PDA

View Full Version : June 19 WDE first ever soft pastel -Sunset

lorna12
06-19-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

It's been fun today with my grandkids but I even managed to get one done and in soft pastels, yet. Never used them before...they sure are messy!! I just jumped right in with no sketch...Don't think it turned out too bad, though.
(for a first ;) :D )

Holbein Soft pastels on smooth side of Mi-Teines 9 X 12 1.5 hours
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2004/11613-sunset_a.jpg

hopefulbucky
06-19-2004, 06:44 PM
Lorna, this turned out beautifully. And pastels no less. I just bought myself some as I wanted to try them too but wasn't brave enough this week. Maybe I will try another photo and submit a 2nd WDE.

Love the colors you obtained. You captured the mood of the beach at sunset. Great job!

Drumbeat-trish
06-19-2004, 06:47 PM
Beautiful colours and light !!!!! nothing you can't handle :D :D

Lynn Larson
06-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Absolutely stunning! The colors are wonderful, and I love the tree :D

katju
06-19-2004, 06:57 PM
Lorna, you never cease to amaze. Way to go with the pastels....sounds like you and your grandchildren had lots of fun today. What lucky kids they are. :D

Kathy

lisilk
06-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Okay, if you start doing silk too, I'm just going to quit. LOL.

Lovely handling of the pastels, the colors so soft yet bright. Beautiful.

Deano
06-19-2004, 07:05 PM
You are like a box of CrackerJacks...full of surprises!!! :D :clap: Way to go Lorna. The colors make me want to just stare and take it all in (like a real sunset). The beach has a beautiful sparkle, like real sand. :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-19-2004, 07:09 PM
Okay, if you start doing silk too, I'm just going to quit. LOL.

Lovely handling of the pastels, the colors so soft yet bright. Beautiful.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2004/11613-rofll.gif....that will be the day! You have no fears from me...silk looks way to complicated for me! Thankyou Li, for saying that though! :)

Thankyou Judy, Lynn, Trish and Kathy, for the kind words...it was fun to try these. Still have oils to try one of these WDE days.

lorna12
06-19-2004, 07:16 PM
Deano, we must have crossposted. Thankyou for saying that, it's so nice to hear I still have surprises left in me. One of these days as I mentioned above, I will surprise you with an oil painting...but don't hold your breath! ;) :D

Europa
06-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Once again Lorna you have proved there is just no end to your talent - I love the blending on this - wonderful!! :clap: :clap:

Pat

Andrew Rance
06-19-2004, 07:42 PM
That's an impressive first attempt! I've got a set of these - but so far haven't summoned up the courage to use them. Might just have a go now...

Chiers
06-19-2004, 07:43 PM
Your first time with soft pastels and you do this!!!! That does it, I'm throwin mine away....hee hee.
Beautiful!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Celia
06-19-2004, 09:40 PM
This is fantastic, Lorna......... aren't the pastels fun?......... I think that they are just so great to play with.......... your tree is simply marvelous...... you just don't act like a first timer........ you are going to be absolutely terrific with them........ enjoy........... I wish I wasn't so darn sensitive to the dust........ I can't use them at all, and I'm sad about that........ but I just got a set of oil pastels yesterday that I'm going to try to learn to use..... anyway, congratulations on a great drawing........... I'll be watching for more of these from you..........

celia

sundiver
06-19-2004, 10:29 PM
...Don't think it turned out too bad, though.

That's one way of putting it...."not too bad". Uh-huh.

Or how 'bout...Wow! Your first soft pastel! It's terrific, like everything else you do!

That works too.

;)

MKathleen
06-19-2004, 10:52 PM
:clap: Beautiful Lorna, you know soft pastel is like WDE's you can't just do one! :D

pjo
06-20-2004, 12:04 AM
Hooray to you for using a new medium. Doesn't it feel great to stretch? This is a beautiful painting, you did very well, pastels seem to suit. Are oils on your agenda for the next WDE?

lorna12
06-20-2004, 12:50 AM
Thanks for all the great comments on my first attempt, my friends!

Celia, I know what you mean about the dust....I found them very messy to work with and was glad it was warm enough to have all my windows open. It still irritated my eyes somewhat. May have to save these for plein aire painting. They'll be great for quick on site sketches and small paintings.

Kathy, I just borrowed a couple of pastel videos from my art groups library, so I will try them again, over the summer. I did like them, except for the dust.

PJ ...it is good to stretch and I love trying new things.

Andrew, I think you could master just about anything...I've seen a couple of mediums from you so far and I think your work is wonderful in both. This is a great place to try them out. Give those pastels a go!

Sherry, you cracked me up :D ;)

Pat, thankyou...I just blended the best way I could... with my fingers! Probably watch those videos and find out I did it all wrong! :eek: :D

Thankyou again, everyone. :)

cmwynn
06-20-2004, 10:44 AM
How could the technique be all wrong, when the result is fantastic? Your solid background in other media is showing in your new attempt. The colors are enticing and the tree especially well done. And to do something new when I am sure you were somewhat distracted by that delightful group of grandchildren - mindblowing.
Connie

zardoz
06-20-2004, 11:30 AM
you never cease to amaze

Charlie's Mum
06-20-2004, 04:45 PM
It's lovely Lorna - those leaves are beautifully rendered - and a first too! Is there nothing you can't turn your hand to? :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lovely colours.
Question - did the pastels stick OK on the smooth side? (Mine didn't when I tried - the slightest touch brought them off). Did you use a fixative? (And that's two questions!). :)

lorna12
06-20-2004, 11:17 PM
It's lovely Lorna - those leaves are beautifully rendered - and a first too! Is there nothing you can't turn your hand to? :clap: :clap: :clap:
Lovely colours.
Question - did the pastels stick OK on the smooth side? (Mine didn't when I tried - the slightest touch brought them off). Did you use a fixative? (And that's two questions!). :)

Thankyou Maureen, beginner's luck... and..Yes and yes :D I thought at first they weren't going to, so I wiped/blended them with a tissue and kind of rubbed them in and then went over them again. The very dark of the tree...I wet the pastels lightly with a paintbrush and when it dryed I went over it again. I don't know if what I did is right or wrong, but it seemed to work for me. I used a spray workable fixative when I was done.

Thankyou Connie and Zardoz! I glad you like it.

ajlec2000
06-21-2004, 12:17 AM
Jeez, Lorna, quit being good at everything. I don't suppose you are at least a mean Grandmother. Probably not since you did share Wet Canvas with them.
All seriousness aside, pastels do seem to make for a vibrant sunset.

dabblerdot
06-23-2004, 02:52 AM
The beach !!! The beautiful beach !! The sublime colours blended there are entrancing :clap: :clap: . And of course, the rest of the painting is delightful to look at as well.I'm so glad to see you having fun with all your new toys (and your new playmates :) !!) It's easy to see your past experience has given you wings in your new-to-you medium !!! Way to go !! :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Thankyou Lauren and AJ. This was fun!

However the one I'm working on now isn't so much fun...I have been trying my hand at oils.... :rolleyes: :( and not having a whole lot of luck but I shall keep on trying with some good advice from over in oils and from Deano. This is medium I decided I needed to practise before trying in a 2 hr WDE! LOL