PDA

View Full Version : WDE 12 June - Dry creek bed

E-J
06-17-2004, 06:12 PM
Can I play?? Can I? Please? I know I'm five days late but I can't join in on Saturday nights and this is my very first post to a WDE and I did it all properly and put in my 30 mins' planning and two hours' painting time EXACTLY and I'm really excited :D

My painting is 9x12", Unison soft pastels on Art Spectrum Colourfix paper. I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this exercise and the result is (I think) unlike anything I would normally turn out, especially in terms of colour - this is quite a limited palette for me. I may go on to develop/fix a few areas, such as the distant grasses/earth, which need fewer darks in them to help them recede.

Thank you, Lisilk, for a great selection of reference photos!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/13865-wde17june.jpg

hopefulbucky
06-17-2004, 06:27 PM
E-J I am so glad you came out to play. This is superb. I love the colors you have achieved in the grasses. You also achieved a great depth of field. Please come and play anytime. This is just wonderful. :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-17-2004, 06:30 PM
Wow ! Your enthusiasm is catching !! And how can you be late if the new images are't posted yet ;)
What lovely juicy colours, yet you managed to portry the firmness of the rocks beautifully. Lots of distance and perspective, a pleasure to look at ! Great work !! :clap: :clap:

lisilk
06-17-2004, 06:43 PM
No such thing as too late around here. Welcome to your first WDE, the first of many I hope.

This is awesome ( as is all of your work.) :clap: You captured the true colors beautifully while still keeping a loose flow to it. Just a few more darks and you're there. Gorgeous.

Thanks for joining in !

CAULFIELD
06-17-2004, 06:47 PM
It looks great. The foreground rocks/things look superbly developed ( especially for 2 hrs)!

~Nicole

YYcat
06-18-2004, 01:44 AM
It looks beautiful. Great colors. :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-18-2004, 01:52 AM
I am glad you came to play, too, or we wouldn't have gotten to see this....the colors just rock! (sorry no pun intended) I love how you did this! :clap: :clap: :clap:

This photo really grabbed me, too, but I just did a rock scene a couple of WDE's ago, but I have this saved to do, to go with the other one.

Come back and play, anytime the urge strikes you...it's a lot of fun!

E-J
06-18-2004, 04:15 AM
Thanks for your nice comments. This is a happenin' forum :)

I haven't yet seen anyone else's version of this pic. When I've got time I will have a rummage through the posts!

Kathryn Wilson
06-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Excellent pastel E-J! I enjoyed seeing this, and you, here in the WDE! Come back to play again!

Charlie's Mum
06-18-2004, 12:15 PM
So glad you decided to join us on our WDEs - this is such alovely painting, the hot grasses against the cool shadows - and such believable rocks! Lucious!! :) Don't forget to come back! :D :clap: :clap:

katju
06-18-2004, 12:20 PM
What a happy painting. I like all the little shots of color scattered amongst the rocks.

Come play with us anytime. Your painting is super! :cool:

Kathy

sundiver
06-18-2004, 12:57 PM
Well, of course you can play! The more the merrier, and this is about the merriest place around!
Beautiful color, and nice solid rocks, unlike the papier-mache ones I usually come up with!

geminidream
06-18-2004, 01:32 PM
E-J, Hi and the more that come out to play the merrier, glad you came and joined, your painting is a beauty!! :clap: :clap: :clap: glad you shared it
I really love the colors in it and the softness of the picture and the way you handled the rocks, it is very well done. geminidream :)
ps, welcome to wde and excelllent first post :D

Deano
06-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Hi, E-J. Welcome to WDE. This is the great thing about the Sat. event, flying through an art project at warp speed, slamming on the brakes at 2 hours, and having a fresh looking piece of art that is surprising in many ways to the creator. Great job!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

ams
06-18-2004, 06:41 PM
Welcome to WDE.

This is beautiful. I love the colors and the feeling of depth.

Anne

ajlec2000
06-18-2004, 08:01 PM
Every week there are pics that do nothing for me. And every week somebody takes those pics and does fantastic things with them. You are no exception.
Great life in what was for me an empty scene. You pastelists still amaze me.