PDA

View Full Version : Musical Still Life

themanda
06-16-2004, 12:55 PM
i'm still trying to make myself paint 'looser', but i keep reverting back to old habits. i've found that still life is a great way for me to break out of my mold. but...i've gotten tired of painting flowers and vases. :)

so, here's a slightly more unusual version. i'm sure we can all remember playing those black plastic recorders in third grade music class, can't we? i'm acutally really pleased with how that turned out. less pleased with the kazoo, as it doesn't look metallic enough, and even less pleased with the accordion. but...can't nail 'em all, can we?

clare, you do great work on metallic objects. what could i do to improve this? it's supposed to be cheap brass...i don't know if changing the field color of the kazoo would help, or do i need to change the color of the shadows/highlights? or did i just not take it far enough to get to to really shine?

Cronious
06-16-2004, 01:59 PM
The recorder is fantastic, and I really like the leather bellows of the acordion.

When painting either glass or metal, remember that all reflections are clean and clear. Take a glass from the kitchen cupboard and look at the reflections. There are no smoothness to the lines in the reflections, they are very clean.

The only thing I can really say is draw what you see, don't image when it comes to glass and metal, and draw / paint what is there.

I hope this helps and doesn't sound to much like a lecture,as it wasn't meant to, you are doing great work and I always enjoy viewing your work.

flowerfancy58
06-16-2004, 02:09 PM
This sure does bring back some memories, lol!

And you are right about stills, they are a great way to loosen up:)

The recorder is superb, hooray for you :clap:

gloria

themanda
06-16-2004, 03:04 PM
When painting either glass or metal, remember that all reflections are clean and clear. Take a glass from the kitchen cupboard and look at the reflections. There are no smoothness to the lines in the reflections, they are very clean.

so does that mean that i should make the reflections on the kazoo more harsh?

here's a rework...i softened the reflections on the accordion and smoothed out the edges of the kazoo as well as adding in some orange tones. i also added harder yellow highlights.

does that look more like metal?

Cronious
06-16-2004, 03:17 PM
This is much better,

You say this is is brass. Your image make the item look metal, like stirling steel which is very good, but ot brass, I think you need to add some orange tones to create the brass effect.

You are doing great and I think your still llives are going from strengh to strengh. I am really looking forward to more. Going great guns, well done :clap:

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:10 PM
OMG...A kazoo!!!..OMG

I really can't say anything but....O M G

Michael
06-17-2004, 04:10 PM
OMG

Andrew Rance
06-17-2004, 04:28 PM
I like this - nice and simple and honest. Muted colours make it easy on the eye too.

JCoop
06-17-2004, 04:36 PM
Manda, fine and "loose" still life! I really like the folds and creases in the accordion. You're doing so much great work.
I think if you hint at some reflections in the kazoo, it might enhance the metallic appearance.

Manda, great!

themanda
06-17-2004, 07:35 PM
thanks everyone! don't tell clare i said so, but i'm really enjoying doing still life work. :)

Michael
06-17-2004, 07:37 PM
:evil: