View Full Version : Rebuild Them?

hopelance
09-27-2001, 09:29 AM
Hi,

Did anyone receive this?

What do you think? Sometimes I have mixed feelings ... :rolleyes:

--- Original Message ---
Sent: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 01:07:54 UT

Subject: Should We Rebuild Them...or Not?

September 22, 2001

Dear Friends and Citizens,

As we all begin to recover from the attacks on the US, we thought you might appreciate a chance to make your thoughts heard about the World Trade Center disaster. RebuildOrNot.Com is providing a free forum for what has become a growing concern --both for and against the reconstruction of the World Trade Center Towers. We will compile every vote organized by geography, and present the results to Congress and to the real estate developers that control the WTC.

Frankly, we want to see them back, but we respect everyone's
opinion, including those who don't agree with us. We are
committed to serving as the nations voice on the matter, and to
making your thoughts clear to the world and to Congress.
President Bush told us that "...the people who knocked down these towers are going to hear from all of us soon..." Cast your
vote, and make sure they hear from you.

Wishing you and yours are well,

RebuildOrNot.Com

You may also send this memorial e-postcard to your friends and family.

MissMouse
09-27-2001, 10:50 AM
:mad: I am not sure about things like this - in times like this all the worms come crawling out and voting on a web site or via e-mail where thousands of people have access to your address scares me a little.
Miss "paranoid" Mouse ...
my idea 4 shorter buildings with a memorial in the middle or inter denominational chapel.

pixelscapes
09-27-2001, 11:11 AM
I'm assuming you're asking what we think of the idea of rebuilding the Trade Center or not... Personally I have no opinion. There will be a memorial somewhere, it doesn't matter to me personally where it is. I don't live in New York, I never lost anybody, I need no say in the matter.

I also sincerely doubt that anything we vote on some random website will matter.

I'm only really replying to chime in along the same lines as Miss Mouse, although I'm not sure whether she was referring to electronic worms, or the more metaphorical kind...

All too often, "petition" sites, etc... are used to collect fresh email addresses for spammers -- with or without the knowledge of the site's founders. To top it off, whatever "e-postcard" they're asking you to forward could easily be carrying networms or virii... DON'T open or forward any file you received from a stranger, and it's usually a good idea to not open files from friends either unless there's a clearly personal message that mentions what they're sending you, why, AND where they got it.

I've received forwarded messages warning of a virus from my friends, along with an attachment that will supposedly "clean and protect" your system. Of course the virus warning itself was false, and the attached file was actually designed to INFECT your system, not protect it.

Maybe by the time my kids are old, people will mostly have a clue about these basics of net safety...

=- Jen "Or am I way off topic?" de la Cruz

pixelscapes
09-27-2001, 11:25 AM
I just went and doublechecked that site. Amazingly, it doesn't collect your email address... on the first page. It asks for it on the second page, of course. And if you try to set up an account. Claims you won't receive any spam.

As if I'm going to trust a site that's running advertisements at the bottom of every single page?? Even every single page of their message boards has a paid advertisement.

I'm sorry, but, this is just another tragedy-profiteering scam.

Wanna bet they'll make more money from ads than it costs them to set up and run the site? Notice they aren't claiming anything about where those profits will go (like say... relief efforts...). And frankly, even if they did make that claim, I wouldn't trust it in the slightest.

Even if this is a genuine effort to "shape the decision" as they claim... even if they DO bother to aggregate the results and send them to somebody... it'll still be pointless and irrelevant -- AND, they will have still made money from advertising, just because we were all stupid enough to go to the site in the first place. And some people are visiting every day to post messages (and see more ads).

Now I'm sorry I checked it out myself, but maybe now some of you won't bother going there.

-=- Jen "SCAM, SCAM, SCAM" de la Cruz

P.S.: I just did a bit of extra investigation work. Turns out the billing contact for RebuildorNot.com is an online marketing and advertising company. No wonder they put ads on all the pages... Oh yeah, I trust them. Sure.

hopelance
09-27-2001, 11:38 AM
Hi MissMouse,

definitely not sure ... & I certainly do not care for the lack of privacy either.

re: my idea 4 shorter buildings with a memorial in the middle or inter denominational chapel.

Your response does cover both though!! Rebuilding AND honouring the dead. :) That's really nice ... (I do like shorter myself!!)

Thanks -

-------------------------

pixelscapes, thanks for your feedback. So good to get a 'view of all sides'.

Oddly enough there was no postcard?!! Just the text saying so - interesting .. :confused:

re: >> I also sincerely doubt that anything we vote on some random website will matter. <<

You're probably right!! And that is the bottom line - it probably doesn't matter that much.

Thanks (don't we all dislike spammers! :mad: )

hopelance
09-27-2001, 11:45 AM
Hi pixelscapes,

just came across your second message.

Now I'm sorry I checked it out myself, but maybe now some of you won't bother going there.

Im not sorry having checked it out - it 'could' might have .. worked out, the other way around (?!)... & having said that ..YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !!!

re: maybe now some of you won't bother going there.

:mad: SCAM SCAM SCAM > rebuildornot

pixelscapes
09-27-2001, 11:53 AM
Right.
The site founders still might be honestly imagining that this will make a difference. It could just be optimistic cluelessness

However, in a case like this, it doesn't hurt to be paranoid and suspicious of scams...

The whole site is based on the highly unlikely concept that what totally random, non-NewYork web visitors think and debate in an anonymous online poll and forum, will be relayed to the proper people -- AND, that it'll matter.

Add in the whole "net advertising company running banners at you" angle, and it just leaves a bad, bad taste in my mouth.

*sigh*

-=- Jen