?
Barb

I'll join in, because it's the same here, opposite coast.
Sometimes where I live, 25k outside the city (15 miles), it's sunny and hot..cold, damp and foggy in the city. Today it's misty everywhere, tho'. I's gladly send some of our rain to you folks in the dry bits- and the mosquitoes that go with it! :p

Deborah Secor
06-23-2004, 01:59 PM
The doctor says my boy is gonna live... :rolleyes: He said there were no signs of an infection and offered us the chance to go back in today to have blood tests done, if the fever continues, but he seemed to think Chris was fairly healthy and this was just a viral thing. This morning his temp was normal. We'll monitor a bit more to be sure, since it's been spiking at different times, so we still may go in again.

I'd even take mosquitoes to have my trees back, but that's not going to happen... :crying: We won't turn away even one drop of any kind of precip. It never actually rained at my house yesterday, only in the city--but that's good because there are a lot more people there and they need it too!

It's only in the high 60s today. Cool and nice. I need to get out and do some yard work.

Enjoy your fog and rain ladies!

Deborah

PaulaCT
06-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi folks.

I haven't been around much for the last few weeks 'cuz my son Julian and I moved to Washington, D.C. I don't have the computer set up at home yet, so I'm grabbing a few lunchtime minutes at work to see what everyone is up to.

Wendy, your daugher is such a beautiful young woman. You must be so proud.

Kate -- congratulations, it's much deserved. I like the crop, by the way.

Lisa -- purple CT hightops! Your husband has great instincts. I'll have to visit the Converse web site and look those up. My kids love their all-black hightops, but purple could convert me, too.

CJ, how exciting about your trip to Indonesia. Makes me think of a book I just finished reading by Rita Golden Gelman called "Tales of a Female Nomad." It's terrific. Has anyone else read it?

Deborah, I'm glad Chris is on the mend -- I hope he's up and back to work in no time. I'm crushed that I missed the paintout with you, PJO, Barb and Maggie! Dang, I leave the state and miss the best painting event by days.

Barb, your "color studies" from New Mexico are wonderful. They look like paintings to me!

Here in D.C. my son and I are trying to adjust to a little weather phenomenon called "humidity." Why do 90 humid degrees feel worse than 100 dry degrees? Why am I having trouble breathing? How am I going to afford my air-conditioning bills? :p

On the other hand, this city is incredible. My middle son is visiting us for 3 weeks, and on Monday I took a vacation day so we could all take a tourist trolley around town. We stopped at the National Archives and saw the original Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights. I was so overwhelmed that I cried, and embarassed my boys. And from the sublime to the ridiculous... this Saturday we'll visit the Natural History Museum where they have an insect petting zoo. If you arrive at feeding time you can be crawled upon by 6-inch Madagascar cockroaches. My boys are thrilled at the prospect; I'm thinking about it.

No painting yet, but I did get as far as deciding which area of our little leased row house will be my "studio."

Ciao, everyone, back to work.

-PaulaCT

meowmeow
06-23-2004, 05:08 PM
Too much to keep up with here!!!! But...what I remember...I am glad you son is getting better, Deborah! Lisa, that paint out with Larry sounds fabulous! And CJ I hope things go well...it sounds fun and scary and very hectic.
I know I missed some stuff...nothing personal!

I spent the first part of the day helping at the local art group's gallery...it was time to change the paintings so we had stuff coming and in and stuff leaving and boy, that gets hectic. Then some of us went to have lunch and of course the place we wanted to go was closed so there was this caravan of cars of middle aged women driving around town looking for an open place for lunch!
Then when I got home I saw that my lilies are blooming and if I set up right there was nice backlighting and a great shadow so I lugged my stuff out and sat down...and of course it was so much hotter thann I thought that my face started dripping almost immediately. Oi! Sweat dripping onto my pastel as I tried to work quickly...very frustrating because there are no clouds so I knew the sun would stay the same for a while but although I got a nice start I finally had to give in...I was drenched. Soaked the towel I brought out to mop myself up with. Boy, I don't know how people do it.

