PDA

View Full Version : Why, Judas?

peoplepainter
06-21-2004, 04:46 AM
As we all know by now, I am Queen of Blending so in order to challenge myself I left ALL the paint strokes in this one. Joel will be so proud.
I am not sure why, but I was thinking about what Jesus' human side must have thought when he learned of the betrayal by his friend so I tried to capture that emotion. That happens when it is late and everyone else is asleep.
I would like to paint the whole scene someday but I won't hold my breath. That would be an undertaking.
In any case, roughly 2 hours, free-hand, Painter 8, Wacom pen and my brain.
For some reason it shows up darker here than at home.
There it is.
Detail below.
Have a great day!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2004/43849-WhyJudas.jpg

SoniKalien
06-21-2004, 05:06 AM
I can see why you like blending, and congratulations on this one - leaving it non-blended has just given it that hard look that betrays the emotions..

yea ;)

:clap:

peoplepainter
06-21-2004, 05:10 AM
Thanks for noticing. I think that hard look is why I chose this subject. It wouldn't be good for a pic of him say, with children.
Thanks for the comments.
Lisa

Jet
06-21-2004, 07:55 AM
Awesome, a beautiful picture..

Masterfully executed...http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2004/27782-bowdown.gif

You should teach this stuff !!

Regards

Yako
06-21-2004, 09:06 AM
Wow! It really transmits a message!....Outstanding!..... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Very expressive eyes!

flowerfancy58
06-21-2004, 09:57 AM
Excellent Lisa, the eyes say it all:)

gloria

Elvira
06-21-2004, 10:10 AM
A great portrayal! I love the texture of the strokes! Your expression i right on. No this technique may not fit with children with no life yet written in their faces but it certianly will add character and the story of life to the faces of your adults that don't want it erased as too many seem to these days considering how much money is spent on removing any trace of life's experience from their faces by surgery, LOL I love forward to seeing more character portraits from you, can be outstanding!!!!!!!
Edie

themanda
06-21-2004, 10:15 AM
another excellent piece. very meaningful!

JCoop
06-21-2004, 02:37 PM
As we all know by now, I am Queen of Blending so in order to challenge myself I left ALL the paint strokes in this one. Joel will be so proud.

Lisa, as it turns out, I'm proud of you with or without blending! :)

Your work is so top shelf! This piece is powerful... I can sense the betrayal in his expression. Lovely use of "earthy" colors to further accentuate his dramatic expressive gaze. There are no distractions. Lisa, I bow before your artistic greatness.

peoplepainter
06-21-2004, 03:23 PM
To Jet, Yako, Flowerfancy, Elvira, Themanda, and Jcoop
Why thanks, ya'll! I was actually nervous to post this because it is SO different from my regular portrait style, you know? (Of course you do)
When I look at it I wonder what is in the rest of the picture and that bugs me but it's a start.
Jet, YOU are the teacher! I have learned so much from your tips and tut's...stuff I never even knew existed.
Yako, thanks. I find it difficult to convey emotion since I am so used to standard portraits. I will keep trying.
Flowerfancy, my favorite part of any painting is the eyes...even in paintings that have no eyes...LOL
Elvira, though I joke about plastic surgery and how I would love it, I do agree with you. Why erase your life experiences? The fun part of any face is its character. I'll keep looking for faces with character and practice on that. Also, you are a nice lady and I am glad you are here.
Themanda, thanks. I am glad there was some meaning expresssed in this pic. Thank you so much for that comment.
Joel, we have a mutual admiration society in the making here. You know how much I love your style, use of color, and incredible technique. I also admire the poetic way you make your comments. Thank you so much, my friend.

Thanks again, all.

Lisa

Michael
06-21-2004, 05:09 PM
Beautiful rendition, especially the hard edge you have left in the facial features.

I can see the dissapointment and sorrow in his eyes, and the need to understand why.

peoplepainter
06-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Why thanks, Red. I guess it's not a good idea to make a funny about a painting with this subject matter. I'll just know you thought of something and smile...

Michael
06-22-2004, 02:43 AM
No, nothing funny this time.
I found this to be a powerful and provocative painting. Very powerful and spiritual in its nature.

Jin
06-22-2004, 02:55 AM
Lisa,

This is not only a beautiful painting, it's so full of your sensitivity to the subject.

I find this style much more interesting than paintings with everything smoothed out, though I do very much like all of your paintings and do understand that style is preferred by a lot of people.

Leaving the brushstrokes visible, gives us the real hand of the artist. It helps to convey the mood, the place, the subject's age, physical condition, and emotions.

As to what I see in His expression:

Sadness, compassion for his friend, and great understanding of why His... human.. friend betrayed Him.

After all, His life, crucifixion, and ressurection was all about understanding us and loving us.

It's we who feel the need to learn why we behave the way we do.

It's a wonderful piece of work, Lisa.

Thanks for sharing this beautiful and moving piece with us. :)

P.S. It is dark, but that seems to enhance the message.

peoplepainter
06-22-2004, 03:03 AM
Well Jin, I must say I sincerely appreciate what you have said about the brush strokes but most importantly, the piece itself. I love the way you put it. We all have sides to ourselves that might surprise others here at WC (since most of the time things are light and fun). This is one I didn't want to say too much about, but the subject is important to me. It really makes me feel great to see you received some benefit or had a reflective thought based on this one. Really, thank you very much.

Red, I am not shocked but I am happily surprised to see yet another level to your fantastic personality. Thanks for your words.

Jin
06-22-2004, 03:38 AM
Lisa,

It was a great pleasure to be able to look at a painting and feel, think, and want to say something about it, more than "Oh what a wonderful painting. You're so talented." and similar comments we read so often.

Thank you again for sharing both yourself and your talent with us.

I'll be thinking about this painting for a long time.

:)

JulieBoyles
06-22-2004, 09:52 AM
Lisa,

I think this is one of those "take your breath away" paintings. Technically it is great as far as composition, color, etc. I too like the looser brushstrokes. But what takes my breath away is the emotion of the piece and how it really made me think about the meaning. I'm so glad you did this piece and that you posted it. I hope you do more like this!

Congrats,

Julie

peoplepainter
06-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Julie,
Thank you so much. I was sure you would know where this came from but I am thrilled you were able to SEE emotion it in. When inspired again I will do more. Thanks again.

Lisa

BTW, Your comment to JCoop calling him Mr. President had me laughing. That was a cool painting.

Cronious
06-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Lisa,

I am in awe. I love the emotion and power that this image conveys. The looser style is beautiful and works so well.

justjean
06-23-2004, 08:06 AM
Everything about this painting is BEAUTIFUL :clap: :clap: :clap:

peoplepainter
06-24-2004, 03:35 AM
Cronious and Justjean:
You are so sweet. Cronious, I am glad you like the looser style as you know I struggle with that. Justjean, "beautiful" made me smile....
Thanks both of you.

Lisa