PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Waves

Chrissyoz
06-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Ok here goes.... now remember this is my very first try at this kind of art. I used PSP 8.10 and a Wacom Graphire 3 tablet and pen.....
So be gentle please hahaha!.....
I am not happy with a few things.... my sky needed more blending, but I made the mistake of using layers and merged... therefore could not go back to fix, that will teach me hey! I also had trouble doing the waves on the shore.. went back today and re-did that area.... BUT???? still not right.
Anyway enough excuses lol!
Oh and it has lost something is the resize also.
Chrissy :rolleyes:

Jet
06-18-2004, 05:05 AM
Chrissy, it looks really good.

maybe i know what you feel because that's all i can do that looks OK in digital.
I feel it' just needs to go over a layer and get some "action" or "motion" in there.
it is now too perfectly still and you have already done the hardest , so it's minor details now...

next are minor details ,please take it as merely suggestions from an observer...

*- need some splashes where waves meet (ground, or another wave)
*- some airborne foam as it is the direct product of exploding waves....
*- a thin layer of water above the sand washing away from shore

***the sky is not my area, but if you feel it needs somehing you're the boss,... i mean,.... the artist... :D

you might like taking a look at some sea and sky pictures from our Clouds project (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final_all&proj_id=679) and get some ideas or inspiration from them..

You are right in wanting to make a better piece, just remember to have fun in the process
and everything will seem to get aligned alright...

Great piece you got already, i love the birds, as i had to take 'em out from mine.:mad:

Keep 'em coming :clap:

SoniKalien
06-18-2004, 06:03 AM
Hey that looks nice. You have followed that tutorial well. :D

If you save as .jpg rather than a .gif youll find youl get a better picture.

GIF only supports 256 colours while jpg supports more.

lemonbird
06-18-2004, 10:50 AM
*- a thin layer of water above the sand washing away from shore

Great pic, lovely colors! :) The only thing I noticed is what Jet has already stated. Great job! :)

flowerfancy58
06-18-2004, 11:16 AM
Great job on the water Chris:)

gloria

Michael
06-18-2004, 01:45 PM
Wonderful color and composition. The waves just need to "blend" with the shoreline a bit....It won't look so harsh then. Other than what you mentioned I can't really add anyting except...I like.

themanda
06-18-2004, 01:48 PM
love the colors. great choice!

there's something about that shoreline that's not right...it almost feels like the ocean's about to drop into your lap. i couldn't paint an ocean, tho, so i don't know if you should listen to me or not. :evil:

don't let merging layers keep you away from blending. crank that opacity up and blend away! you'll like what you end up with.

JCoop
06-18-2004, 02:31 PM
Chrissy, you've gotten some good advice, so I'll just say welcome and thanks for sharing! :)

grahamrj
06-18-2004, 04:25 PM
Good to see a seascape here!

On the shoreline: part of your problem at least is that you're working from that tutorial and the shoreline doesn't look right there either. Look at some real sea instead!

I'm partly repeating what others have said, but maybe more detail will be helpful. The line goes too up and down too much - you might get 'fingers' of water stretching onto the sand here and there, but not so many, and not all going like \\\\ (guess you're left-handed ;) ). And where water is shallow, you'll see the bottom, so you'll get a colour between the deep sea colour and the sand colour.

When painting water digitally, the smear brush is your friend. Great fun!

Finally, there is a project going on in the Marine Art forum called 'Breaking Waves' you may find interesting.

PushingPixels
06-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Very Interesting. A nice surealistic feel. I wold put more witewater on the beach

Chrissyoz
06-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Thank you everyone for your advice... yes that shore line is bugging me.. I knew it was not right and have re-done it once already, I will get back to it and add some of the things you advised me to.
I have only just got back on line... my phone line has been out and only just fixed... I am on slow old dial up....

Hope is OK to mention but I was just told about a program called Deep Paint... does anyone use it or know it.... Boy I love it... I have d/loaded the demo.. it is not user friendly pricewise, expensive for me anyway, but the effects you can get whether it be paint, charcoal, pastel, etc... I think are brilliant. Tell me what you think? :confused:

Chrissy :clap: