PDA

View Full Version : Easel

learning to paint
06-20-2004, 09:09 PM
I've been using a Jullian half-box easel, but I find that it's a bit flimsy for anything larger than 18 or 20 inches wide. (I've got a piece of masonite under the Wallis paper.)

I don't have a studio, so I need something I can pack up or shove into the garage. I'm thinking about a Best Lobo or a Winsor-Newton Hamilton easel. Anybody have experience with these, or willing to offer suggestions for others? I don't anticipate going much larger than 3 feet wide, or high. And I don't want to spent $500 on an easel.

The easel does not need to do field work; I do a lot of my work on my deck during the summer, where it's comfortable and the pastel dust doesn't get into everything in the house.

Thanks!

chewie
06-20-2004, 09:42 PM
i have had great luck with my little stanrite. its very easy to move around, even fold up for taking elsewhere, and does a fair job of holding my support. my biggest complaints are--i had to sand down the corners, that alum. is really sharp when new. and, when really flinging some pastels, i end up holding the edge of the support, or it kinda wobbles, and i do wish it was a bit taller, as i sometimes have to stoop to work, but i am taller. other than those things, which to me are rather minor, esp. considering the cost (less than $100, last a lifetime) and that i can tilt it downwards for dust to fall away from the paper, i think its a good deal. i would buy one again (but doubt i'll have to!)

Khadres
06-20-2004, 10:59 PM
The lobo you mentioned looks good to me and can be had for $139 or so through Curry's...this is the deluxe one, not the academy cheaper one. I have the classic dulce and love it. It has rollers and folds flat for storage but is VERY solid and adjustable for size. The thing I prize most in an easel (and I've tried several over the years) is stability. I don't want any wobbling or jiggling and at the same time, I don't want to have to bring in a winch just to move it either. Mine cost just shy of $200 and is solid oak. Either the Lobo or the dulce are good choices. I have a full french easel for outdoors and it's fairly solid, but full size, not half which might make a difference. For true portability, you can't beat the aluminum ones, like Chewie said. I have one that's designed to hold a watercolor board and tilts to any angle. Lightweight and not too too wobbly if you add weight to the center of the tripod. I also have an Arundel table easle by Winsor Newton and love it for setting up out on the patio and such. Adjustable size-wise with a drawer to stash stuff in and solid as a rock. It was probably my best buy at $28 bucks via Blick's.

All this blather aside, if you have a chance to see any of these easels in the flesh before you buy, you'll be a lot more likely to chose the one that's just right for you. I'd go with H frames over tripods or I frames which wobble something awful.

Enjoy shopping and let us know whatcha wind up buying!

Khadres
06-20-2004, 11:02 PM
Oh! And welcome to the pastel forum and WC! Great place, great people, great artists.

jackiesimmonds
06-21-2004, 03:46 AM
I use an H-frame easel in my studio (unwanted gift, got it for free, so have no idea what these cost). It is wonderful, totally stable, and holds BIG boards. But then, I have a studio. You need to think carefully about portability, I imagine. If you can find an H frame with lockable wheels, which folds easily for storage, at the right price, then go for it. Nothing beats an H frame for stability.

J

bnoonan
06-21-2004, 07:50 PM
I use my Julian most of the time but I think I'd buy an alluminum easel next if I was going to make the purchase. Dick Blick has them for about $45 at most. They collapse pretty easily.

Oh and they have a little shelf on them.... on that shelf I put a piece of mat board folded in half so that it catches the pastel dust. I use this wherever I'm working - along with a sheet on the ground to break the fall of the sticks I may drop.

Good luck. (let me know if you need a photo)

B

CarlyHardy
06-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Welcome to the Pastel Forum!

Let me also recommend that you check out the Studio Tips forum. Use the Search This Forum link with the word "easel". You'll find a lot of info about various easels and even some plans for making your own.

I use a Stanrite aluminum in my studio....have a couple others but they don't give the stability that the Stanrite gives. I like the way I can use a wallpaper tray on the edge of the easel tray to catch falling dust into. The lip on the tray fits perfectly over the little ridges on the easel tray.

Some day I'll get a larger H-frame with wheels :) but that's on my wish list for 2010! LOL
carly