PDA

View Full Version : i m having ISSUES!!!!

kptad2
06-14-2004, 12:11 AM
hey guys ive tried since yesterday to load images on to WC.. and every time and i mean every single time im readyto gett he image(s) i cant find them in my files .. but only when i have the fie window open under WC.. i signed up for enw prrject and was ready to do this again adnyet it is no where to be found.. and from the drop down menu for the file window my choices are "all file, picture. jpg etc..and html only what gies here .. i save my files all the same.. im one fromat so i can getto them easier.. but can any one help figure out t what the heck is going here.. is there something new that i am no aware of here .. or can it be something with my pc.. now i know i can or use to be able to upload anything but why i cant now is litterally driving me batty . sooo please who ever can maybe help i would appriciate it .. thanks KP :confused: :confused: :confused: :crying: :confused: :( :crying: :confused: :mad: :confused: :mad: :confused:

Jin
06-14-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi,

How frustrating!

Try this (I don't know if you can do this on a Mac but you can on a PC):

When you have the window open to locate your file, where the file name would be if you were saving, type....

*.*

...to display all files in that folder.

Or, if you remember the file extension (i.e., JPG), type.....

*.jpg

... to display all JPG files in that folder.

If all else fails, create a new folder and move the file you want to upload into that folder. It'll be the only file in the folder so you won't be able to miss it.

Good luck! :)

kptad2
06-14-2004, 01:14 AM
If all else fails, create a new folder and move the file you want to upload into that folder. It'll be the only file in the folder so you won't be able to miss it. :D

ill try this ansd see if that works,, thank you ......

Jet
06-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Kptad,
i guess Jin's right..
See, what happens there is that probably the last file you've saved (or opened) is a .bmp for instance, then later on you try to open a ,jpg file and you can't find it. This is because the program id looking for all*.bmp not .jpg

The program 'remembers' the last type of file you worked with so it's easier for you to concentrate in looking only for those files, but when you want to look for another file type you need to change the file extension to the proper one....In case you don't know which extension could be, then just write *.* as the file name to look for and the window will show all file types at once..

This is basically the same that Jin said before , just extended a little more...

Hope you solved the mystery, if not, then the mystery will be upon us this time ... :D

ask again if you need any help !!>

Thanks Jin--a real doll !!
Regards

Jin
06-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Jet,

Thanks for going a bit further with the explanation. Try as I might, there are still times when I leave important details out.

Not everyone knows what *.* means, after all.

:p

captan
06-14-2004, 04:47 AM
this so do not belong here, tech support or site disc. whatever, not digital art

kptad2
06-14-2004, 12:07 PM
this so do not belong here, tech support or site disc. whatever, not digital art
i know that this should be there but what im trying todo is relevent to this area and i thought i might get some help here ..

i tried that and still no luck .. ill give a go today was kinda late when i posted this thread thanks guys for your help

kptad2
06-14-2004, 12:28 PM
ahh this sucks.. i had to make a short cut to desk top in irder for me to get this loaded... ahh well at least i can find it ....

kptad2
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
ahh haaa.. i have no idea what i did buttt i thinks its working.... wooo hoo ..lol

anyway here is ME this is the picture i have submitted for the lastest project... :D :clap: :D :clap: :clap:

Jet
06-14-2004, 12:35 PM
Kim,
latest project ?...you mean this is fresh blood for the dungeon ?

poor girls ..oh well....be it !!:evil:

Regards :D
:cool:

kptad2
06-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Kim,
latest project ?...you mean this is fresh blood for the dungeon ?

poor girls ..oh well....be it !!:evil:

Regards :D
lol :D :angel:

Michael
06-14-2004, 07:19 PM
OOOOOOooooo, More for me to mutilate :evil:

What a gorgeous picture!!

Jin
06-15-2004, 01:14 PM

Shall I guess this is the reason my two (maybe more) requests for help in another thread were not answered?

I asked someone (at least one request directed to Jet) to explain to me why my images were not displaying when I used image tags. Only the URL was displayed in my messages.

(Sorry, I don't recall which thread it was where I asked for help, and don't have time to go look it up now.)

Newcomers do need to have it explained to them exactly where to ask such questions, and a link to the place would be nice too. WetCanvas is huge and it's sometimes not easy to find things.

Just a suggestion. :)

Michael
06-15-2004, 01:45 PM
There is nothing wrong with asking for help in the forum you frequent. While it is true that majority of posts deal with showcasing or critiqueing work, the technical side of the forum and site are proper threads also. Especially simce you know you are more likely to get a response where you are known by others. Just my opinion, of course. :D

Jet
06-15-2004, 02:03 PM
Jin,
i don't recall having looked any questions addressed to me,but ...as you've known me better you can be sure i would 've said something.

You can ask for help and that question will be always answered..
No question leaves this site without an answer, unless heavily sedated !!

there are no stupid questions....<(except would you marry me ?) yuk yuk

Regards

Michael
06-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Rest assured Jorge...you answered her...At least I remember...LOL

Jin
06-15-2004, 04:30 PM
Michael,

OK, smarty pants, tell me where Jet answered me. :D

I do remember the thread now. It was the one in which I shared my "Just a Leaf" image.

I'll go read that thread carefully now, looking for Jet's response to my question. If I find it, I'll come back here and apologize to him.

;)

Michael
06-15-2004, 04:35 PM
Well Jinny...it may be another thread I am thinking of. This issue was brought up recently also in regards to PS7.0 and PS7.1...I may have crossed threads..I sowwy :crying:

Jin
06-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Musta been in another thread, Michael (you're forgiven). ;)

I'd still like an answer to the question, posted twice in the "Just a Leaf" thread where, even after looking carefully just now I could not find a response, and again one time in this thread.

Do I have to begin another thread to get the answer? It seems like this thread should suffice, since it's about technical issues related to posting images already.

Please???

Thanks in advance. :)

captan
06-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Is this your question?

Can someone please tell me if it's possible to display an image that's located on my own server, using image tags? I'm trying it again today, but don't expect it'll work any better than yesterday.

I don't want to upload my images to the Wet Canvas server or any other message board's server as I prefer to keep them on my own site for various reasons.

if it is then I think this is a question you certainly would have gotten an answer to in the site disc. forum - Scot allways responds when I ask something there.

But to actually anwser your question, I think it is as simple as:

"You are not allowed to link to offsite images".

Follow up question: "Why?"

Captan: "Because Scott has disabled that feature on purpose."

Jin: "Why, goddamit, why? Why won't you tell me!!"

C: "I don't know. You'll propably have to ask Scott. Only he knows the true meaning."

J: "..."

C: "...but I have a theory..."

J: "Yes?"

C: "I think he's afraid someone might abuse the system otherwise - by having all images on his side HE can control what images are displayed and there's also the part about archivability (if that is a word) - offsite linked images may be taken down at some unknown future time, making old thread on a forum that relies heavily on images useless. This is propably why you are not even allowed to delete any images that you upload. He's kinda keeping the images as HOSTAGE! Something I really dissaprove of - but does anyone listen?"

J: "No?"

C: "You're damn right about that!!! ...well, I hope that solved your mystery?"

J: "Oh yes! Mr Captain Sir, thank you very much!!"

C: "Don't mention it trooper! Carry on!"

Jin
06-15-2004, 09:07 PM
Captan,

Let's make it perfectly clear that you invented that dialog in your last message. None of it was true Jinny quotes, though entertaining to read in any case. :p

Paraphrased with some extraneous text removed, here's what Ivyleaf explained to me over in the Site Discussions forum:

Images residing on servers other than the WetCanvas server cannot be displayed in WetCanvas threads. This is true as well for remote linking from any other site to images residing on the WetCanvas server. In other words, just as Jet told me, remote linking is not allowed in either direction, in or out

All work at WetCanvas is archived so in the future if someone wishes to discuss a thread, the image resides on the member's server, and by then the member's domain server space no longer exists (or Jinny now adds to the explanation: the image file name is changed, the image is moved to another location on the server, or the image is removed from the server), that portion of WetCanvas' history is lost along with some of the learning that comes with being a WetCanvas member.

Members are encouraged to use the image systems that WetCanvas provides to keep the integrity of this site so that everyone, now and in the future, can learn from our works.

In addition, there's the problem of abuse in both directions (linking to images on other servers and linking from other sites to images on the WetCanvas server).

I thanked Ivy and said I'll continue posting URL's instead since I prefer not to upload my images to other servers than my own domain servers.

It's not what I was hoping to hear, but I can accept the rules once I know what they are.

Next time, so's not to make Captan grumpy, I'll try to remember to post such questions in the Site Discussions forum.

(It is fun reading those grumpy posts, though.) :evil:

kptad2
06-15-2004, 09:38 PM
There is nothing wrong with asking for help in the forum you frequent. While it is true that majority of posts deal with showcasing or critiqueing work, the technical side of the forum and site are proper threads also. Especially simce you know you are more likely to get a response where you are known by others. Just my opinion, of course. :D

thank you this was my point exactly

captan
06-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Sure, ask your questions in the wrong place - I don't mind, my comments (if you have the ability to read between the lines) imply that the best places to post this sort of questions are elsewhere. I even mention where these places would be. (and if you can't find these places - it's a problem with this sites navigation - not me - complain about it to the admins) The reason these places are better suited to ask these questions is because you have a higher chance of getting a good and valid answer in these places, and faster. So if you have the ability to read between the lines you would understand that what I'm saying is not that it doesn't belong here - but me telling you where to go to post where you have a higher chance of success getting your answers.

Sure, one could argue that I should answer the question directly instead of pointing elsewhere in a blunt and rude manner, but by doing so you indirectly encourage others to post in the wrong section, which serves no other purpose than diluting the forums real content.

(one could also argue that when posting a thread one could label the topic in a way which makes it clear exactly what kind of ISSUES one is having, so those who are not feeling like answering off-topic questions don't need to bother looking - an example of a good topic title in this case would be "Problems uploading images")

Obviously they are not real quotes in my post above, and I'm sure no one with enough brainpower to visit these forums (what with the difficult navigation and all) would perceive it as such. Everybody just chill.

kbilltv
06-16-2004, 11:06 AM
ahh haaa.. i have no idea what i did buttt i thinks its working.... wooo hoo ..lol

anyway here is ME this is the picture i have submitted for the lastest project... :D :clap: :D :clap: :clap:

I'm not as concerned with posting in the wrong place when it comes to questions as I am with posting in the wrong thread when it comes to photos I can get surreal on. I would have missed this completely!

As to the original question: I've noticed in ps8/osx, that merely saving a file isn't enough. I have to go to the file icon and click on it; sometimes even rename it, before the upload browser will recognize it. This is an osx thing, as internal browsers sometimes have the same problem.

kptad2
06-16-2004, 11:17 AM
Sure, ask your questions in the wrong place - I don't mind, my comments (if you have the ability to read between the lines) imply that the best places to post this sort of questions are elsewhere. I even mention where these places would be. (and if you can't find these places - it's a problem with this sites navigation - not me - complain about it to the admins) The reason these places are better suited to ask these questions is because you have a higher chance of getting a good and valid answer in these places, and faster. So if you have the ability to read between the lines you would understand that what I'm saying is not that it doesn't belong here - but me telling you where to go to post where you have a higher chance of success getting your answers.

Sure, one could argue that I should answer the question directly instead of pointing elsewhere in a blunt and rude manner, but by doing so you indirectly encourage others to post in the wrong section, which serves no other purpose than diluting the forums real content.

(one could also argue that when posting a thread one could label the topic in a way which makes it clear exactly what kind of ISSUES one is having, so those who are not feeling like answering off-topic questions don't need to bother looking - an example of a good topic title in this case would be "Problems uploading images")

Obviously they are not real quotes in my post above, and I'm sure no one with enough brainpower to visit these forums (what with the difficult navigation and all) would perceive it as such. Everybody just chill.

i did read "between the lines' and i felt it was more suitable to post here.. i did understand your point and maybe so this should have been asked in the techy forums.. but "I" chose here as far as i thought forums are where w e can all learn from each other get help if needed i didnt know there were any "rules: on where you can post something whether it be a help question or showling your latest piece..
and as far as my subject title to this thread.. or for any thread.. you dont have to answer if you dont want to.. but now that its all said and done.. i had my " ISSUES" which have been helped/ thanks everyone...BTW and i think this subject to could just end now.. next time i will make it a point not to lable my thread so "loosly" as well as go to the "right place" to ask my questions .. so i wont cause anyone any unwanted reading or for that matter flood the forum with uselss info or questions.. i dont want to bother any one. i think ive said all "I" have to say one this "issue"..

captan
06-16-2004, 11:28 AM
As to the original question: I've noticed in ps8/osx, that merely saving a file isn't enough. I have to go to the file icon and click on it; sometimes even rename it, before the upload browser will recognize it. This is an osx thing, as internal browsers sometimes have the same problem.

