PDA

View Full Version : Bryce & Carrara Demo's

kyrospeare
06-14-2004, 11:06 PM
I mainly use Alias Software, ie Maya. I recently became interested in trying out Bryce and Carrara, and was wondering if the demo versions will allow me to save my work?

Jet
06-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Kyro, hi!
Usually that's the major annoyance they play on you, to make you buy the program...

So i believe , the "save" option wil be disabled...
Some others have a 30 day useful 'life' and just quit after that time..

But the first option is the one that gets more sales i guess...

Regards

captan
06-15-2004, 05:59 AM
Don't know about the newer versions of Bryce - but when I tested bryce, some years ago (I think it was 3-4 years ago when Bryce was still developed by Metacreations? can't remember), it was of the 30 day trial sort. And I was able to save normally. If the newer versions doesn't allow saving - you could allways try and find a copy of the older demo.

the neat thing about 30 day trial software is that it's relatively easy to hack so the software believes that the trial peroid hasn't ended yet. :D sometimes it's so easy it's not even funny (obviously I'm not going to tell you how to do that so don't even ask)

kyrospeare
06-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Cool...thanks for the quick responses. I imagined the save options would be unavailable. I guess if it were my software I would do the same thing. Seems like you should be able to hack that too. :evil: :p

JCoop
06-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you would want go from an industry standard app like Maya, to Carrara? This is not a knock on Carrara, it has some cool features, but Maya is at the top of the 3D food chain. Bryce is another matter, as it is a totally different animal.

kyrospeare
06-15-2004, 10:42 AM
I'm trying to figure out why you would want go from an industry standard app like Maya, to Carrara?

JCoop...Figure no longer my friend...Maya is great, of course, but I was merely interested in trying other programs, it doesn't hurt to have every tool of 3D technology at your fingertips...if it does please advise :p

cheers.

JCoop
06-15-2004, 12:30 PM
JCoop...Figure no longer my friend...Maya is great, of course, but I was merely interested in trying other programs, it doesn't hurt to have every tool of 3D technology at your fingertips...if it does please advise :p

cheers.

Hi Scott. I got into 3D in it's infancy and I've probably used everything you've ever heard of. I've been a product modeler for many years. Everytime a new app came out, I had to have it, but I always made sure I was trading up. Once I got into the high end of the continuum, for me personally, I could never go back to less mature tools. My guess is that once you've experimented with Carrara, after having been a Maya user, what I'm saying might make more sense.

It might hurt to have "every tool of 3D technology at your fingertips". It's easy to get bogged down into using several, too similar applications at once, and risk being a master at none.

I've always been of the mind that, If you're ready to invest precious time into learning new software, learn something that's atleast as good, or can do things that the software that you're currently using cannot.

I'd like to say again, that their is nothing wrong with Cararra. It's a fine app., but if you can already use Maya, you're pretty elite. Going to Cararra from Maya... I just don't get.

Lactobeezor
06-15-2004, 01:29 PM
I am also wondering why you want to goto Carrara. Its a good program for the price but Maya is much better and if you learned on it and it is a personal copy why switch. But most people I know dont own the program; it is a work program because of the outragous price...

kyrospeare
06-15-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi Joel...I definitely know what your saying it may not make much sense...if I could improve my work by the slightest by finding something new in Bryce or Carrara that I can incorporate into Maya...then I will be one step ahead of that guy in the other cubicle :p . If I get a raise soon - I won't complain!!!

Hi Lactobeezor...Yeah, I definitely don't own it, the company I work for does.

You guys are making me feel dumb :rolleyes: . I wouldn't ask my boss to go from Maya to Bryce/Carrara. I would probably, no not probably, I would get fired...lol I am by no means dissing Carrara, or Bryce. Every piece of software has its advantages and disadvantages. I just want to try them out. Everyone on here is showcasing their work in Carrara and Bryce. I want to play too...

I don't think I will start anymore threads on my own...lol :p

Michael
06-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Keep starting the threads!!

I D/L'd the Maya yesterday and am doing a lot of reading on it now...AMAZING program!!!! Thanks for the link.

JCoop
06-15-2004, 02:38 PM
You guys are making me feel dumb :rolleyes:
Hi Scott, Sometimes we say things in our posts for the benefit of lively debate. I didn't mean to sound condescending. Sometimes the goodwill that I hope I'm projecting, gets lost in my written words. :confused: You're obviously a smart guy and ultimately you'll do whatever is right for your own situation.

Keep posting :)

Michael
06-15-2004, 02:41 PM
Don't believe him Scott...Joel is just mean!!! :mad: :D

kyrospeare
06-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I got a C- in debate... :)

lemonbird
06-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Everyone on here is showcasing their work in Carrara and Bryce. I want to play too...

I don't think I will start anymore threads on my own...lol :p

I think that is a fair reason to want to try a different program. That way you can contribute and help when someone needs advice. Especially since Maya is a work copy and not a personal copy you can play with at home.

Do start more threads. I think perhaps it was misunderstood that you didn't personally own Maya. That was probably why it was so confusing that you might want to 'downgrade' to Carrara. :)

kyrospeare
06-16-2004, 09:33 AM
At least you understand me April... :clap: