PDA

View Full Version : Ships at Bay

woodguy
06-14-2004, 11:34 AM
This is my first post to the "Marine" forum. And this is only my second "Marine" painting so I am hoping to some some good advice from those with more experience! Jim

anney
06-14-2004, 12:04 PM
I am obviously less experienced than you, so I cannot give any advice... but I like what you did!

Anne

Marty C
06-14-2004, 07:31 PM
This is my first post to the "Marine" forum. And this is only my second "Marine" painting so I am hoping to some some good advice from those with more experience! Jim
Hi Jim,
A warm welcome to the MArine Art forum.
I think you have the advice thing the wrong way around - with work like this, you should be giving it, not getting it. Fantastic work. Question - what medium, size and support? With this standard I would love to see more.

woodguy
06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
Thank you Anney and Marty for your kind comments! This painting is is an oil on a 24" x 30" hardboard panel. This was painted alla prima in about 4 hrs yesterday. The first marine painting I did was last week. I will add that as an attachment. Thanks again for your comments. Jim

The attached image is of an oil, 18" x 24" on hardboard panel.

xavier
06-14-2004, 08:37 PM
Your doing just fine jim!Just keep painting and posting!

Tanilba
06-15-2004, 04:22 AM
Hi Jim
I like you first painting very much, but your second is fantastic, striking, moody with lots of unseen drama to imagine. Would love to view more of your work
Regards Glenda

Diane Cutter
06-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Both paintings are wonderful. In the first, I especially like the water in the lower left area. Very well done...

But the second is fabulous. It has a mood to it, which is not always captured in marine painting, since we often go for nautical correctness and forget mood. Wonderful.

I do hope you will continue with the marine theme because you have a gift...

Diane

SilverLady
06-19-2004, 12:36 PM
The paintings are very good. I loved the first one as I viewed it and then the second one came up and I love it even more.

Silverlady

Dirt Dude
06-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Great work. I liked the cold clarity of the first painting. It kinda reminded me of this photo taken in Moss Landing, CA, however, you painting seems more real in some way. Howard

ripvanblair
06-22-2004, 03:49 AM
Nice feel to the first one, very dreamy atmosphere, nice handling of the reflections, looks very good, maybe just a highlight on one of the ships to lead your eye through the painting, otherwise---------well done---------Alan

Richard Barron
06-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I have been painting marine subjects professionallyfor some 17 years now and your painting is a very good effort for only your second attempt! If you stick at it and study water, reflection and skies and of course the boats you could make a real name for yourself. I particularly like the handling of the reflections and the good use of colour.

RB

woodguy
06-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Xavier! I appreciate you commenting.

Thanks, Tanilba! I am getting ready to post one that I did yesterday.

Thank you, for the very nice comments, Diane!

Thank you very much, SilverLady!

Thanks, Howard! Nice referance photo.

Thanks for the suggestion and kind comments, Alan!

Thank, RB, very encouraging comments!

Thanks again to all for looking and commenting, Jim