Go up one level in the folder hierarchy and then back down to the folder with the file - the folder contents should refresh and your newly created file should be visible. You shouldn't have to rename it.

Jet
06-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Guys and Gals,
to keep it cool i went and asked upstairs about this.

They say there is a place where are the faqs and lots of other info from all around, nevertheless the members are allowed to ask questions related to WC and the way it works.
IF the question can be answered in a short and quick manner the better, in case there is an extended answer send the member and question to the proper forum for experienced members answer it.
No politics, religion or any other conflictive issues to be drawn into any forum, only to Debate forums.
Retoric threads where one or many members "snag" the thread for doing LOONNG "explanations" on the explanations are considered rude and of bad taste , as members tend to "get away" from these type of "flaming" or "just getting too personal" threads, are not desirable and should be reported at once.

The main concern of ALL members at any forum should be the general well being and understanding, if anyone doesn't feel he/she can't cope that day with other human beings , please take a short vacation and think it over before attacking fellow artists for a minor detail.

An adult, understanding and friendly behavior is expected from everyone at all times- a reckless behavior could cause warnings and/or penalties- please refer to the FAQ and rules in WC on this matter...

In a nutshell, that was about it...

Regards

kbilltv
06-16-2004, 08:53 PM
The main concern of ALL members at any forum should be the general well being and understanding, if anyone doesn't feel he/she can't cope that day with other human beings , please take a short vacation and think it over before attacking fellow artists for a minor detail.

Regards

Or visit the "Who are you people" thread in this or the photography-manipulations forum, and avail yourself to the catharsis of artistically digressing upon the generous martyrs therein, (of which I am one). Works for me after a hard day's work!

Jet
06-16-2004, 09:06 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Dec-2003/27782-rofl2.gif
i believe they forgot that one Bill-

***have a good sense of humor !!

Thanks for reminding us that:
................... This is about having fun too !! :clap:

kbilltv
06-16-2004, 09:23 PM
... and avail yourself to the catharsis of artistically digressing upon the generous martyrs therein, (of which I am one).

... And of which, Jet is not one. He keeps promising though. Even used the "dog ate my homework" excuse.

Jet: nudge. nudge. I 'got' everybody there already, and have no catharsis for today's hard day's work.

Jet
06-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Bill,
I guess i owe you some fang-sharpenning pleasure
for that rare barbarian condition of yours.

*that curvy dog just got me another AC cord,
so you all can have another one for your head collection later tonite ! :confused: :eek: :(

Regards

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/27782-asthanos.gif

kbilltv
06-16-2004, 09:54 PM
Bill,

so you all can have another one for your head collection later tonite ! :confused: :eek: :(

Regards

You rock!

Jin
06-16-2004, 10:27 PM

Captan,

Chill?

Your message reminds me of something my ex-husband used to say to me when I was angry:

"Don't smile. You'll crack your face."

That always made me laugh.

Maybe we should all lighten up and consider that there's humor to be found in each post even if it does take a second or two to notice it. It's worth the effort.

My silly comment about your invented dialog was just that.. silly, and meant to kid you a little.

Didn't you notice that I did find the right place to ask technical questions, that I got a clear answer, and posted the paraphrased version?

Obviously, your suggestion had a productive outcome, so thanks.

Smile, it won't really crack your face. ;)

kbilltv
06-17-2004, 04:29 AM
Bill,

Regards

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/16-Jun-2004/27782-asthanos.gif

Alas... it's 1:20am. What was your last name again? Li... lier... no, li-ar!!! I'm now catharless, when I was promised catharsis! You... you... sniff... Liera! I'm cool. Go ahead, post... I won't hold this against you. One's nature is revealed in their promises and fulfillment, but I am not concerned with such things. I just want my catharsis. Puerco!

How come I don't have a "devil" icon to choose from???

Jet
06-17-2004, 04:36 AM
Hey Bill,
have some of the same the cucaracha had to calm down a little, you got the picture at the who are you thread ...

And not at the you are having issues...oh well i guess you are having issues alright !! :D

Go get it my chancho friend !!

Regards