PDA

View Full Version : "bunny" oil on gessoed paper, 53x46 in. (134.5x117 cm) approx.

AmyH
09-27-2001, 11:43 AM
delete:evil:

kelly
09-27-2001, 02:33 PM
Do you take MasterCard?

mame
09-27-2001, 04:40 PM
damn, I wish I'd thought of that! You're through the black hole. Wouldga pull me through?

colorme
09-27-2001, 06:02 PM
Hi amy, when did you paint this..i like it:) very cool.

AmyH
09-27-2001, 06:23 PM
i painted it yesterday colorme , thanks :)

mame, i think your through it lol ;)

kelly, funny. thanks for the huge compliment.

amy

ZOTMA
09-27-2001, 06:42 PM
looks like we get a skewed perspective here
(I mean that in the literal sense)
still I'm reading one cold hard ass stare from this roundly angular individual
bunny's pretty gripping
the detail is a nice peek at the rainy treatment

ArtyHelen
09-28-2001, 02:51 PM
Interesting.

Helen

AmyH
09-28-2001, 10:51 PM
zotma, thanks

helen, er, um, uh, thanks? (where I come from, merely saying "interesting" is a slam in regard to art, so Im not sure where your coming from, no offense)

amy

Amorphis
09-29-2001, 01:50 AM
I really like it, Amy :)

It makes me think of the 20's, 30's or 40's... it just has that look about it. And, I guess also because it's black and white. It reminds me a little of Mark Ryden (http://www.markryden.com ) I think because of the larger head. I love the little arms and hands... that's so great, I love it, but I can't think of how to expain why. Was this a portrait of someone or ?

mame
09-29-2001, 09:35 AM
Amorphis. Txs for the link. Interesting work. Faces are a bit too "cute" but on the other hand, it does create an interesting juxtaposition with imagery and symbolism.

Amy's work is anything but cute thank goodness. It'll be interesting to see what Miss Amy does with color!

ArtyHelen
09-29-2001, 11:10 AM
Hi Amy, sorry, I should have said more but didn't have time. :)
I don't often come to this forum, but occassionally I get curious about what's here. I try to understand some of the abstract stuff, but it rarely 'speaks' to me. (Just personal taste, I suppose, or maybe lack of experience in looking at this type of art.)

But I found yours interesting. Although it's not the type of stuff I'd normally look at, it did speak. She seems to have life, a history, and I feel curious about that life and history. She intrigues me, hence the "interesting". :)

Helen

jheinrich
09-29-2001, 12:01 PM
reminds me of pictures from Barnum and Baileys early days, when they had the freakshow still- perhaps it is the black and white quality.

re Mark Ryden: I think his 'pretty faces' are needed to make the point he makes, since the most of his paintings are about children and their innocence being lost. If their faces were distorted, what in the painting would symbolize the innocence? just my thoughts, of course, but he's one I've followed for a long time ...

I don't think amy is ever trying to portray innocence, so even her children could be distorted to wonderful affect, ahem ... effect :D

jeanette*

AmyH
09-29-2001, 01:13 PM
thanks everyone. am very familiar with ryden. though here i am attempting to get back to more of a paint slinging approach, rather than illustrating ideas. the images will naturally take on some psychological tones, but are secondary to the painting itself, which is the opposite of my typical approach to imagery. this is not as succesfull as I hoped but...onward.

thanks again.

amy

mame
09-29-2001, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by jheinrich
reminds me of pictures from Barnum and Baileys early days, when they had the freakshow still- perhaps it is the black and white quality.

re Mark Ryden: I think his 'pretty faces' are needed to make the point he makes, since the most of his paintings are about children and their innocence being lost. If their faces were distorted, what in the painting would symbolize the innocence? just my thoughts, of course, but he's one I've followed for a long time ...

I don't think amy is ever trying to portray innocence, so even her children could be distorted to wonderful affect, ahem ... effect :D

jeanette*

Gotcha jeanette. I understand. Txs for your insight.

Thank you Amy for your insight re your own paintings. Sure would like to see your body of work "in the flesh".

Cabal
09-30-2001, 08:05 PM
I feel like if i were to walk into an old abandoned house i would find this picture on the floor partially burnt next to dozens of very old newspapers, broken chairs, and 30's style paraphanalia. i think this painting would look really nice in a broken glass frame and i'm not joking. i was almost positive this was a charcoal drawing. i think the dabbing marks resemble an effect similar to something one can achieve with charcoal..

anyway are you familiar with chris mars? chrismarspublishing.com if i recall correctly. his brother is in an insane asylum and his father died in an insane asylum i think... anyway he vexes his demons by painting figures that look disturbing and crazy. they always have cartoonishly large heads and small withering bodies. i see some connections here.

iyoung
09-30-2001, 08:45 PM
Your paintings do interesting things. Unlike Ryden, you never seems to be outright borrowing a style of imagery from pop culture and yet there's a reference I can never quite put my finger on, and your technique never clamors for admiration, but it's very strong though never decorative. I've never seen these full size, of course, but to me they always seem very intimate - like i'm not certain I'd enjoy standing in a crowd looking at one, I'd rather look at it alone, perhaps hold it in my hands in an artist's book. I'd love to see Amy's images in an artist's book show. (No, I'm not giving advice. Sheesh)

I was reminded of old sideshow photos, too, but also, there's a famous b&w photograph of a high button shoe with a partial leg in it lying by a chair. A very quiet photo and the imagery isn't altogether clear at first - it takes some looking. It's a news photo of the remnant, it's claimed, of a woman who spontaneously combusted. The chair remained unharmed. This painting reminds me of that photo, a quiet image with so much behind it and needing to be considered though I'm not certain how.

Ilene
Ps. Thanks for the link. I'd seen a few of those but never that parsnip painting before.

Edited because I took out my contacts before typing. :)

AmyH
09-30-2001, 11:55 PM
cabal,
how ya doing? did you change schools by the way or stay where your at? thanks for the chris mars info, never heard of him, gonna go check it out.

Ilene,

lol, funny how these online things ned so much more explanation (or seems so) than if we were talking in person and could see body language hear tones etc.

thanks for looking.

side bar: this was a transition to get into color (yes I used, red, yellow, blue, black, white, though you can't tell, as it all ended up a murky blue) and get back to the looser paint style I used in "swell", I didnt quite pull off what I wanted, but the one I am working on now has me full bore back into color and the building up of layers. I may take bunny back in the studio in for a tune up lol.

amy

cagathoc
10-03-2001, 02:18 PM
powerful image - evokes very strong emotions for me. I want to say "sick!" and "cool!" simultaneously.