PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6-19 Rockin' at the Park

Deano
06-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Hello, Friends and neighbors. Here's my effort at the end of two hours. I couldn't believe it...no interruptions! :) I'm pretty happy with this one at the moment. Acrylic on crescent board, 9"x8". On this one I underpainted everything in it's complement. C&C welcome.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0410.JPG

katju
06-19-2004, 06:59 PM
Super Deano. Your rocks look very realistic and I like their reflection in the water. :clap:

Kathy

lorna12
06-19-2004, 06:59 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Way to go Deano! I liked this picture, too and I really like what you did with it! The color of the rocks is especially nice. I didn't even notice the little figure in the photo...good eye! :clap: :clap: :clap:

What is Crescent board?

lisilk
06-19-2004, 07:08 PM
No wonder you are happy with it Deano. Lovely landscape, those rocks are fantastic as is that reflection in the foreground water. The loose treatment and colors of the tree really appeal to me too. Wonderful work !

Deano
06-19-2004, 07:18 PM
Thank you Kathy and Lorna.
Crescent board is a great support for graphite, pen & ink, acrylic.
Check it out at Dick Blick.

Europa
06-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Lovely Deano and those rocks really errrrrrrrrrrr rock!!! :D :clap: :clap:

Pat

Deano
06-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Thank you Li and Pat.

Andrew Rance
06-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Yep - the reflection in the water really rocks!! Nice job.

Chiers
06-19-2004, 07:46 PM
Beautiful :clap: :clap: I love the pinks and blues in the water. This was another of the pics I saved for later. YOu have done a terrrific job with it.

Deano
06-19-2004, 07:54 PM
I appreciate your comments very much, Andrew and Sherry.

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 08:03 PM
Deano, you should be VERY pleased with yourself. You did a marvelous job on this. Your rocks are great with all the subtle colors you used therefore giving them texture. Your background recedes and you water particularly in the front where you have the ripples is great. Well done.

Deano
06-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Thank you very much, Judy, for your thoughtful comments. Thanks for looking.

JoyL
06-19-2004, 08:17 PM
I am in awwwww of your painting!!! This is truly amazing -- you've created a wonderful view of serenity & tranquility -- nature at it's best. Thank you for participating this weekend

Deano
06-19-2004, 08:23 PM
I thank you for the compliments. Also I must say, you offered some great photos today. Thank you for hosting. :clap:

Celia
06-19-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey, Deano........ a nice, restful place to spend a Saturday......... you did a super job on those rocks......... very believable...... and the water is nice too......... of course the trees aren't too shabby either.......... hmmmmmm,...... I think that all in all, this is a terrific painting...........

celia

Drumbeat-trish
06-19-2004, 09:27 PM
Stunning !!!! the rocks are awesome -the water so natural - love the soft background trees . Lovely lovely painting Deano :clap: :clap: :clap:

sundiver
06-19-2004, 10:17 PM
This painting made me think of the Group of Seven and especially Tom Thompson, who all painted in Algonquin Park. http://www.artchive.com/ftp_site.htm (if you haven't heard of them)
You capture the Great White North quite well here! Love that old pine tree.

Deano
06-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Celia and Trish, thank you very much for the supportive words. :)

Deano
06-19-2004, 10:42 PM
This painting made me think of the Group of Seven and especially Tom Thompson, who all painted in Algonquin Park. http://www.artchive.com/ftp_site.htm (if you haven't heard of them)
You capture the Great White North quite well here! Love that old pine tree.
I had heard of the Group of Seven, but had never seen their work. I had never even heard of T. Thompson. I just checked out some of his paintings and noticed that he does tend to use faint reds in his trees and branches as I do frequently......do you suppose he's copying me?? :confused: Lol.
PS...Thanks for the huge compliment. :)

pjo
06-20-2004, 12:16 AM
I really like the colors in the water in front of the rocks, and you've captured the rocks very nicely. You've also created nice distance in this painting with the subtleness of the background trees.