Anyhow, it looks like everyone is busy and mostly having a good time. Keep that up!!!!

Mary Robinson
06-23-2004, 08:47 PM
I made it back, I think...

Kate, congrats, well deserved, you do fantastic work!
Wendy, your daughter is beautiful, I hope she enjoys her time abroad, I loved Europe.
Paula, I hope you and your son like living in DC, my daughter was out there for a few months, said there was so much going on, things to see and learn about.
Deborah, hope your son feels better.

Congrats to you also, Kristin on your sales ;).

Chewie, I loved the first piece you did in your new studio, hope it brings you much joy.

Barb, coffee is very good for you, it helps diabetics and helps prevent kidney stones, also people with parkinson's...etc, etc, etc....I drink 5 pots of the stuff a day, have been drinking it since I was 2 yrs old. I'm a midget (all of 5' tall), but I'm a healthy midget ;)

As for me, I've been busy rebuilding my computer. After the Power Supply blew I had to replace the motherboard and the power supply and the ram and the video card and then I broke a pin on the hard drive and spent three days trying to install windows on the new one. Winblows decided not to co-operate fully with me, which is why it took 3 days. It's a good thing I'm geeky or I'd have beat the thing to death. We are building a new kennel for our pups so they have some place safe to run around outside and a new condo for the puppy as he's particularly snobbish and won't sleep in a regular doghouse, he has to have an 8 x 10 sized one :D . I'm drawing the line at an air conditioner though, he'll just have to jump in the pool like the rest of us. And I have something to show you all, my garden has started blooming, except, it appears to be midget sized like myself. Anyone ever see bearded irises this short? They are all growing this way, I've got 6 iris blooms on the ground, practically :D . Can you imagine what those are going to look like fully opened? Boogles the mind it does. The Sunflowers which are supposed to be 5 to 6 feet tall are 3 feet tall and blooming. Everything else has blooms also, but is shorter than it's supposed to be, maybe I should stop dumping the leftover coffee out there, think it's stunting their growth? :evil:

Mary

Khadres
06-23-2004, 10:51 PM
Ummm....AkaM...you aren't living over an underground testing spot are you by any chance? That is truly bizarre! Maybe you've just invented a new variety! Very strange, indeed!

Sounds like you have a completely new computer by now. Windoze XP gave us fits too when we upgraded our systems, too. I don't think they've improved anything with this latest version...locating stuff in it drives me wild sometimes.

Glad you're back up and online, tho. Let us know when the doggie condo is done and I'll send my bunch up for a visit....you did say "pool", didn't you? They love to swim!

DominicM
06-24-2004, 02:51 AM
I have something to show you all, my garden has started blooming, except, it appears to be midget sized like myself. Anyone ever see bearded irises this short? ... ...The Sunflowers which are supposed to be 5 to 6 feet tall are 3 feet tall and blooming. Everything else has blooms also, but is shorter than it's supposed to be

Some plants have have a habit of reducing in height the further north you plant them...

However I would not call Washington far north enough for this to apply, this sounds like it might be nutrient issue to me - especially if everything is vertically challenged, maybe you can get some of Kates horse manure in the fall, and dig it into your flowerbeds ready for next year.

Kitty Wallis
06-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Care to join in? The heat has been on since I returned from New Mexico and we're enjoying "the marine layer" of fog until at least next week.
Barb

Ever hear the line from the song: 'I feel like a bird that has flown south for the winter only to come back and find it's still wintertime.' ? :rolleyes:

DominicM
06-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Barb/Kitty

Sorry dont know either these songs, this must be some of the American folk/pop culture I am missin'

Mary Robinson
06-24-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't know whether they are lacking nutrients or not, we dug up the beds, removed what was in there (mostly rock, we grow rocks really well up here), put in potting soil, rabbit manure, cow manure and peat moss. I miracle grow them once a week and last week I threw some hormone stuff on them. I'm not going to complain about the size too much though, I managed to kill a cactus in Florida and there is nothing but sand and cactus down there. I have thumb blacker than anything you've ever seen. My daughters used to place bets on how fast I could kill some new plant I'd picked up :evil: . Sorry, Khadres, the pool is midget-sized too, one of those itty bitty ones you get to keep the grandkids from driving you nuts :D . As for joining in on the singing, errrr, I could hurt you guys, badly with my voice :evil: :evil: .

