PDA

View Full Version : "The Gift" ... First acrylics attempt ...

Gollator
09-25-2001, 07:37 PM
I feel kind of guilty, because I am posting much, getting many replies, yet not saying so much to other work and other artists. Even not e-mailing back regulary.

Please forgive me. I am working on it.

That said...

I bought Acrylic colors yesterday, here my first experiment.

Critiques welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Sep-2001/gift.jpg
"The Gift"

Greetings,
Daniel (aka Gollator)

giniaad
09-25-2001, 07:46 PM
Daniel...the colors are captivating...
but what is on the step, I wonder?
composition is good as ever...
psycholdelic...
ginia

giniaad
09-25-2001, 07:51 PM
oops...oh pardon me...put brain in gear...
the gift...knowing cats as I doooooo...
it is a dead thingy gift...
"I have done my job gift"...but...
still can not decifer what it is??
me thinks it is a bird...
the gift we like to recieve the least...

ginia

Gollator
09-25-2001, 07:51 PM
why... a dead bird?

thanks. I made a whole bunch of sketches until I was content with the "angles and composition and all" (dornberg will like it, I hope *grin*).

d.

Gollator
09-25-2001, 07:53 PM
writing parallel :)

giniaad
09-25-2001, 07:55 PM
yes...it is a fun and strange universe...sometimes...

ginia

arourapope
09-25-2001, 07:59 PM
Ironic to see this today. My kitties, darling sweethearts that they are, brought home a bird and three squirrel babies today. Managed to save one of the squirrels, but I was too late for everything else.
I've found that they are in cohoots (sp?) with my dog. They kill the critters, he buries them in the flower and vegetable beds of our garden. :(
Still have feathers all over my livingroom. :(
Cool painting, though!
Your colors are intense. I can't paint with acrylics to save my life. I'm to slow I guess.
Aurora

Gollator
09-25-2001, 08:00 PM
You can bet your bottom dollar.

What's even more interesting:

"Gift" in german means "Poison",
and we have an idiom "Da kannst Du Gift drauf nehmen"
meaning "You can take poison on it"
meaning "You can bet your bottom dollar...."
...that it is a strange universe.

Gollator
09-25-2001, 08:04 PM
aurora: Yes... it is a strange and funny universe.
*laugh*

Cats are strange. Yet it is a great honor if they behave in this way. When I have my own home (still living in a student community) I will get at least two of those tiny, cute little *******s :)

Sorry for the birds, though. :(

Gollator
09-25-2001, 08:05 PM
P.S.: I too was rather confused about the speed this color dries. There are about 4-5 layers in this pic, and I washed the brush at least every 15 minutes. Then time is no matter.

jerryW
09-25-2001, 08:11 PM
love that fence, the whole pic is fun too
bet you had a odd time of finding the paint dry before you knew!
acrylic is dry almost before it is applied
I like that a lot

Gollator
09-25-2001, 08:17 PM
Yes, it needs some time to know that time is exactly what is lacking. :)

positive vibes to you,
d.

Gollator
09-25-2001, 08:18 PM
ok, g' night all. See ya tomorrow (it's 2:00 am here)

Ginette
09-25-2001, 09:00 PM
Great gift. I though it was a bear. Thought "One H*** of a cat." Hi Hi.
Most my cat ever brought me was a lizard and he was still alive.
I'm squeamish, put a bucket over the lizard till a brave soul took him out of my kitchen.

I think the painting is fun. Cat looks pretty proud.

Ginette

jheinrich
09-25-2001, 10:39 PM
quite enjoyable.

The yellow is high key and surprising, I like how it outlines the cat. The blood looks rather like a glove to me, wish it pooled more, if that makes sense.

The sky is a pleasant surprise after paying so much attention to the rest, turbulent and emotional.

looking forward to seeing what's next...

what acrylics do you use?

jeanette*

Impulse
09-25-2001, 10:56 PM
great and intense colors
and shapes that are quite
pleasing

i can see this in a children's story
... but then again, there is that blood...

nicely done

Gollator
09-26-2001, 02:18 PM
:mad: I just hate this **** ****** **** **** thingy. Is there no way to switch it off? I say no to censorship!

Anyway,

Ginette: I had no cat of my own so far, because my mum is quite allergic and I now live in a community where pets are prohibited :(

But she is very proud indeed :)

thx.
Jeanette:

Schmincke Akademie Acrylcolor:

cadmium yellow tone
maddar carmine
phthalo blue
phthalo green
yellow ochre
burnt umber

titanium white
blue black

took me hours to get the proper translation for them :D

When drawing that blood I had this picture of Amy in mind, Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19129), drawing tentacles with her blood.

And I am looking forward to YOUR next reply/post/picture *grin*

Impulse: My girlfriend will become governess this year. Maybe the constant contact with her children-books influenced ;)

thanks a lot folks.

swan
09-26-2001, 03:36 PM
I like the glow around the cat. The street pouring towards the viewer.....It somehow remindes me of "the scream", the do you know of this painting? ( it is expressionism from earlier this century by Gustave Klimt, i think maybe.)

Gollator
09-26-2001, 03:43 PM
Of course I know ...LOL...
Edvard Munch is one of my fav artists. But is this pic really as frightening as "The scream"? Uh oh.

Klimt mainly made those more-or-less erotic woman pictures.

hey, thanks for looking.

swan
09-26-2001, 03:57 PM
Yes, now I remember, it was Munch....I really like his work, I don't find it scary....but they were selling little blowup dolls shaped like the scream, that you could put on you desk (at work).......anxiety is part of modern life. My sister and I were going to buy one for each other, we identified with it soo much. (maybe we both need therapy! )
I think it's great to be able to express strong emotions with art, through color....

Gollator
09-26-2001, 04:03 PM
I remember you saying that you paint what others want you to paint. But in almost every line of what you say I feel the longing to express yourself.
So I give my advice again: Do what you feel like. Paint what you feel like.

I was talking about "the scream" in religion lesson at school, some 5 years ago.
I turned the paper because this image emotionally exhausted me.
Nevertheless, Munch is just great, not only because of "the scream" but of many other pics (for example "madonna" "death and girl" (something like this) and "the wave").

swan
09-26-2001, 04:34 PM
My last exhibition, many years ago. I did a nude woman, on a diamond shaped canvas, she was sitting and her head was not includied, so it was just her body, sitting with her legs crossed. I called it the pendant (necklace) because her body hung beautiful and headless like a gem on a piece of jewlery. It was very personal, I had just left a relationship and heart mind and body were disconnected. My family found it disturbing to see this work. I did others that were also explorations of emotions. I don't know what comes of this....It may be useful to me but to call people to an exhibition to unveil such emotions did not seem right.
I want to create on a more intellectual level now. Not so emtional, to guide my creativity, more deliberately and not be driven by an urgent need to show how I feel. I hope this makes sense. Of course, in the end everything that you do becomes personal, ?

giniaad
09-26-2001, 05:13 PM
Daniel...twas I who said it was a fun and strange universe...sometimes...

you must have been tired before bedtime...

smiles to you
ginia

Mud Mixer Linda
10-01-2001, 02:34 PM
I've been thinking about this painting (a good sign). Something about it just didn't seem right. I like the flow it has, as in the pathway, and it seems you had a great sense of freedom. Except for the cat. He looks like an outline filled in with black. Too perfect and flat. It draws the eye, maybe that was your intent. If it was, forgive me. If not, I would like to see the same uncontroled (or controled) freedom in the cat. Some contour and a mild distortion. He doesn't seem to fit in the dreamscape.

Gollator
10-09-2001, 08:07 AM
My internet was broken for some time so I could not answer in time...

but...

swan: Well...I hope I will keep to the emotional part for myself (my relatives do not like my work, too).

giniad: It's a strange universe.

Mud Mixer: I have been thinking about this for some time. I think I would change it now, but I have already donated it to my girlfriend, so I will not. But thanks for your view, I think you are right.