PDA

View Full Version : Wde 6-19-04 Ribbet

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 06:41 PM
Well, I really blew this one. I knew it would be difficult and I try something different each week BUT WHAT A MESS!!!! Nothing turned out right but I am posting so that new folks to WDE can see that sometimes it just doesn't work. I wasn't pleased with anything this time. And the photo was so cute!

WC on 9x12 Arches 140#

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2004/21041-frog.jpg

Drumbeat-trish
06-19-2004, 06:49 PM
Hey I think he turned out really cool . Even if he looks a little bit sad you have an effect here of him leaping out of the page at you :D :D Way cool :cool: :cool:

lorna12
06-19-2004, 06:53 PM
What the heck is wrong with this!!! Nothing - that's what! You captured it just right...I think it's coming through the screen at me :eek: :clap: :clap:

katju
06-19-2004, 06:55 PM
Geez, I was expecting a real disaster......and I opened it and don't have a clue as to what you're talking about, Judy. Aside from the colors not being as vibrant as in the photo, he came out great. Looks just like a frog waiting to be kissed. Maybe that would cheer him up? :D

Kathy

lisilk
06-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Hard on yourself a little ? Geez Judy. They just aren't all going to be masterpieces but I think he's rather cute and has real depth. He's definitely ready to jump ! The light on the hand is very good too .

JoyL
06-19-2004, 07:22 PM
What are you talking about, Judy? When my sister and I opened up your picture, the first thing she said was "Wow, is that ever good!". We read your comments after that, and thought you were really hard on yourself. It turned out great. "Fred the Frog" would really be proud of it.

Deano
06-19-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi, Judy...I must go along with the rest. Very nice. The expression on the frog made me smile. Looks like he's going to say," I do not taste like chicken." :p :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 07:33 PM
That is really sweet of all of you. My husband took one look at it and finally said "what is it?" He thought it was someone's bald head with a braid or something coming out of the top. Really had to laugh. I think this one would be really cool in oils or something, WC just doesn't do it. And the poor hand ooof, really sad. I am going to try another one and see if it makes me feel better. Yes, I am hard on myself because in my mind I can see what effect I want and then it doesn't turn out anything like that. Very frustrating!

Not saying it isn't fun because it is. I kept telling myself throughout, "this is the ugly stage" but it never came out of that stage as far as I am concerned.

You guys are just very encouraging and makes me not want to through my brushes in the garbage.

Europa
06-19-2004, 07:45 PM
Am sending your husband a pair of my spectacles cos it sure looks like a frog to me. :D Think your being too hard on yourself you did well. :clap: :clap:

Pat

Andrew Rance
06-19-2004, 07:51 PM
Judy, this seemingly innocuous picture was in reality a very difficult subject! Your effort is not a "mess" - look at how you have handled the modelling of the fingers, and the reflection of the trees in the water. These WDE's are deceptive....

Chiers
06-19-2004, 07:54 PM
I think it's fine! And in watercolor no less. I tried this one too but in soft pastels and didn't have any luck at all with it. you did a good job.

sundiver
06-19-2004, 09:51 PM
I think this image would be very difficult, especially in wc. It's better than you think it is. And sometimes you just have to be spouse-deaf. I've heard that line sometimes even when I was happy with how my WDE turned out!

Yes, I am hard on myself because in my mind I can see what effect I want and then it doesn't turn out anything like that. Very frustrating!.

This I can relate to. Happened to me last week. But, as you say, they are still fun; the end result isn't all that important. I did a second one last week to cheer myself up...it didn't turn out either lol, but I cheered up anyway!

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 10:59 PM
Wendy, LOL that is exactly what I did, a 2nd one. Did cheer me up immensely. As far as DH goes I told him I had written what he said and he laughed and said "Oh you didn't". We both laughed about it as he is truly supportive of what I do just not this one.

pjo
06-19-2004, 11:58 PM
He has a really cute expression on his face. I really liked this guy from the photo, but don't paint people (or hands) or animals, so I chickened out, I really respect that you've done such a complicated subject and in watercolor to boot!

xreader
06-20-2004, 02:57 AM
nevertheless...I love your frog; and the background and reflections are wonderful. :D

cmwynn
06-20-2004, 03:40 PM
Just because your frog looks discombulated, you shouldn't be. He will be happier when he gets home. This is a funny expression and we all enjoy it.
Connie

Charlie's Mum
06-20-2004, 04:18 PM
I just LOVE the expression on "Ribbet-Ribbet''s face. ROFLOL!!!!!!! :D
So YOU MAY THINK NOTHING WORKED, BUT IT DID!
I also like the sky and the trees - so there! :p

dabblerdot
06-21-2004, 03:03 AM
Hey, this is a terrific frog !! :clap: You've even captured the two little bumps on his back that most people don't even notice !!
Bee-ooo-tiful trees in the background, too ! Maybe this painting is just at the tadpole stage and just wants its painter to carry on some more so he can reveal all his true princely intensity ! :) :) :clap: :clap:

watercolorbill
06-21-2004, 06:32 AM
You must have posted the wrong painting!! Where's the "Mess" ?

ajlec2000
06-21-2004, 11:23 AM
I can see why you were disappointed. But really only the hand came out awkward. And it stands out so it distracts from all that was done right. The frog is well done.
Of course this happened because frogs are evil. In fact bullfrogs are so evil that their evilness comes through in photos. I admire your courage for tackling this. And the courage of who ever was holding this evil beast.
*Shiver*

CAULFIELD
06-21-2004, 04:26 PM
You did a great job on that frog! That hand was very hard - I finally just stopped looking at the reference and used my own hand - uggh! Your background looks very pretty as well!
Nicole

Khadres
06-22-2004, 12:36 AM
I think the background is superb and the frog looks so cute....like he knows you're not happy with him at all and a tad worried about what you'll do with him next! As the others have said, I don't think you could've picked a more difficult subject and in watercolor, no less! I think it's great! Isn't that what these WDEs are for??? Experimenting and seeing what we can do under a time limit? You did GREAT with it! If you don't like the hand, crop it out and keep the rest!

Bald head with a BRAID???? :eek: What's that boy been drinkin'!?!?!?!