Deborah and Maggie, loved reading your articles in PJ. And I picked up The Pastel Artist's Handbook. Thanks again :)

Mary

cjkelly
06-24-2004, 06:25 PM
CJ, how exciting about your trip to Indonesia. Makes me think of a book I just finished reading by Rita Golden Gelman called "Tales of a Female Nomad." It's terrific. Has anyone else read it?

Unfortunately I get to stay here in Oz. The sugar plantation hubby is working on is massive, but basic and isolated, so there are no schools, town, etc for about 150 kms. If he decides to take up the 6 month offer to work there, we (the kids and I) may go over and visit him - any excuse to go shopping in Singapore! :evil: They fly him home for 2 weeks, after every 4 week stint. So I'm spending quite a bit of my 'art time' adding to my duty-free shopping list :D
He's under strict instuctions to send home good photos, and my daughter's eyes boggled the other day when he said workers in a paddock reported seeing a tiger.

I didn't do any good in the art show, don't think I sold anything either, but I've decided to beat the blues the best way I know how. I've ordered a set of Terry Ludwig landscape pastels, a 30 set of Schmincke, and some Cray-pas Specialist and Caran D'Ache Neopastels (set of 24). :evil:
Feeling much better - but not nearly as good as when I actually have them in my dusty little paws.... :D

Hope the rains keep falling....

cj

Khadres
06-24-2004, 07:55 PM
cjk, can't believe you didn't sell out at the art show! You do such great stuff! A TIGER???? Oh, wow, I hope he has a camera along for sure!...WITH a telephoto....:D

Shopping in Singapore? That sounds fun! Wonder if they have any good art supply places??? Hope you enjoy your new goodies when they get there! Should be fun playing with all that stuff.

Sugar plantation, eh? Sounds like that part of the Thorn Birds....lol, what an exotic life you lead! I do hope your water supply gets renewed soon!

cjkelly
06-24-2004, 10:25 PM
Lol...Sooz, it doesn't feel too exotic from where I'm sitting, just the usual piles of dirty dishes and laundry here! :p
Though I did go on a rather fruitless bear-hunt with my 4yo boy yesterday, all the way down to the river and back, only to be informed on our return that there were ten bears hiding in the bathroom, and one up a tree in the yard. :D Does that count?

Saw a science program on telly last night about people's personalities being dominated by either the left or right side of the brain. Left Brainers are more inquisitive, and bold than the Right Brainers who are very cautious and a little anxious. I think I fall into the latter category! It was really interesting....

Just got my PJ and recognised that white cat immediately! Can't wait to boil the kettle and sit down and read Deborah and Maggie's articles. Looks like a really great issue ...*rubbing hands with glee*...

cj

Khadres
06-25-2004, 12:36 AM
That's okay....it's the right brainers who're the most creative, even if what they create scares 'em to death! :D

Bears?? Koalas? Tell the lad that we have BLACK bears here, much bigger and addicted to jelly donuts and garbage. The people on the west side of town are always complaining about the poor things coming down out of the mtns for something to eat. With the drought and all, there have been more than usual raiding cooling pies on back decks and such. They're pretty much harmless as far as eating small boys, tho. The cougars are a bit more troublesome...and stupid people WILL insist on leaving their poor little chihuahas tied outside...not a good thing, but I can't blame the critters...they're very hungry and thirsty this year. We often forget that droughts are even harder on the wildlife than they are on us.

Khadres
06-25-2004, 12:47 AM
I know that you guys don't really know me very well, I haven't been here that long and all, but I hope you can find it in your hearts to help me in the coming days.

I can't tell you any details right now, but please pray for my younger daughter, Melissa. She's at a tough crossroads in her life and needs all the help she can get! It's very hard for her father, sister, and I to have to stand aside and let her find her own way to paying for past mistakes, but it's the only thing that will possibly save her future and her life. It's awful when parents can no longer come to the rescue and fix things, but this is something we can't do for her. I just pray she finds the strength she needs because it's not going to be easy or anywhere close. I know she's feeling quite frightened and alone right now, and your good wishes might help a little? She's a good girl at heart, but she took a wrong turn awhile back, like so many young people today, and she's had a real struggle to get back on track.

Thanks, guys.

bnoonan
06-25-2004, 03:49 AM
Sooz,

I think I can speak for the others in saying that we're here for you and Melissa. None of us can even come close to walking in each other's shoes and I'm sure we can't begin to know what's ahead of you and your family. So... best thing we can do is be there for you.

Barb

DominicM
06-25-2004, 04:20 AM
Sooz,

Will gladly pray for you and your family at this time, its all I can do being so far away, and like Barb says, when/if you need us, we will be here.

cjkelly
06-25-2004, 04:57 AM
Sooz, I think it goes without saying that all the support we are able to offer in our cyber world is at your disposal. I hope you and your family find the strength and light you need right now.

cj

PS. not sure what bears the little fella was seeing, as we don't actually have any bears in Oz, even the Koalas are not actually 'bears', they're more like wombats that thought they deserved a better view.....

Khadres
06-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Sooz, I think it goes without saying that all the support we are able to offer in our cyber world is at your disposal. I hope you and your family find the strength and light you need right now.

cj

PS. not sure what bears the little fella was seeing, as we don't actually have any bears in Oz, even the Koalas are not actually 'bears', they're more like wombats that thought they deserved a better view.....

Thanks, cj...means a lot to have good friends, cyber or otherwise. And I've always wondered....what IS a wombat?

Khadres
06-25-2004, 10:11 AM
Barb and Dominic, your support means so much to me and knowing y'all are here to lend a shoulder to lean on now and then helps far more than you know. I'm sure Melissa would thank you for your caring, too, if she knew. Again, thanks.

meowmeow
06-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Just checking up on everyone quickly....busy packing up for my show tomorrow. I have to load up but I am not sure right now what is happening. The weather is...well...it's Maine. Yuck! It is overcast and humid right now but rain is coming in and is supposed to stop sometime tomorrow. So...I'll just have to see. If I waie up at 6am and it is pouring I will probably just roll over. But if it is just drizzly I'll go and try setting up. I have everything packed up in plastic tubs with the paintings wrapped in towels and then the whole tub covered in heavy duty plastic.
Wish me luck! :D

bnoonan
06-25-2004, 04:33 PM
Good luck my friend with the art show. Unfortunately I know all too well how unpredicable that weather can be. Hope you get to shwo your work and sell a lot.

I'm off the computer for a little bit now so I'll check back in later.

B

Deborah Secor
06-25-2004, 07:34 PM
My best to you, Sandy, for weather and sales!

I spent today walking through a big fair we have here yearly, about 200 artists. It's a 3 1/2 day outdoor fair. It was fun to see a lot of old friends, as I did the show for some 20 years... It's also nice not to have to stay there for all that time! It was getting very hot out on the pavement, even though the streets are lined with big elm trees. Maggie is there and her booth looks terrific! The work is stunning--by far the best there. She puts on a good show, let me tell ya. One classy lady!

I'm going into writing mode these next few days. writewritewritewritewritewritewritewritewritewrite

Deborah

K Taylor-Green
06-26-2004, 01:41 AM
I know that you guys don't really know me very well, I haven't been here that long and all, but I hope you can find it in your hearts to help me in the coming days.

