PDA

View Full Version : WDE Hosts Please Read RE:Number Of Images

MKathleen
06-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Subject: Number of WDE images per Host

Hi All:

Our ĎAll Media Art Eventsí forum Guides and myself have agreed weíd like to see the number of images a WDE Host uploads reduced.
Itís not a reflection on past Hostís it more of a consideration of those of us who have dial-up. A large number of images take time to upload, time that could be spent selecting and starting to create from fewer images.
We have come up with a number of 6-16 images we feel will give a shorter upload time and still give the Host an opportunity to display a selective group of images. Those of you who have a lot of images to share can save them to Host again.
Beginning with the next WDE Weekend Saturday, June 26th this rule will be in place. The Guides or myself will contact the next several Hostís and advise them of the new change in the number of WDE images.
WDE images have the same status as IL (Reference Image Library) images, unless otherwise stated. This library contains images to be used as reference for the creation of new artwork. In addition please do not use any copywrited images from another sourse unless they are your own. :)
This change will stay as a sticky at the top of the main page until folks have had time to get use to the changes.
If you have any questions please address them in this thread or PM one of us.

Sincerely, Moderator MKathleen (AKA Kathy) and Guides lisilk (AKA Li), sundiver(AKA Wendy)
:D :D :D

sundiver
06-20-2004, 07:39 PM
Thanks, Kathy.
For the last several months the WDEs (and I'm including my own hosting turn here) have had enough images for two events, easily. Hey, more chances to host! :D
One other issue has come to my attention: I have been using the uploader when I host, but now I realise that makes it difficult for members who have a dialup connection, too.
Henceforth I will use the Attatchments function instead when I host, and recommend that we all do.
We all want the WDEs to be as user-friendly as possible to as many people as possible! :angel:

MKathleen
06-21-2004, 12:09 AM
:) Thank you Wendy, good point about the Manage Attachments feature. I have used it when Hosting a WDE and do prefer it. You can upload up to five images in clickable thumbnail format. I do feel it's quicker than the uploader at least for my poor over-worked computer.
For those of you who may not be familar with the Manage Attachments feature it's located about midway down the page (on the left side). Just click on it and follow the directions just as you do with the Uploader. If you want to review your images just click on the image address, a window will open with your image showing. It is helpful also if you will keep your images within 500 pixel wide and 600 pixel high--using 72 resolution.

Charlie's Mum
06-21-2004, 02:34 PM
I think this is an excellent idea girls - the whole caboodle; no. of images and method of uploading - best to simplify it for all of us - well done! :)

MKathleen
06-21-2004, 03:01 PM
Hi Maureen, we thank you and we are pleased you like the new change.
:D :D :D

ams
06-21-2004, 03:36 PM
I like the changes as well. I have a dial up and this will help.

Thanks,

Anne

lorna12
06-21-2004, 05:38 PM
Thankyou Kathy and Wendy.....this will make it much easier on us dialup users. :clap: :clap:

I have used both the uploader and the manage attachments and found the attachments to be faster for the host and I will be using it when hosting, too.

MKathleen
06-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Lorna, thank you so much for posting it's members like you and other's who's interest help to make this forum great. We are always open to suggestions on how we might improve this forum. We thank you for your input. :clap:
Best,

ajlec2000
06-23-2004, 11:06 PM
I empathize with those on dial-up. An upper limit makes sense in this case but why a lower limit? Is it possible someone will show up to host with only 2 pictures?

lisilk
06-23-2004, 11:54 PM
In the very early WDE's there were sometimes just a few pictures. We discussed what we felt was best and came up with that. :p

Heartista
06-26-2004, 03:47 PM
WDE images have the same status as IL (Reference Image Library) images, unless otherwise stated.

I especially liked that. :clap:
(actually, I was considering asking for clearification of image status)

But lowering the nr. of images, etc is OK for me, too.

Member request addition to their post of question regarding this statement: 'All images IL status, except... images that you should ask permission from the author'

Do you feel we need further clarification on how images can be used? Thanks, Kathy

MKathleen
06-27-2004, 01:20 PM
:) Thank you, Heartisa for your thoughts we appreciate your input.
:D :D :D :D

Drumbeat-trish
06-28-2004, 01:15 PM
OK - now I'm not b****in and moaning honest ;) but I would have liked to have seen a limit of 20 ( I am on dial-up too)
I agree with using the manage attachements feature for hosting -does make the job quicker :)

MKathleen
06-28-2004, 02:18 PM
:D LOL hi Trish, for now let's leave the number of images at 6-16. We have only had one WDE using this numbers and things have gone well. Later on we can review and decide if four more images would add to the mix.
Thank you for your input.
Best,

lisilk
06-28-2004, 03:28 PM
I've always assumed that the images could be used the same as those in the RIL, unless otherwise stated.

Trish, you only want those extra for images because your so fast ! :p

stoney
06-30-2004, 10:46 AM
I find it much more convenient to use the attach function for everything but uploading to the library.

Suggestion. A couple of weeks after the particular WDE transfer (copy or move) the source pics to the Library. It might be best to simply copy the source pics. Copy would provide a single source archive while still leaving the source pics and the resulting works in place for comparison/examination by the artist.

Heartista
07-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Suggestion. A couple of weeks after the particular WDE transfer (copy or move) the source pics to the Library. It might be best to simply copy the source pics. Copy would provide a single source archive while still leaving the source pics and the resulting works in place for comparison/examination by the artist.

Yeah, I was thinking about something similar, too. That is, the images of the WDE be uploaded to the Library (I think a new folder can be arranged to put WDE images into).

MKathleen
07-01-2004, 11:12 PM
Hi stoney and Heartista:
Thank you for your input for now we need to leave things as they are. Originally images were added to the IL and there was some type of problem with that procedure. As I recall it was decided that images should be kept in the forum with the event. I'll put sundiver on the spot and ask if she can give you a better explaination. :)
Best,

dabblerdot
07-06-2004, 09:23 PM
I can appreciate why the decision was needed to reduce the number of images per WDE (AMDE). But if there's a change in the future, please put me in the 'up to 20 pictures' camp. I've got dial-up as well, but have decided the extended download time (and really, it's only been a couple of minutes for this downloader) was worth it because I'm ( :o :D ) a bit of a voyeur- I love to see how other people see their world. But then again, my idea of heaven would be to see all the images developed at Costco or such, during any given day ! I accept that I am bent. :)

Valri Ary
07-10-2004, 06:53 PM
I can appreciate why the decision was needed to reduce the number of images per WDE (AMDE). But if there's a change in the future, please put me in the 'up to 20 pictures' camp. I've got dial-up as well, but have decided the extended download time (and really, it's only been a couple of minutes for this downloader) was worth it because I'm ( :o :D ) a bit of a voyeur- I love to see how other people see their world. But then again, my idea of heaven would be to see all the images developed at Costco or such, during any given day ! I accept that I am bent. :)
Lauren,
You crack me up with your whacked out sense of humor....or is it just me being Canadian appreciating the good old days and remembering days gone by???
You'd love to take a peek in the network at my office...all kinds of lovely, wild and wonderful goes on in the minds and PC's of those agents I work for!! LOL
Valri

sundiver
07-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about something similar, too. That is, the images of the WDE be uploaded to the Library (I think a new folder can be arranged to put WDE images into).

Putting you images into the IL after you host is a great idea and is strongly recommended. Hosts should do that themselves so they will get credit for their images.