PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketches 14 - 20 June

E-J
06-14-2004, 02:59 PM
Welcome to another week of pastel sketching!

This thread is open to EVERYONE - whether the pastels you're using are hard, soft or oil. Its aim is to encourage us all to fit some pastelling into our week by doing quick studies which take anything up to an hour to complete. Set your timer for 25 mins ... 45 ... 60 ... or anywhere in between... let the pastel dust fly ... and when your time is up, STOP! - and share your efforts with us here.

Regular sketching to a time limit sharpens your observational skills and forces you to make rapid decisions as you explore ways of using your pastels. It also gets easier the more you practise! Sketch directly from life or from a photo - it's up to you - and feel free to post as many sketches as you like during the week. This is a 'no-pressure' thread where the aim isn't to produce a masterpiece, simply to get your fingers gunky and have a go. It's also the place to post any informal pastels you've done during the week which took you an hour or under.

Last week we had dogs, flags, rocks, portraits, landscapes and some stunning interiors!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194212

Happy sketching :)

E-J
06-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Tonight's sketch was done from life in 45 mins - assorted pastels on 'Tints' paper. My lilies have lasted two and a half weeks and I've got two paintings and two sketches from them!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2004/13865-15jun04.jpg

EdK
06-15-2004, 11:45 PM
EJ - What a bargain. 2.5 weeks of beautiful flowers plus paintings to boot! I like this one, especially for 45 minutes. I like the pink and blue combination. It's very soft looking.

EdK
06-15-2004, 11:49 PM
This is a sketch from the local creek. About 65 minutes on Canson, tan color. It's a bit overworked but I found it good practice to stick with it. I'm mulling over whether to make a painting out of it.

E-J
06-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Thanks Ed. I think your creek would make a fine painting - are the greens and oranges as bright in real life as they appear on screen?

EdK
06-16-2004, 09:21 AM
I'm not sure E-J. Maybe not as bright, but slightly less. I'm having a difficult time taking photos of any of my work. My camera tends to wash out all the color and I have to manipulate it back with PSP. Perhaps I have overdone this one a bit. Given another thread on this forum, maybe I should check the calibration of my monitor. :confused:

binkie
06-16-2004, 10:19 PM
EJ Another gorgeous lily!

Ed I have no doubt your creek will make a great painting!

I worked an hour on the painting below. It's the first summer school assignment, which is to be of something backlit. I selected a pic a friend took of me years ago at the Alhambra in Spain. I haven't gotten very far with it, but it's a start.

gwen

Khadres
06-17-2004, 11:48 AM
EJ Another gorgeous lily!

Ed I have no doubt your creek will make a great painting!

I worked an hour on the painting below. It's the first summer school assignment, which is to be of something backlit. I selected a pic a friend took of me years ago at the Alhambra in Spain. I haven't gotten very far with it, but it's a start.

gwen

EJ...you'e certainly getting the good out of those lillies...very nice pic!

Ed, you definitely should use this sketch for a finished painting...looks lovely, but then your world seems to be oozing with lovely subjects!

Gwen, this is gonna be great when you get done! Looks like lots of fun. I particularly like backlit and chiascuro paintings...they seem to have "drama" and focus built in, somehow. Glad you have a summer class too! Nothing keeps us working quite so well as "assignments".

sundiver
06-17-2004, 12:33 PM
E-J, glad you enjoyed your lilies, and glad we get to enjoy them, too, through your painting!
Ed, the light is really nice in this one, and I think it would make a terrific painting.
Gwen, looking good....I love backlit scenes and look forward to watching your progress on this one.
I did 2 plein airs last weekend, both less than an hour. For various boring reasons I haven't been able to upload them until now.
Spring, being late this year, is just getting going, and everything's still all the same shade of brightbright green. I looked in E. Mowery's book, The Pastelists' Year, to see how she handled it. Here's what she says : it's "best looked at, appreciated, and in my opinion, dismissed as subject matter". In other words, don't even bother!
But I bothered anyway. Both are 5x7 o.p.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/6393-gpoint_from_hill.jpg The background hills did look that bright.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/6393-rothsay_nature_trail83.jpg Lots of mozzies came with this one.

E-J
06-17-2004, 03:46 PM
Gwen, I like the way your image is starting out as simple shapes, basic areas of colour and tone. Think you'll be posting your progress with this one in a separate thread?

Wendy, I think your spring pictures are great and those greens are really zingy! I'm not sure I follow Mowry's line of thinking - why shouldn't something that's worthy of being looked at and appreciated be dismissed as a painting subject? ... ah well ... it's a good thing you bothered :)

SweetBabyJ
06-17-2004, 05:53 PM
Preston said I hadda get this one in the sketch thread 'cause it was under an hour. Felt like longer- but that's cause I was so weary. 2 reds, one cream and a dark blue-purpley colour, on "Bugra" paper (which has all the pastel capability of Kleenex- don't be fooled by the advertising on the front of the pad, It is NOT a pastel paper!)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/9169-redwhiteblack01.jpg

Busy-busy folks, here- especially for the time constraints, everyone is doing such great work! Job well done and gold stars all around!

E-J
06-17-2004, 07:25 PM
Julie - under an hour? Nyahh, don't even talk to me. 'Bugra' does sound rather like something you blow your nose on. Don't do that with this picture, though! The textures are lovely.

sundiver
06-17-2004, 10:48 PM
Pastel painting on Kleenex...shudder shudder- that's like scratching your nails on the chalkboard. Anyway I like your bright cheery cherries!

SweetBabyJ
06-17-2004, 11:31 PM
I was up in the night- couldn't sleep so I nibbled on some cherries (you never know- they may be a natural sopoforic!) and then saw how some were laying on that dishtowel... was easy-peasy from there. Thanks- I can't say I had fun, but it kept me from tossing and turning even more.

prestonsega
06-18-2004, 04:46 AM
EJ....when the blooms start to wither and die, you have to paint them,,,it is almost if this plant picked you to document its life!

ED...heck yes this would make a great painting...granted you'll make changes here and there, but you've already worked out many of your composition issues.

Wendy.....have you considered the posibility of finding a book publisher for this collection of beautuful paintings??? They make me so happy to look at. I could see them in an inspirational quote of the day type book, sacred or secular.

Julie...how the heck did you get the stripes of the drapery so accurate???? You're quite the draftsman ...bet you bought a book on linear perspective, didn't you? I can crop it for you, if you wish.

E-J
06-18-2004, 05:23 AM
Thanks- I can't say I had fun, but it kept me from tossing and turning even more.

So who said we were supposed to be having fun here? :p

Khadres
06-19-2004, 02:36 AM
This is a quickie I tried on Art Spectrum, 9x12, dark grey, with polychromos hard pastels and a couple softies. The water is awful, I know, mostly due to my own indecisiveness. Hopefully, I'll work that part out better if I do this one again. At any rate, it's something....better'n nothin'....

DominicM
06-19-2004, 04:50 AM
This is techically a WIP, but it took me 45mins, is about 7x10" Derwent Pastel Pencils on White paper.

The landscape does not exist, its pure fantasy out of my head.

I am trying to get my water horizon stepping back rather than being a straight line like normal, at least that was the attempt... c&c/help welcome

..I will need to go back and finish it sometime...

Deborah Secor
06-19-2004, 11:48 AM
So many interesting things here this week!

Dominic, your water is receding nicely. Yuo can also vary the coastline shapes, as long as the water remains horizontal, too. One thing, the shapes you've used for all of the lower part of the hills is almost identical--something I notice because I'm famous for doing it myself! :rolleyes: :D Maybe a bit of variation there is in order when you go back. You've done an excellent job of making the color of the reflected water a bit darker...

Sooz, I like your little painting. Your 'indecisive' water is reading for me, with no big problems. Love the grasses amid the rocks.

Wendy, I find it odd that Elizabeth would dismiss springtime subject matter. So often her paintings are sweet and romantic versions of reality--seems like a natural for spring. Maybe she fears going too far into ishy sweetness, becoming overly coy and self concious. Don't know. At any rate, I like your springtime piece, the vivid greens are thrilling. The path and shadows are pleasing me, too...

Gwen, backlighting can be challenging to paint. I like your start too!

I've been sketching all week, so may post a couple of quickies here if I get photos shot. Right now there are lovely clouds out there, and a breeze. Yay! It feels like...shhh...shouldn't say it too loud...might not happen...but... rain!

Keep on sketching, all!

Deborah

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2004, 03:58 PM
This is a quickie I tried on Art Spectrum, 9x12, dark grey, with polychromos hard pastels and a couple softies. The water is awful, I know, mostly due to my own indecisiveness. Hopefully, I'll work that part out better if I do this one again. At any rate, it's something....better'n nothin'....

Whadda ya mean - better than nothing. This is a great little painting. You've got to stop putting yourself down. You hold that head up and be proud of this painting and of yourself. :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
06-19-2004, 04:00 PM
I looked in E. Mowery's book, The Pastelists' Year, to see how she handled it. Here's what she says : it's "best looked at, appreciated, and in my opinion, dismissed as subject matter". In other words, don't even bother!
But I bothered anyway. Both are 5x7 o.p.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/6393-gpoint_from_hill.jpg The background hills did look that bright.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/6393-rothsay_nature_trail83.jpg Lots of mozzies came with this one.

Wendy - I'm glad that you "bothered" - we can interpret greens in different ways and these are two good examples of that!

Khadres
06-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Kat, I just get aggravated when I know what I MEANT to do with a pic and then DIDN'T...know what I mean? Ah, well...

SunD. I like BOTH the little 5X7s! Very colorful and rich. I pick the second as my favorite of the two, but both are lovely.

ChasCreek
06-20-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi all!

Well I have been hanging out in the watercolour section for a wee while. But I did get the pastels out last night for an under 60 min quickie.

The reference photograph for this I found in someones thread a while back, and if my memory serves me right I think it was a photograph used for a project here on WC. If I have inadvertently stolen someones pic that wasn't intended for others to use as a reference then I appologise, but I can't see me having saved it if it was the case.

Anyway, figure drawing was always one of my favorites at art school and I was in the mood for some quick figure drawing. Quite a few of my ex's also got the charlie nude painting treatment, but of course I did always keep my socks on for somewhere to keep the burshes. (Ah the old ones are the best eh! hehe). so here is my under 60 min quickie.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jun-2004/27463-study.JPG

Charlie

E-J
06-20-2004, 07:03 PM
LOL Chas! This is terrific - is it just black & white or did you use some grey pastels too? Looks like the paper you chose was a perfect midtone, which is always helpful in establishing values. The modelling of her boobs is especially good. You lingered on that bit, right? ;)

Dominic, fortunately I see you've already got some sound comments from our resident landscape expert, Deborah, as I would love to offer you C&C on this one but don't feel qualified - frankly, painting a landscape from my imagination would give me the screaming heebie jeebies :eek: :D You've got a good start. You might think about posting this to a separate thread (if you haven't already - I haven't had much chance to check the forums today) in order to get more input and advice. Keep us updated!

Sooz ... why is your water 'awful'? Looks pretty good to me! This is one of the purposes of the sketches ... you get to work through problems and figure out how you're going to tackle the subject in a more considered piece ... Glad to see you posting your pastel work instead of wasting time on all that pointless housework :)

sundiver
06-22-2004, 10:54 PM
EJ
Wendy.....have you considered the posibility of finding a book publisher for this collection of beautuful paintings??? They make me so happy to look at. I could see them in an inspirational quote of the day type book, sacred or secular.

Preston, what a nice thing to say! Thank you! Actually, of the 86 plein air sketches I've made, I've matted some and sold some, and put some in a file, but the majority end up getting covered over and another painting put on the back. I do them for practice (esp observation skills) and fun. That's probably why I enjoy them so much: I don't care if they turn out!