I can't tell you any details right now, but please pray for my younger daughter, Melissa. She's at a tough crossroads in her life and needs all the help she can get! It's very hard for her father, sister, and I to have to stand aside and let her find her own way to paying for past mistakes, but it's the only thing that will possibly save her future and her life. It's awful when parents can no longer come to the rescue and fix things, but this is something we can't do for her. I just pray she finds the strength she needs because it's not going to be easy or anywhere close. I know she's feeling quite frightened and alone right now, and your good wishes might help a little? She's a good girl at heart, but she took a wrong turn awhile back, like so many young people today, and she's had a real struggle to get back on track.

Thanks, guys.
Sooz, I'm here for you. I have two grown daughters, and have been blessed in the choices they have made. Just love her, and know that my thoughts, all our thoughts, are with you and Melissa.

meowmeow
06-26-2004, 07:47 AM
((Sooz)) I know exactly what you are going through and I really feel for you. Our daughter had a tortuous adolesence...but we ended up with a wonderful grandson who is now 8 1/2 and she is getting married this summer to a terrific guy. So sometimes there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for all of you!!!

Kathryn Wilson
06-26-2004, 08:10 AM
{{{{Sooz}}}} My thoughts and prayers are with your daughter - it is so hard for a family to stand back and let their young ones make their mistakes and learn from them. You want to hold on to them forever and make things right, but it doesn't work that way. I didn't have daughters - but my oldest son had a very difficult time in his young life, so I know what you are going through.

Just know we are here to talk to - that's the best medicine for you right now

Kat

cjkelly
06-26-2004, 08:45 AM
A wombat for Sooz

Khadres
06-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks, Kate, Kat, meow...thanks for your support! You guys are the best! What a mess this is, but Gary and I just have to keep reminding ourselves that it wasn't our choices that made it this way and let the chips fall where they may. Our other daughter is such a responsible sort (and she's the one cursed with medical problems!), and so was Melissa until just a little over a year ago...the whole thing is a nightmare. Oh, well. We do what we can without "enabling" her behavior any further...and here I thought getting the two girls grown and out on their own would mean peace and tranquility for G and I! HAH!

CJ, those wombats look so CUTE! They don't eat people or anything, do they? (Trying not to envision some horrible B grade horror movie like "Night of the Slavering Wombat" or something!) It's easy to see the relationship between them and koalas, too. I knew they weren't real bears....you guys have some real one of a kind species over there!

Deborah Secor
06-26-2004, 12:13 PM
Sooz, it is so hard to give our kids the room to become adults, making adult decisions, and paying the consequences. We all have such hopes and fears for our kids, and it seems we moms are the ones who hold their histories locked in our hearts like a treasure chest where we've put every observation of their strengths, talents, and gifts, every hope and prayer we've had for them, all the love we've felt and sometimes been unable or unwelcome to express. We so want to unlock that treasure chest and share with them all that's there, all the things we know about them that they can't seem to see.

In some ways we know more about our children than they know about themselves, if only because we have a larger worldview and we knew them when they were little and unable to hide their hearts or work the angles to make things seem different about themselves... There are days when I've wanted to hogtie my son, set him down in a safe place and tell him all the things I know about him so he won't make any mistakes. I want to say, don't you see how you're this way and if you do that it will be a mistake? Can't you see that the things you've done can't be remedied by doing that? You aren't that kind of person and making that decision won't change you? But the fact is, he has to go through it all himself, just as I did (and still do) and as we all continue to do. It doesn't change a mother's heart, though, does it? I'll pray for you and your family, and especially for Melissa--promise.

My son, Chris, was just accepted to the School of Ministry. He's definitely off to another chapter of his life now! Funny thing is, I still want to hogtie him and start telling him things, even though this is a good direction for him to be heading. I guess some of it is that he'll be living at home but not be as connected to us and I don't quite know how to define my role yet, you know? Some of you are going through this same thing, and some of you have gone through it, so I welcome advice!

Okay, now I need to go writewritewriteetc

Deborah

(Oh my, I can get so philosophical sometimes, can't I? :rolleyes: You all can just pray for me, too!)

