PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Sail Tie

Diane Cutter
06-15-2004, 04:20 PM
This was done two years ago... won second place for oils in a juried show here in Puerto Rico and now I'm ready to put it up on ebay to clear out my studio: "Yellow Sail Tie" -- Oil on canvas--20"x24"

Like all paintings, it has a funny story. I've always loved the look of the sail on the boom after a hard day's sail. Our boat had blue sail ties. I wanted to do an abstraction of the glow of the just set-sun on the sails, bascially a study in white. And I left the sail tie as the last thing I would paint.

But somehow, my paints told me to use magentas and yellows and when I went to do the beautiful blue sail tie.... well, it just couldn't be... so this was my solution.... yellow...

Diane

Yikes... it looks very dark on my monitor. It's much lighter than that. I'll try for a better snap tomorrow when it's sunny again.

Marty C
06-15-2004, 07:17 PM
Hi Diane,
I can see why it did so well in the show - a really interesting approach, concentrate on one small aspect of a yacht, we can see one part and imagine the rest. Beautifully rendered, the yellow tie is wonderful in setting off the work.