PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo I got a new job!

Reignboblu
06-17-2004, 11:06 PM
This is a complete brag, but I don't care, I have to brag to someone and if I did this in person everyone I know would slug me. I just have to tell someone or I'm going to burst. Sorry for tooting my own horn, but I'm psyched.

Since I'm just starting my career in art and have only sold a few paintings it's been necessary for me to find another job where I can make as much money as possible (my rent is $1400 a month) so I can afford to pay for school and to paint and to eat and sleep.

Since getting paid the most for the least work was always a goal of mine (I worked my fair share of crappy jobs before getting this) I got myself a job as a parttime sportswriter at a local newspaper about five years ago. I like sports, so it came easy and paid very well even though it was only part time. 18.75 for 19 hours, plus a shift differential and mileage. I've been there a while and although I got passed up for a major promotion a few months ago, I just got a promotion to part-time copy editor. Just one copy editing shift a week in addition to my normal 19 hours (26.5 hours of work total) is $458 takehome... and I didn't just get one shift a week, I got two. So I'm making 558 a week +mileage takehome for 33.5 hours. I can finally pay off all my crappy credit card bills and school loans, stop the bill collectors from calling me, buy some nice paint and some good canvases.And I can afford school, without having to save up and pay as I go. I can pay my half of the rent in one check. I love it I am so happy I could scream....woo hooooooooo. :clap: :clap: :clap:

My painting teacher said try and get a job where you can make money so you can support yourself painting, I am so freaking happy I have been able to do that and I'm only 25. Woo hoo...

okay...now we can all return to our regular viewing programs...sorry for the bragging interuption. :clap:

CarlyHardy
06-20-2004, 05:56 PM
I think you have every right to brag!!! Congratulations!!!! Knowing that the bills can be paid is a big plus for an artist working to get established. And it sounds like you're enjoying the work which is really important in keeping the creative juices flowing!

carly

PMurphy42
06-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Congrats!!! Don't apologize for good news......we all need to hear it once in awhile.

I for one am a artist that has a primary job too.....family, bills, etc to pay. My goal some day is to supplement my social security benefits with my art....lol