SweetBabyJ
06-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Practice saying this, Deborah: "I'm just your friend, not your mother".

See, that's the role you have to assume now when your son tries out his new wings "solo" as it were. He's going to fall, he's going to hit the ground hard a few times, and, where before you were SUPPOSED to help him back up, now you have to stand back and let him haul himself up on his own. It isn't easy- it's exasperating, frustrating and sometimes annoying, but your role now is no longer to guide so much as witness.

Set the rules for the household matters as if he were a border- he doesn't have to knock on the door when he comes home, but his friends sure do. Realize this is the transition from "his house" to "your house"- that's what the goal is here. Now is when he needs to step up and take responsibility for those day-to-day life things- like buying his own toiletries (and discovering maybe his hair really DOESN'T need the salon brand), his own snacks, paying his own phone or cable, doing his own laundry- little things that young adults don't always think about. School's important, but whether he goes to school or not, life goes on, and life's gotta be paid for every single day.

I'm not saying you're no longer Mom, and that you need to divorce yourself from that role, but that the role is changing now- and your care and concern need to start being- hmmmm- sublimated- given a back seat. You have to pull back some, so that he can jump, and wobble and soar and steer and fly on his own.

On the bright side, just think: Soon, another room opens up for your art stuff, soon, there's one less bathroom to clean alla time, soon, one steak feeds two, soon the dishwasher only has to be run every three days, soon, when the phone rings, you know it's for you....

Deborah Secor
06-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Hey Julie, forgive me for not being sure, since we talk here all the time, but how many kids do you have and what ages are they now?

You suggest:
buying his own toiletries (and discovering maybe his hair really DOESN'T need the salon brand)
Good idea! He's been known to use up my hair spray. He already gets his own shave cream and deodorant--I guess now I need to move the hair spray to where he can't find it... :p

his own snacks,
This would add about a million dollars back into the budget! His dad would miss them, though... ;)

paying his own phone or cable,
No cable in our house, and only one phone line...

doing his own laundry
He's doing it right now--I abandoned it last year. Once he went without his favorite shirt once or twice he got the idea.

another room opens up for your art stuff,
That will be nice!

there's one less bathroom to clean alla time,
Only have one GIANT bathroom that we all use...the other is downstairs and will still need cleaning. <sigh>

one steak feeds two,
Steak? LOL That might be nice! :D

soon the dishwasher only has to be run every three days,
I don't have a dishwasher except for the kid, who is now a professional (he works as a dishwasher in a local restaurant.) May have to try to get one of those new-fangled plug-in type when he leaves home...

when the phone rings, you know it's for you....
Right now he has a hard time getting the phone cause I'm online all the time here at WC!

I guess we aren't typical, but then who really is? I like the idea of his snacks and our steak, and I admit to scheming on his room. I figure I can make his single bed into a daybed, cover the carpet, put a picture window in the wall for great north light and voila! My studio.

You know what? I'm still not writingwritingwritingwriting... Somebody make me go do that!

Deborah

SweetBabyJ
06-26-2004, 03:05 PM
I've three sons- eldest is 27, the youngest is 24 now, married and thankfully holding off on grandkids, since financially, they're still too new at this "Ut-oh- the car's engine needs rebuilt" stuff. They all moved out and moved back a few times between 18 and 24 or so- THAT gets old, fast. But it wasn't until *I* shifted from Mom/TheFixer to Mom/JustAnotherEar that *I* finally got peace of mind. I guess that's what I'm warning you about- it's sometimes hard to give up that role, but it's sure easier once the little things (like toiletries, et al) are de rigeur.

Any of mine know they can always come home- just, not for long.

Khadres
06-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the tips, SBJ, and the prayers, Deborah. I just wish toiletries were our only problem here! In our case, I'm afraid words like "addiction" and "jail" figure in. I keep telling myself this too will pass, but it's VERY difficult since neither of those words ever fit into my vocabulary before.

All I can do is keep on keepin' on and hope. Y'all's support means so much...

Kitty Wallis
06-27-2004, 03:15 AM
For those of you going thru the fledglings leaving the nest, however gracefully or not, there is life after the acting out years.

I'm happy every day to see my son when he comes in to work with me on the paper business. We go for Sushi lunches, have small arguments about getting things done. We are a good team together; he's the business brain and I'm the artist mind. And we listen to each other and learn from each other. But then he IS 41. :eek:

Another subject: :music: I had my audition today, for the Portland Symphonic Choir and I did good. I've been nervous about it for weeks! I even got applause after my solo! That's a first. :music:

meowmeow
06-27-2004, 08:04 AM
Congrats Kitty! That's exciting! So you are musical as well as artistic! I'm impressed!

It is difficult, Sooz. And I know that people who have not been there don't really always understand (some do) but just hang in and hopefully it will all work out. Mine lived on the edges of those issues but everyone she associated with was in the thick of it. We spent a lot of time talking to various therapists, both for her and us. Don't forget that you may need help coping with it all. There is nothing wrong in admitting you need help too! Anyhow, I'll be thinking of you and if you need to talk more just PM or email.

s.

Kitty Wallis
06-27-2004, 01:10 PM
We spent a lot of time talking to various therapists, both for her and us. Don't forget that you may need help coping with it all. There is nothing wrong in admitting you need help too! Anyhow, I'll be thinking of you and if you need to talk more just PM or email.
s.

Excellent advice!
Sooz, I'm here for you too, as you know. Sandy's advice is so important.

Khadres
06-27-2004, 01:50 PM
You guys are the best! I knew you'd understand. We've talked this whole thing to death with all sorts of knowledgeable folks who've been there with these problems for years; they all say the same thing -- she has to pull herself out of this on her own and we have to steer clear of feeling like it must be our fault for being bad parents, etc. etc. I think we've managed to keep our head on straight pretty well, considering, but a lot of that depends on how well we can distance ourselves from the situation mentally and emotionally. It's not too bad now when we don't have it all in our face every minute, but boy, when she pops up with another problem to solve, it can be a stemwinder into the bottom of the mental hole again at least temporarily.

I have let go in that sense all moms have to....the thing where you truly realize for the first time that your child is a separate human being responsible for their own lives and that you can no longer insist they brush their teeth after meals if they don't want to, so to speak. And that you shouldn't WANT to either. And I don't! My frustration now is going from anger to fear to outright confusion and back again, all while still loving the idiot kid in spite of everything she's done to us and to herself. We WANT to believe she can kick this, but at the same time there's a niggling thorn of fear and doubt that keeps whispering in the back of the mind that maybe she can't. This drug is so insidious and vile that we have to keep reminding ourselves that Missy, our special Missy, isn't there on the outter layers anymore. It's like a strange and alien creature has taken over her body and mind right now and we can only hope against hope that Missy is still in there somewhere fighting to win herself back. We've accepted the counsel of those who know what needs to be done, but we have yet to convince HER to do the same. She'll have to come to that on her own and the waiting and worrying is pretty grim.

Anyway, I'm going to close this subject for the time being. You guys are there with such wonderful support and wisdom, I can't tell you how much it means to us. I'll keep you posted when there's anything new in the struggle to report. As of now, she's out of jail on bond and has a court date next week. She's staying with friends and I hope they can have some influence with her. Time will tell.

Artistammy
06-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Sooz, I'll be praying for your family. IT makes our problems with our 20 yr old seem a lot smaller. Basically, just being more responsible- picking up dirty clothes, not speeding, remembering to do things. Sometimes I think an empty nest sounds marvelous. lol

Khadres
06-27-2004, 10:30 PM
When Mel was 20, I thought we had it made, too...this has come as a terrible kick in the head, believe me. But treasure your forgetful speeder while you can...he may be gone off on his own sooner than you think! Thanks for your kind thoughts!