PDA

View Full Version : Back From Hell

SoniKalien
06-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Here's an Image I've just knocked up (figuratively speaking :p)

Basically it's an idea thrown together in 3ds Max with the intention of turning it into a painting. Whether it actually does or not remains to be seen - however the idea is there and when I get stuck for something to paint, I browse through my expansive Art folder to check out all the stuff thats stewing on the backburner. :D

Jet
06-20-2004, 12:34 AM
WOW...! :clap:

deep stuff !

:cool:

Michael
06-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Powerful painting!!

Digging out from the depths of despair?

Woof-a-Doof
06-20-2004, 09:01 AM
I like the whole agony/angst versus hope that springs eternal, thing! :clap:
I like your characta :clap:
I like the postioning of your characta :clap:
I would like to see various camera angle shots :clap:
closeups :clap:
lighting & materials maybe :confused:

2pawz^

JCoop
06-20-2004, 10:18 AM
This utterly terrific! He should on fire or atleast smoking or smoldering though. Awsome concept... beautifully rendered!

SoniKalien
06-20-2004, 05:07 PM
Hey thanks peoples :D

deep stuff !

Pun excused :p

Digging out from the depths of despair?

Basically, yes. I was musing about where hell is, and I realised that I've been there. And I came back. Yes it was a struggle, and I'd rather not go back. ;)

I think we all have our own personal hell, in varying degrees, just as we all have our own heaven. :)

I would like to see various camera angle shots
closeups
lighting & materials maybe

Are you wondering how I did it? nothing spectacular really - I tried to keep it as simple as possible. Having said that..

The figure is out of poser. I arranged the pose first as I think this was the most important part of the pic, and made the hole to fit the pose.

The hole itself started off as a cylinder (16 sides x 5 divisions), converted to editable poly, removed the top face, flipped the normals (to turn it inside out), then expanded sections of the cylinder to create a taper at the top. Then I moved some vertices in an out towards the centre of the hole to get rid of the roundness. Then I added a subdivide modifier, followed by a displace modifier, with a noise modifier thrown on top to create a rocky surface. Unfortunately this tends to mess things up as you can see some holes in the hole.. Im not sure what caused these but for the purpose of the image it didnt really matter.

Material wise, both are raytrace materials with a noise map in the diffuse slot, with no specular or anything else.

Lighting: there are 2 lights - a red omni near the top of the hole (but near bottom of pit) and a low power skylight (0.4 multiplier).

Oh, the smoke/steam is a fog effect tied to a stretched hemispheric atmospheric apparatus.

I probably spent about a third of the time modelling, and the rest playing with lights, materials and effects to get what I wanted :D

If you want, I can send you the scene file, just tell me what version of 3ds max you have.

This utterly terrific! He should on fire or atleast smoking or smoldering though. Awsome concept... beautifully rendered!

Aw thanks. I thought about on fire/smoldering.. maybe in the final painting. I actually wanted him to have a dusty look.

Cronious
06-23-2004, 06:06 AM
Love this image, very powerful :clap:

Woof-a-Doof
06-23-2004, 10:23 AM
If you want, I can send you the scene file, just tell me what version of 3ds max you have.

Yeah....I would love to see the file!!! I have version 4.2
Ya dont mind if I snoop around and play with it do ya?

I am not sure how the e-mail thing works here, or if I am allowed to put my e-mail....Oy! :rolleyes: Push come to shove check out my web site and use that e-mail...I'll get it

SoniKalien
06-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Yeah....I would love to see the file!!! I have version 4.2
Ya dont mind if I snoop around and play with it do ya?

sweet as. I find I learn by picking other peoples stuff apart. kinda like smashing a telephone with a hammer to see how it works (used to love doing that as a kid)

I'll put the file up online and send you a link to it.