PDA

View Full Version : WDE JUNE 19 Lakeshore

lisilk
06-19-2004, 09:57 PM
After wrangling 4 dogs all afternoon I finally got around to it. Wanted to see if I could complete a silk painting in 2 hours instead of 20. The answer is....not well ! ROFLOL. ick

21 X 21 charmuese silk and dye.

Thanks for looking. Crits welcome .

( P.S. Wasn't being coy...forgot the attachment )

sundiver
06-19-2004, 10:39 PM
I'll have to take your word for it on the "ick" part, because I don't see anything icky. I think it's lovely. How ever did you do that on silk in 2 hours?
Put it out of sight for a couple of days; after that you'll probably like it better.

MKathleen
06-19-2004, 10:45 PM
:clap: Li you accomplished such a lovely painting on silk in only two hours. Bravo :clap: I'd be a nervous reck painting on silk--how do you control the runs (resist)? I was thinking while looking at your silk painting it has a Oriental look about it.

Deano
06-19-2004, 10:57 PM
A lovely rainbow of colors in the sky and water. Beautiful contrast. I like it.

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 11:01 PM
OMY GOSH LISILK, This absolutely EXQUISITE!

Delicate, beautiful colors, your silhouettes beautiful. I just can't think of anything I would critique on it. It must be just gorgeous in RL. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:\P.S. don't give out many of these multiple claps, you well earned them.

pjo
06-19-2004, 11:50 PM
How very vibrant this is. I don't know anything about silk painting, but I know what I like, and this is beautiful!

lisilk
06-20-2004, 12:09 AM
I swear this place has the most polite people on earth ! LOL. Thank you for the encouragement. It was an experiment at least, something different.

To answer the resist questions: I painted a dark horizon line then resisted that, then did the sky and highlight on the water. Once dry, I cover the whole silk with a mix of turpenoid and a bit of gutta. Then you can dry brush. Not sure if I like the result. Maybe practice some more.
Thanks for looking. :D

lorna12
06-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Who the heck is being polite! We are all stating the facts here and this is just gorgeous!!! Holy cow!! 2Hours!! You are amazingly gifted! I just love the sky...it's so vibrant and the colors blend together so beautifully.

Awesome work! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-20-2004, 04:21 AM
Oh Li -this is just exquisite - the way you have captured the reflections -the beautiful grace of the tree !!!!! and OK if you want tough -the only thing that niggled me is the horizon line running through the tree on our left -but I am figuring thats a resist line or something and going?
This really is a stunning piece -I gotta spend some time looking at what you call your good stuff :)

quinacridonemagenta
06-20-2004, 05:32 AM
STUNNING!!!!!!

(i haven't seen the pictures yet of what to paint (haven't had a two hour block yet), but this is just beautiful!

Europa
06-20-2004, 09:48 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pat

cmwynn
06-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Breathtaking. I read your article about silk painting and it made silk painting seem do-able, but not simple or quick. I have learned a lot doing these WDEs because I used to fiddle for a long time with paintings, and it often does better to address the subject and get on with it.
Connie

Charlie's Mum
06-20-2004, 04:06 PM
The colours are so dramatic and spectacular! It's incredible for 2 hrs (especially after reading your Four Seasons thread)!
So, did you use resist on this or, because of time limitations, just paint direct?
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Edit - just read the rest of the thread - question answered! :)

lisilk
06-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Thank you for your nice comments Trish, Quina, Lorna ( you are too funny) Pat, Connie and Maureen.

Trish, that ( gutta) horizon line will disappear once dry cleaned. I often have those lines running all over a painting. It's confusing if you've never seen one done in person.

P.S. Connie and Maureen- Thanks for having taken the time to read my article and WIP. I appreciate the feedback.

Andrew Rance
06-20-2004, 08:18 PM
Amazing! I would love to see this in the flesh - it has a very oriental feel to it. And silk! - I will have to go and dig out one of my old shirts (er, hang on a minute - don't think I ever owned a silk shirt... :( would a tie do??)

zardoz
06-20-2004, 09:45 PM
after looking at this I read thru your tutorial for beginners and I can't see how you could do all this in two hours
I'm beyond impressed :clap: :clap: :clap:

katju
06-20-2004, 09:46 PM
It's gorgeous! Love the sky colors contrasted with the dark silhouette. :clap:

Kathy

ajlec2000
06-21-2004, 12:32 AM
What ever else you may think of it the water is fantastic. Looks like the real thing. I want to launch my kayak out onto it!

Fleur
06-21-2004, 11:01 AM
On silk????! I'm gobsmacked! I love the colours! Just beautiful!

dabblerdot
06-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Li, you are a person of great courage as well as talent- to take such a chance with a piece of silk fabric as to tackle it during such time limitations- and end up with such a beautiful (and I'm not being coy either :D ) painting, well I'm stunned. You even made me do a run-on sentence ! Yup, oriental feel with those gracious trees bending across. Good for you, you succeed again !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

CAULFIELD
06-21-2004, 04:32 PM
I think it is beautifull. Your colors in the sky and water are gorgeous.

Since you said crits welcome - I think I would just add more drybrush in the trees to fill them out. The only thing is - if you do that you'll lose some of your pretty blues :rolleyes: hmm... OK, leave it be! It is beautifull!

~Nicole :)

Khadres
06-22-2004, 12:29 AM
Dye????? On SILK????? OK, I need one of those smilies where the jaw drops to the floor in awe! Wonderful! Would love to see this done in person! Must be fascinating! The result if fabulous!

lisilk
06-23-2004, 06:52 PM
Since you said crits welcome - I think I would just add more drybrush in the trees to fill them out. ~Nicole :)

Funny you should mention that Nicole because I did add a little more dry brush. Here's the update. Not going to do anymore now. Moving on to the next one. :D

THANK YOU Nicole, Andrew, Zardoz, Katju, AJ, Fleur, Dabblerdot and Sooz for your generous compliments.

dabblerdot
06-23-2004, 09:02 PM
The colours show up now even more richly than they did at first post. Beeeee-ooooo-ti-fuuuulll :clap: :clap: :clap: !!!!! And the additional drybrush leaves make this perfection. Or maybe a confection- absolutely nummy!

lisilk
06-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Thank you Lauren ! And for your comments on my " Sniffen for Bee's' I will re- post that one once it's back from the dry cleaners.

leojacko
06-24-2004, 03:53 AM
VERY Oriental - beautiful colours in the sky & even more so in the water.

Like the treatment of the tree - this must be extremely hard to do on silk.

Congratulations !

Nina

Bertoni
06-24-2004, 05:04 AM
Li:
This is a work of incredible beauty!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
And done in only 2 hours ON SILK!!!!!!!!!! WOW!
I'm going right now to see your tutorial!!! I'm curious as to what kind of paint you used, what material etc!!! :)

lisilk
06-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Thank you Nina and Bertoni. I appreciate ( very much ) your comments. This forum is the insta- self esteem booster ! LOL. Thanks also to all of you who checked out my article. It's the first thing that I have ever written for the public. ( Scary ! )

dragonlady
06-24-2004, 02:25 PM
This is really lovely, I love the sky and the relection on the water. I would love to see it for real, I'm sure the silk just adds to the beauty. :clap: :clap:

artbyjune
06-25-2004, 02:09 PM
I love your silk paintings. And this one too. I admire how rich your colours are. I would love to try silk painting...but time, time, time.

Very nice!! :cool: :clap: