PDA

View Full Version : Icebergs at sunset

gnu
06-20-2004, 12:53 AM
find this ref photo very inspiring..thanks to thepenartist...:) :clap:
It's for an upcoming competition...

Size 3 foot wide by over 2 foot high..knife work, no brush..(with added finger painting! :D:D) quite textural in the bergs...

Bit to do..happy with the sky, the hills (may tone the red down on the right), the bergs and sky reflection..
need to work on..the berg reflections(make smoother, tonally less,) and the indistinct area mid left..

C&C welcome..bear in mind I want believable but till movement and texture of a painting rather than photo realism...
I would especially like any feedback on which bits you DO like..
thanks for looking..
Haven't been commnenting much , I know, but at least I've been painting..:)
soon I'll make some more time to hang about and look at YOUR work..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2004/7242-IMG_6136iceberg_sunset_sm.jpg

LisaArt
06-20-2004, 03:23 AM
WOW Gill you have been painting. I am speechless. This is is goregous. I would change nothing. Bergs, and sky are marevellous and colours dance beautifully together. I can see the texture on the bergs and I think the reflection is complete. I would love to see IRL.
If you feel must do something, blend that little red popping out on the right that you mention. :)
Good luck in the competition

Marty C
06-20-2004, 06:05 AM
Hi Gill,
Wow, you are going for a dramaitc work here. The cool colours against those HOT colours are tremendous. Great reflections with the icebergs and the calm sea is very well done. Really good to get such a smooth sea using just a knife and a now grubby finger!
Good luck with the competition.

VeldaJ
06-27-2004, 06:31 PM
This one just blew me away, Gill. At 3 ft x 2 ft it must be AWESOME! Dont change a thing... sign it and submit it...and good luck with the comp.

gnu
06-29-2004, 05:43 AM
Hey you guys, thanks a bunch! I am pretty happy with this, is does have a bit of impact at this size, though it's hard to see it objectively!
Lisa..I've toned the red down a bit by fading it into the blue higher up and adding some more magenta mist..
Marty..as always your imput is appreciated...I think I use a knife dofferently to a lot of people and I am really comfortable with it..I'm so happy to have found such a satisfying way for me, to apply paint!
Velda!! HIY! long time no see!! *waves to long time friend* :)
I am calling this finished, and have signed it..:D
Thanks again for the wishes, I think the comp's not til October, but I'm ready!!

Wayne Gaudon
06-29-2004, 06:37 AM
very nice work .. I can't remember your work looking as accomplished as it does here. Great going. Of course, I would change two things .. ever so lightly I would fade the top viewer left blue into the sky so you can't tell where one ends and the other begins. (The hard line draws too much attention. Secondly, would be that reflection. IE .. the adjustments to the sky reflect the adjustments to the water in the viewer lower right.

:clap: :clap:

gnu
06-29-2004, 02:39 PM
accomplished, thank you!! :o
Thanks for the advice...I'll leave it a week and take another view of this in RL..your time and imput is much appreciated..
Gill

Drumbeat-trish
07-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Stunning :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

gnu
07-04-2004, 02:57 AM
Hiya Trish, thansk!!
Funny enuff I was thinking of you as Today I drove back from Hawkes Bay..I saw some of those wild yarrow plants(quite died off) and remembered your Pukeko painting with them in(I'm sure it was your painting)?? anyhow thought of you and wondered how the chat was going!
I'm not greatly in to chat, and don't have much time now anyway, so have fun
Cheers
Gill

aquamel
07-12-2004, 06:48 PM
I love the colors in this . . .

Teddy Bear
07-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Hi gnu -- how is Wellington ? Brrrrrrrr -- has been very cold and frosty in Nelson.

Love your painting, the colours are great. :cool:

Lee

diane555
07-14-2004, 07:14 AM
Hey gnu

This is awsome! The colors are amazing...great composition and interest here. The colors are amazing :D

I'd like to see a bit more definition on the top edge of the rock in the left foreground but other than that it's beautiful. Great control with a knife.

Di

gnu
07-15-2004, 05:12 AM
aqua...thanks, really glad you like it.:)
Lee, see your PMs,...thanks, glad you like it too...hope you got some nice fire or similar to enjoy:)
Di, I've worked on things a little more..post soon..and look at what you're doing now!!..must go have a look at your stuff :D

Yax
07-18-2004, 06:31 PM
Exciting work...well done. Yax

gnu
07-19-2004, 04:58 AM
Hey Yax, thanks..I think I found my style! neat eh?