PDA

View Full Version : Keeping an eye on the Ball

Woof-a-Doof
06-17-2004, 07:58 PM
I am playing with the black/white/red/grey theme. Continuing to follow Jets suggestion, I will be placing them in this thread.

Model created in 3D Studio, materials and final render in Bryce.

Thanks for taking a peep!

lemonbird
06-17-2004, 08:27 PM
Very nice! I only have one suggestion... I think that if the metal reflected the red it would carry the color further into the pic tying it all together. :) Very cool looking! :clap:

Michael
06-17-2004, 08:40 PM
Too cool...This could be the new logo for alien comps!!!

Woof-a-Doof
06-17-2004, 09:25 PM
RedWater--> Thanks! The alien thing crossed my mind few times, and a coupla times I thought the model looked like some double chamber hyperdermic needle. And later on (which you will see shortly) They even reminded me on the "Spy-vs-Spy" series---Mad Magizine, I know ya remember :D

Best way to think of what the models are, is by thinking of a piece of Elbow Macaroni with one end "pinched". It is a tube, elongated, taperd on upper end and then bent 90 degrees.

dragonflyfantasyart--> I agree with ya 100%! I have several versions of this idea in the oven as I type. My machines will grinding out the final renderings all night most likely. Once I have them all complete, I am going to go back and see if I can place the ball further back. It should be very interesting, as that "metal" in the back ground is convex in shape...which "should" throw a wild reflection.

I say "should" because there are often suprises during placement of models and final rendering. Sometimes the "suprises" are a PIA, other times, the "suprises" are delightful and unexpected.

The image attached is second in this "series"

Michael
06-17-2004, 09:54 PM
I can see the spy vs. spy...LOL...Remember it...I still have a lot of those old ones packed away somewhere.

Woof-a-Doof
06-18-2004, 06:14 AM
The following five images continue the Red Ball theme. I strayed away from the Black/White/Red/Grey scheme a lil bit on the one...cant seem to follow even my own guidlines somtimes :rolleyes:

SoniKalien
06-18-2004, 06:40 AM
I was wondering what you were rendering with. I have never used Bryce as a renderer, but Max's default scanline renderer can be tuned to pull of some nice tricks - like GI - I keep thinking the red ball should be casting a bit of red light, or there should be some red in the reflect/refractions.

Otherwise, I like the second from the left the best :cool:

Woof-a-Doof
06-18-2004, 07:14 AM
I was wondering what you were rendering with. I have never used Bryce as a renderer, but Max's default scanline renderer can be tuned to pull of some nice tricks - like GI - I keep thinking the red ball should be casting a bit of red light, or there should be some red in the reflect/refractions.

Otherwise, I like the second from the left the best :cool:

Bryce. I use Bryce as my redering and staging application. I think I rely on Bryce for familiarity. I have owned a copy since it's 2nd version. The cameras, the lights, materials and all associated labs I know pretty well. I fell into 3D Studio much later in the game.

I use 3D Studio strictly for modeling purposes. 3D Studio is a MONSTER program. Perhaps as time goes along, I will definately snoop around more & more and shed my Brycian security blanket.

In one of them (forget which) I did apply a light source with a red metalic gel. I applied it in various places underneath the sphere trying to cancel out a shadow...I dont think I accomblished that :( but removed the gel from the light source and it did turn out to brighten it up more.

I will be going back to various ones and tweak them...hoping for that reflection. Also thought about seeing if I could get reflections from "off camera objects"

I appreciate your comment! Thanks :clap:

SoniKalien
06-18-2004, 07:49 AM
LOL

It's been a while since I have played with Bryce..

I first started getting into 3D when I scored a free copy of CorelDraw! 7 with a scanner I bought - it had Corel Dream 3D..

I have been using 3ds Max for about 2 years now.. well learning it anyway. You're right - it is a MONSTER program - there's much to know in it, from modelling to materials to mapping to rendering... it can get all too much and you may find yourself easily lost... I have to keep reminding myself not to get carried away and keep things as simple as possible.

I will be going back to various ones and tweak them...hoping for that reflection. Also thought about seeing if I could get reflections from "off camera objects"

You can either create 'off camera objects' or use an environment map which max uses for reflections and even as a light source. Let me know if you wanna know a bit more about it - I'm going to stop here 'cos I dont want to insult your intelligence ;)

I do really like the models tho.

lemonbird
06-18-2004, 08:23 AM
Oooooo nice..... :)

I like them all, but my fav is the middle one with the red background. :) Very nice. :)

It really does remind me of the alienware computer cases too. Very cool! :cool:

Michael
06-18-2004, 11:01 AM
I have to say that I absolutely love the red background...Stunning...

LOL...I said alien comps would love it....The would eat this up...Yes..I know it is alienware :D

lemonbird
06-18-2004, 11:20 AM
I knew what you were talking about. :) I've been drooling over them in the mags for a looong time now. They're just too darn expensive! :(

Andrew Rance
06-18-2004, 11:45 AM
I like them all, specially the last one.

Woof-a-Doof
06-20-2004, 09:53 AM
Andrew Rance--> Thanks Andrew, I am glad ya liked them!

RedWater--> Yes! I loved the red background as well, of them all thus far, I think it's best suited for tee-shirt :clap:

dragonflyfantasyart--> Thanks...as mentioned above, the red is tops in my book.....not sure about the alien-comp thing....but I dont get out much----sheltered life and all :rolleyes:

SoniKalien--> It's good to have another 3D artist in our midst :clap: :clap: :clap:
3D Studio is an example of my ability to kill a fly with a shotgun. Overkill :D
Lil by lil I am creeping deeper into the abyss of help files. The mere notion of being in the help files saps any sense of creativity I had. So, as with most other things it's a fine sytem of trial and error on my part.
My interest in 3D Studio a the moment rest mostly in the modeling aspect, so anything ya might think of (web sites & such) please throw them my way, I would greatly appreciate it!

Stay Tuned.......

Woof-a-Doof
06-20-2004, 11:06 AM
while you were asleep..........

Michael
06-20-2004, 12:39 PM
Another great set,

I like the twisted corkscrew, but, odly enough, my favorite of this set is the onr with the least sheen..the middle one. There is something about a ribbon holding an object out for your inspection.

SoniKalien
06-20-2004, 05:17 PM
It's good to have another 3D artist in our midst :clap: :clap: :clap:
3D Studio is an example of my ability to kill a fly with a shotgun. Overkill :D

Yes I'm guilty of that too.. however I do find it usefull for creating visuals for reference when creating paintings. One part of the art course I'm doing called for a still life painting. I didn't really have anything even remotely interesting for subject matter, so I took a photo of our kitchen table, and used Max to create a still life for my painting. (see attachments)

Lil by lil I am creeping deeper into the abyss of help files. The mere notion of being in the help files saps any sense of creativity I had. So, as with most other things it's a fine sytem of trial and error on my part.
My interest in 3D Studio a the moment rest mostly in the modeling aspect, so anything ya might think of (web sites & such) please throw them my way, I would greatly appreciate it!

I've followed a lot of tutorials to learn what I currently know. There is a tutorial section in the help abyss, and there are some good tutorials at www.3dcafe.com go to the free section.

Woof-a-Doof
06-21-2004, 07:28 PM
SoniKalien--> Thanks for the heads up on www.3dcafe.com I been going there for a long time now, although it's been some time since I went there not looking for models. I didnt know they had tuts up as well. I will diffinately give it another look! Oh, whats this "aslyum" I keep reading about? I had the impression that it had something to do with photo-manips....I would like to know more about it!

RedWater--> Thanks! I like the ribbon thing also. For a long time I have made what I see as very cluttered scenes and I am taking the cue from others here that the images may have been to dark to be appreciated...for a long time I was stuck using black-grounds...I thought the black really showed off the color...but I am taking a second look at that concept now. I am leaning towards that "simplicity" thing.

Attached are another two...As of now, I only have two more in this series I am planning to post....and then I will be done????

Michael
06-21-2004, 09:16 PM
I definately like the first, very well could be an exquisite sculpture.

The second one I could easily turn into a monk...LOL

The "Asylum" is the Digital Manipulations Forum, the link is in my signature below.

lemonbird
06-21-2004, 09:36 PM
Ok, I'm a couple batches behind.

Of the previous set of 3, I like the third one the best... the twisty one. :)
Of the second set, I like the first one the best. :)

SoniKalien> Nice work! :)

Jet
06-22-2004, 03:43 AM
i completely had missed out the ball on this one...

Got some good progressions here ...and at the end are the (ones i like) best ...

tricky business...lots of options and effects...which give me a couple of ideas..so i have to ask......

--A question ? oh!

- Is it possible to do a portrait from a photograph using this program ?...
- Does it have a cloning capability so it can be "reworked" once copied/cloned ?
- i'm wondering how could this be done and... last, how would it look with a 3D rendering effect!

keep it up!!
:cool:

SoniKalien
06-22-2004, 04:03 AM
Jet , you should know that working in 3DS Max, or any other 3d modelling program, is working in 3 dimensions. Just as a cube has 3 dimensions, so does the environment in 3DS Max.

The workflow is like this:

1- Create a 3 dimensional model
2- Apply materials to the model (ie surface properties such as colour, highlights, bumps etc)
3- Apply a camera and lights to the scene
4- Hit the render button (which creates a 2d image from the camera in the scene)
5- Try to figure out why it looks so terrible
6- Mess with 1, 2 & 3 to remedy 5
7- Rinse and repeat

So in effect, the answer is yes, but you would create a scale model of the persons head, then colour it and light it, then take a 'photo' of it.

FYI Poser 5 has the capabilities to load in a few shots of your face (side, front top etc) and then you tweak the model by moving dials so that it looks like the one in the photo.

Jet
06-22-2004, 06:13 AM
Yup i remember now...thanks for your stepper in explanation....
....that put me right on the scene, i was completely unaware of the obvious here: "the 3D part" of it, that is.

that would get me into much more trouble, trying to do a virtual sculpture of a portrait from a photograph...yikes !

That sounds scary enough already !!.....nope, i don't think i am up to that ....maybe in my next 're-inc'...:p

I'll stay behind the line now, and watch the pros get to it--More fun for me!! :clap:

Thanks for your prompt response and accurately condensed info.

Regards

Woof-a-Doof
06-22-2004, 07:31 AM
dragonflyfantasyart--> :) yeah, I think placing the "series" in one thread was/is a good idea. I think what I could have done was nuber the images for easier identification.

Jet Liera--> Building an image from a portrait would in effect be difficult. As Sonikalien showed in his work flow example. The process involves many stages, sometime back I created an example of the work flow. Which can be seen at the end of this post (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167135) another example which may be closer to your question about the "portrait from photograph" (see attachments...I looked for the thread re:masterpeices and could not find it) The orginal , my attempt at following the original, and my version of original.

I am not sure if 3D Studio or Maya, which one really, but I saw a tutorial showing how a frontal view of an individual along with a side view where imported into the application. The images where assigned to two individual planes. The planes where melded and the beginings of a 3 Dimendsional representation of the individual was the result.

Another thing that can be done in Bryce at least, the 2D image (photograph) can be applied to a 3D object. I often do this when reworking an image. Say an image needs lighting, and I am not achieving the results I want in Photoshop. I can re-import the image into Bryce, applied the image say to a terrain, and view the object from above, set lights here and there untill lighting efferct is achieved..its a down-n-dirty trick, but with cool effects.

SoniKalien--> I agree 100% with your step #5 maybe one of the most time comsuming aspects of the whole process.

Redwater--> Thinking of the object as a sculpture is absolutely correct. Infact an idea I have kicking around is to find a plastic mold & die company to take the object/model and inject the .dxf, .3ds or .max file and have the object go from intangable to a tangable piece of sculpture. I thought it would be a good way to introduce blind people to the efforts of 3D artist :clap:

Woof-a-Doof
06-22-2004, 07:33 AM
here is most recent addition to the thread :rolleyes:

Woof-a-Doof
06-22-2004, 08:03 AM
forgot to answer this question

- Does it have a cloning capability so it can be "reworked" once copied/cloned ?

Yes. Aside from the semantics, cloning or duplication is possible. When we think of cloning in Photoshop we are simply taking one set of pixels, duplicating them in another place. When cloning the model/object, the entire model is duplicated and has same properties as it did originally, and can have diffrerent materials applied. Materials are the colors/texture applied to the object. It would be safe to say that folks who work at creating materials for this purpose are Digital Artist. Materials are to 3D artists what paints are to Painters. The model/object is a seperate file with in the scene. Modeling is yet, another form of Digital Art. The model/object can be shared, sold, or given to other artist, or simply recylcled later in a completely different image.

SoniKalien
06-22-2004, 05:15 PM
Hmm.. then making models in 3D would be an art too .. just as a sculpturer creates 3d art :D

Michael
06-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Redwater--> Thinking of the object as a sculpture is absolutely correct. Infact an idea I have kicking around is to find a plastic mold & die company to take the object/model and inject the .dxf, .3ds or .max file and have the object go from intangable to a tangable piece of sculpture. I thought it would be a good way to introduce blind people to the efforts of 3D artist :clap:

That is a great IDEA!!!! One I think would be met the enthusiasm....If you give that a go I would be real interested to see what you end up with.

I have been trying to do something with the 3D Canvas, but have yet to work out the most basic tutorial yet..but..I will keep trying and see if I can learn it. It is a fascinating field!

Woof-a-Doof
06-23-2004, 10:11 AM
RedWater--> Thanks, yeah it seems like a good idea, I would like to tie it into something else I have been chewing on.

3D Canvas creates some killa stuff, no doubt! I played with a copy of it and put it aside. Most if not all 3D applications over $25 will be real intimidating at first. I am not sure if it's because of the lingo, or how the interfaces are all different, or if it is a combination if the two. Even my beloved Bryce! I have owned the application since it's second version and it said, "Intuitive Interface".... Yeah, uh huh. Took me 18 months to get a grasp of it.

SoniKalien--> Oh yeah, with out a doubt!!!

Attached are two images, one is the original (which I hate), the one with the frame is after post work in Photoshop (not sure I like it much better) :rolleyes:

Woof-a-Doof
06-23-2004, 08:04 PM
more to come....thanks for taking a peep!

Woof-a-Doof
06-24-2004, 06:13 AM
This one reminds me a lil of a previous post, but the model is completely different.

Michael
06-24-2004, 08:56 AM
RED!! I love the use of RED!!!!...Love this one!

Woof-a-Doof
06-24-2004, 11:52 AM
RED!! I love the use of RED!!!!...Love this one!
knowing your an Aries....I knew that. As an Aries...I can say that :clap:

I am glad ya liked it! Hope I am not exhausting the idea...

Michael
06-24-2004, 11:58 AM
An Aries exhuast an idea?...hmmmmm....NAH! :D

Woof-a-Doof
06-24-2004, 12:46 PM
I went back and applied a few suggestions from ealier posts to this spikey thing. On this one I wanted to get the reflections folks had mentioned. There are four spheres behind the spikey thing. Each sphere has a "mirror material" that simply reflects what is beyond itself. The spheres are placed Top & Bottom on the tips of the spikey thing. There are another set of speres on both Right & Left sides of the center axis. The red ball is placed directly above the sceen, out of camera view and it is reflected on Top, Right & Left. Because the ball was above the sceen, there was no reflection of it... Soooo, seemed like a logical place for the logo :D

SoniKalien
06-24-2004, 05:09 PM
:eek: Aries huh...?

Apparently us Arians are natural born artist ;)

:clap:

Woof, I really like the way you are exploring different ideas for a theme - my tutor would give you medal !

Now I'm curious how you are creating the spiky meshes.. booleans?

Woof-a-Doof
06-24-2004, 08:23 PM
:eek: Aries huh...?

Apparently us Arians are natural born artist ;)

:clap:

Woof, I really like the way you are exploring different ideas for a theme - my tutor would give you medal !

Now I'm curious how you are creating the spiky meshes.. booleans?

Proud Aries...any other kind?

In 3D Studio, I made a hedra, tweaked and messed with it...simple really...no muss, no fuss. Regarding the exploriation of the theme, it is exhausting! I tend to run a theme or series...this being one of the longer ones. But I seem to really benifit doing the drill. I can take a technique and exhaust all ideas, and before I know it, it becomes second nature. Since I cant explain it adequately... But I know it make sthings flow easier for me as I move along.

Attached is another with a Ribbon Feel to it...for Redwater

Michael
06-24-2004, 10:45 PM
I do like the ribbon style, something very appealing about it and as long as red is in there..It is sold!

i just noticed...EVERYONE in this thread is an aries!!!...Right On!!!

Woof-a-Doof
06-28-2004, 07:48 AM
Continuing with the series, I wanted to throw in the human figure. Alos, taking suggestions about adding refelections.

Woof-a-Doof
06-29-2004, 07:18 AM
Not really sure whats bothering me with this effort. However, I do know what I like about it! The collums<sp> in the back ground have a glass material to them, they were duplicated and turned into spheres (there are over 100 spheres in the image) Then the red material was applied. Then that set of spheres were duplicated, lowered down the collums<sp> and then had the black materials applied.

I like the rounded cube as pedastals for the figures...but something aint right!
Any ideas?

Woof-a-Doof
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM
I added the droplet in PS while I am waiting on same file to render from various angles :D

Woof-a-Doof
04-13-2005, 11:38 AM
digresssing to an older theme :wink2:

Same ole tools, 3D Max & Bryce, found some ants I forgot I had in photoshop as a border filter, I selected with the "magic wand" just the white at a degree of 10 then went >filter>Splat>Borders and selected an ant.jpg. This way the ants went limited to the white...for the most part anyway.

I had fun with the whole swoops/swhirls thing..it was saved from another project, unrelated to this....at any rate, thanks for taking a peep!

Woof-a-Doof
04-14-2005, 01:45 PM
more of the same