PDA

View Full Version : flinch (warning - dark)

nytefall
06-14-2004, 10:41 AM
i've gotten some strong reactions to this, hence the warning.

i started this a while ago (even posted it in the abandoned works thread) and just recently got an opportunity to finish it.

poser and photoshop. inspired by the alanis morisette song of the the same name.

please feel free to comment or critique :) thank you for looking.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2004/8703-flinch.jpg

JCoop
06-14-2004, 11:19 AM
nytefall, you're that rare person who actually realizes that Poser is just a starting point! :clap: ...Often I see art that looks like it starts in Poser and ends in Poser, with that inevitable mannequin like stiffness about it.

I like this piece very much! The dark atmosphere is perfect, the texture on the walls is very convincing (love the cracks!).

I would say that the text on the wall is too crisp and doesn't have that graffiti feel... too clean looking. Also her hands may look a bit too "flattened out".

I'm very impressed by your skill!

captan
06-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Dark? Well maybe if it didn't have a heart in it. I just find this so typical, maybe I'm just cold hearted and un-emotional.

Also did you do any research on how blood-spatter look like? I'm having a hard time figuring out how those stains got on the wall.

The cracks are nice.

Jet
06-14-2004, 11:40 AM
You're creating a emotionally strong scenario here, and one can sense this generally.
i won't delve into technical details as not proficient enough..

....i agree with Sam (captan) about the behavior of blood splatterings.
....they tell us a lot how they got there.
That's the risk when drawing splatters- i'd stay just with the smears for a safe bet.

Great job all around...you really are creating a mood here.....

Regards

nytefall
06-14-2004, 12:17 PM
jcoop - thank you so much! :) poser is extremely useful. i use it all the time! i have to be more careful with the hands tho. and i didnt even notice that about the text *blush*

captan - thank you for your comment :) i did some research, but since this was a personal piece i wasnt as worried about little details as i was about mood. do you have any suggestions for improvement, especially since i don't quite understand your comment about the image being typical?

jet - thank you :) i was working on mood more than details here, so im glad that came through. maybe the splatters were a little overkill, LOL never really used them on this scale before :)

Michael
06-14-2004, 07:22 PM
I won't repeat what has already been said...Just that I like it...I would do something other than the heart though...maybe underlining the graffiti or exclamation points?

bloodjelly
06-15-2004, 04:46 AM
Good job creating a true mood with this piece. I agree with coop about the hand looking flat, and maybe the blood could use more drips? The bloody handprint also seems a little dark and stands out more than the rest of the blood. Nice work harnessing two technologies to make something where the craft isn't the first thing you see.

Cronious
06-15-2004, 03:35 PM
This is a VERY powerful image

I think it is just fine how it is and here is why:
When people come to this state nothing is perfect, not even there cries for help :(

I love this, just don't show it to anyone who is depressed........ or maybe do show it, because there is nothing like sharing to help realise that there is sadness alaround, I takes a lot to produce an image of such power.

Keep safe all