PDA

View Full Version : sunset...try again!!!

mariposa
09-26-2001, 09:53 PM
acrylic on canvas...for some reason the image did not load last time...this is my first attempt with acrylics...any suggestions?

jerryW
09-26-2001, 10:00 PM
next time you do this you might try to tilt the image just a bit (or a lot). there is so much energy in it, and beautiful color work as well.
It suffers a tiny bit from a kind of stasis that occurs when the horizontal plane of the canvas is parallel with horizontal shapes inside the painting (ditto with vertical but somehow less seriously)

because the painting is so much fun and active, this tendency is mild and the whole thing is still quite enjoyable.

mariposa
09-26-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks for your comments Jerry..Do you mean that I should distort the perspective a bit? This is actually the first time I have tried to compose a painting without using any reference ( except for the vase which is based on one in my loungeroom)

Mud Mixer Linda
09-26-2001, 11:26 PM
Such good advice. I've done pics. and couldn't figure what was wrong. Now I see, and I'll remember.
If I understand right, he means the edge of the canvas (the pic)
is in a straight line with other elements of the painting. Changing the angle of the lines in the painting would ad interest.
Wonderfully colorful. I like the painting very much.
Try a mat at slightly off angles and see what you think.

Impulse
09-26-2001, 11:35 PM
great vibrant colours
nice composition
even nicer for existing
only in your head

i think jerry just means tilt
but distortion is good too

mariposa
09-27-2001, 12:13 AM
Thanks all...I'll give it a whirl next time..I started this one with a base coat of vermillion and I'm thinking of doing a series this way- it just seems to bring the other colours alive..we've spent a lot of time in Mexico so I'm really inspired by the vibrancy of colour that predominates there.....Cheers Tracy

ArtyHelen
09-27-2001, 07:35 AM
Gorgeous colours! Adore that cactus, and the pears who look like they've had a disagreement! :D
Great!

Helen

dornberg
09-27-2001, 07:59 AM
the blacks are important to this group of colors

giniaad
09-27-2001, 10:01 AM
a visual playground...
love your sense of color...

ginia