Deano
06-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Thanks, PJ. I value your comments.

cmwynn
06-20-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm late, so all the superlatives have been used, but I agree with everyone. The blending on the rocks is terrific and I especially like the sunlight in the tree.
Connie

Charlie's Mum
06-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Like Connie, I'm late too, so I can only echo the others'.
I like the whole painting, a scene for contemplation but I particularly like the rocks (and their treatment) and the water and reflections beneath.
(I'm currently doing an acrylic where I used complementary underpainting - but I did get confused!!!!!!!!!!!) - how did you manage not to? :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

guilliame
06-20-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey Deano,i like the rocks and love the painting of the water bottom left :clap:

Deano
06-20-2004, 07:46 PM
Like Connie, I'm late too, so I can only echo the others'.
I like the whole painting, a scene for contemplation but I particularly like the rocks (and their treatment) and the water and reflections beneath.
(I'm currently doing an acrylic where I used complementary underpainting - but I did get confused!!!!!!!!!!!) - how did you manage not to? :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank you. I truely appreciate your input. It all helps me to assesss what is right ( or wrong) with a painting, so that I hopefully repeat the good and avoid common mistakes in future works.
Quote:I'm currently doing an acrylic where I used complementary underpainting - but I did get confused!!!!!!!!!!!) - how did you manage not to?
I did hit some confusion at first...but finally, I just thought "compementery" on each large mass of basic shapes. :)

Deano
06-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks for looking and commenting, Connie and Guilliame. I appreciate your input very much. :)

dabblerdot
06-22-2004, 07:29 PM
What a lovely technique that really brings the colours to life. As a serious tree-hugger ( not a compliment if one is told so by a logger) I really admire the big solid conifer- now THAT'S a TREE! (Think how many years those old guys brave the elements with little nutrition on the rocks, yet grow they do.)
As does everyone else, I love the way you handled the rocks and reflections, and how beautifully the far shore receeds. Great job! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ottersong
06-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Good job Deano, wish I could go and sit on the rocks with my back to that big solid tree for a couple of days. that tree feels really good and so do the rocks.

Otter

YYcat
06-23-2004, 04:41 PM
It already looks so beautiful, the rocks, real, and the water in the foreground is like a mirror. Wonderful. :D :clap: :clap: :clap: I sure will look more than once at it.

dragonlady
06-23-2004, 04:57 PM
Terrific painting, especially the rocks and water. I nearly chose this one but doubted I could do justice to it in a couple of hours - you make it look easy! :clap:

ajlec2000
06-23-2004, 11:29 PM
You underpainted everything.....in its complement.....in 2 hours! No way. Good work. Reminds my of those great "Copy or Frame" books from Walter Foster way back when.

Deano
06-24-2004, 12:18 AM
Thank you Dabblerdot, Otter, YYcat, and Dragonlady for the kind words. Much appreciated.

Deano
06-24-2004, 12:26 AM
You underpainted everything.....in its complement.....in 2 hours! No way. Good work. Reminds my of those great "Copy or Frame" books from Walter Foster way back when.
Lol...The comlementery underpainting was more a quick " block in". I wasn't familiar with Walter Foster...I just now found him in search. Thanks for seeing any similarity. :)

Charlie's Mum
06-25-2004, 04:17 PM
Deano, another question if you don't mind!

When blocking in the underpainting, did you also put in the tones you eventually wanted (I think you call them values)? And did the complementary affect the final colour much?
OK, that's TWO questions! :rolleyes: :D

Deano
06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Deano, another question if you don't mind!

When blocking in the underpainting, did you also put in the tones you eventually wanted (I think you call them values)? And did the complementary affect the final colour much?
OK, that's TWO questions! :rolleyes: :D
OMG!!! Two questions!! Lol :D I'll only charge for one :p . I only blocked in the large general shape (no detail) of the individual areas. On each shape I established the overall value of the area and in slightly desaturated colors. Where the overpainting was thinly applied the top layer was affected quite a bit. Where more thickly applied, the undercoat didn't show through as much. But where there were small spots that were skipped (would show up as white on normal canvas), they show up as small complementery flecks.
Thanks for asking...hope this helps. :)

Charlie's Mum
06-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Yes, it does help Deano - and thank you for taking the time to explain. I'm rarin' to get cracking and try it again with my present work - already mapped out. :D