PDA

View Full Version : In Memory

Cronious
06-16-2004, 09:47 AM
Heres what I have been working on recently, its a portrait of my father. He passed away this time last year, and I wanted to do a portrait for myself and also for my family.

I had real problems with the mouth

Comments and how I can improve on this are very welcome

Keep safe all

Thanks for viewing

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/37495-Dadsy-crn.jpg

Michael
06-16-2004, 10:16 AM
This is Beautiful,

I have been looking forward to seeing this, and the feeling and work you put into this piece shines through. I can't really suggest anything, i think mostly because I know so much of the background to the piece and see it for whatt it is....Well done indeed! :clap:

Jet
06-16-2004, 10:50 AM
Ditto , to word saver here !

Regards

JCoop
06-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Clare, what a handsome portrait of a handsome man! I love how you handled the hair. I have gone through the same thing with my Mom 2 years ago. I wish for you love, strength and fond memories.

The portrait is beautiful. The only thing that I would suggest is focusing the highlights around the eyes a bit more... making the a bit more specular. The highlights seem a bit broad. You might do that by adding some darker shading around them. Does that make sense? Also, I just noticed that you may also want to consider a bit of cast shadow at the hairline and under the nose.

Lovely portrait Clare! Bless you.

lemonbird
06-16-2004, 11:18 AM
It looks great. I'm sure your family will really appreciate this. :)

justjean
06-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Clare what a beautiful painting you are creating, I'm sure your family will be so pleased with your gift of love

themanda
06-16-2004, 11:59 AM
clare, that's just lovely. i know how much your father meant to you, and how emotional it must have been to work on this. your talent and time really shine here. excellent work! thank you so much for sharing this with us.

Cronious
06-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.

This has been a very emotional experience for me, but I do feel better for creating this portrait.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/37495-Dadsy-crn-02.jpg

Here is an update, I have changed the highlights in his eyes, is this what you meant Joel?

Also put some shading around the hair line and under his nose. I have tried to soften his mouth.

Thank you again for your kind words and support, these mean alot to me, thanks my friends

Clare

Cronious
06-16-2004, 01:45 PM
Okay here is another episode - I changed the right eye (from the veiwers point of view) As it was slightly out of placement.

I really want the as good as I can get it before I give my Mum a print.

Thanks for viewing

JCoop
06-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Thank you all for your kind words.

This has been a very emotional experience for me, but I do feel better for creating this portrait.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/37495-Dadsy-crn-02.jpg

Here is an update, I have changed the highlights in his eyes, is this what you meant Joel?

Hi Clare. I apologize for my ambiguity. :o I actually meant the highlights in the skin around the eyes... mostly under the eyes. Everything else is superb! :clap: ... I'm looking at it and I'm wondering if slightly darker tones under they eye would break up the large bright area and do the trick?... yeah, I think that might do it.

Clare, I'm thinking about you and hoping you're somehow finding a sense of peace. I too painted my mother's portrait and the process felt really good. I never realized how much we looked alike.

flowerfancy58
06-16-2004, 02:18 PM
You have painted a gentle man Crone, and painted your feelings into this one. Excellent!

gloria

Cronious
06-16-2004, 03:29 PM
Thanks Joel and Gloria,

Joel, I see what you mean, yes I will try to put more colour under the eye.

Gloria, yes he was a very gentle man. In the last 3 months we have a picture of him holding a wounded sparrow............ he so much loved nature.

When my sister moved out of home she took her budgie with her. My dad loved birds and used to come into the house and whistle to the budgie that wasn't there. So me and my mum bought him a budgie for his birthday, he always wanted it to talk but the budgie says no way. It still doesn't talk, but boy it can scwalk(sp?) I am always blamed as I chose it :D He loved it, and now it keeps my mum company, even if she occassionally has to move into another room because it is too loud :D

Just a bit of background

thanks friends

peoplepainter
06-17-2004, 04:18 AM
Clare,
I wrote the PM before I saw this. This is so wonderful, such a handsome man! You dad looks so kind in this painting. I have watched the progression and I like what you have done. I think the hair is terrific. The eyes are so gentle. I do agree with Joel that if you could just add a little more color in the upper cheek and under eye area, that would help but I think it is a simply lovely painting and your mum will be so happy. Will you be making other prints for the rest of your family too? I bet they would love that.

You have inspired me to paint my dad. As you know, he has Alzheimer's and though still here physically, he is gone. When he was well I used to bug him about doing his portrait but we never took the time. I will have to look for photos.
Thanks for the inspiration and for sharing such a great painting. Please post the final version.
Warm thoughts,
Lisa

JulieBoyles
06-17-2004, 12:03 PM
This is such a wonderful tribute Clare! I can only echo what everyone else has said in that I hope this brings you peace. It's a beautiful portrait! :clap: I would agree about the areas around his eyes, but your skin tones are wonderful and I like how you fixed his mouth!

Congratulations and best wishes!!

Julie