PDA

View Full Version : WDE 06/12 Sniffin' for Bee's

lisilk
06-13-2004, 09:34 PM
I thought I'd better stop slackin' off and be a good host by participating. :p :D

I DO NOT do people...unless they have mer- tails or fairy wings so that's my challenge for myself. This is about 40 minutes with many more to go. I keep hearing my sister refered to as the little girl in the garden. She will be thrilled ! She's mid- 50's ! LOL. Don't be surprised if a few sun fairies slip into the foilage.

30 X 30 Charmuese silk and dyes ( gutta resist. ) The skin is still wet so will dry a bit lighter.

THANKS AGAIN everyone for playing with me this weekend !

Crits always welcome.

Drumbeat-trish
06-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Oooooooohhhhhhhhh that skin looks so REAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be a stunner !!!!!! and I think a few little fairy folk would look just awesome - nothing like an in their 50's little girl sniffing the flowers and finding fairys :D :D

Deano
06-13-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow, impressive!! I don't know anything about silk painting, but I do know that you have a real winner happening here. The softness and colour really fit the mood. I got a small silk painting kit from a relative about five years ago, and it's still in the box...didn't have the nerve or patience to get started. Love your work! :clap: :clap: :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, you sister sure is a YOUNG mid-50's. Honestly I did think it was a young girl.

You are doing a wonderful job on this so far. Can't wait to see what else you do. Will check back later.

pjo
06-13-2004, 10:54 PM
This looks like it going to be fantastic. I also do not know a thing about silk painting, but can see the accuracy of the drawing, and the skin just glows. I can't wait to see the final version.

ps - Thanks for the great images and taking the time to host this WDE.

geminidream
06-13-2004, 11:15 PM
looks like its gonna be just breathtaking , I do hope you put some fairy's in there that would be so much fun to see!!!!! :D and would be just super!! thank you for hosting such a great wde also :clap: :clap: :clap: gem

dabblerdot
06-14-2004, 02:07 AM
The way the light illuminates the round curves of the arm, and the jawline, are incredible !!!!! :clap: The hat is beautiful, with that band around it and the flash of sun across. What are those little cat-paw like things on the right edge- is that to make that side stretchable, as compared to the immovable thumbtacks on left and bottom ?
I hope you repost this when you finish, even if it's a different weekend. It's magic already !! :clap: :clap:
And thank you so much, lisilk, for the incredible images from which to choose-awesome !! I wish I'd had time for a Moro Lk pic but alas, ranout of time. :crying:

lisilk
06-14-2004, 03:11 AM
Thank you everyone for your encouragement. I had fun hosting again after so long..

Dabbler- Those cat paw things are called Chinese hooks. The have 3 razor sharp pins that slip into the silk without causing damage. On larger pieces I use them on all sides but something small like this I just tack in two sides which still allows for some stretching and shrinking as the silk gets wet and dries.

Trish and Gem- Still haven't decided on the fairies. :evil: Means more work for me. I have a hard time painting people so I really appreciate the comments on the skin.

Judy- I called my sis and told her everyone thinks she looks like a kid. LOL. She was happy to hear it. :D

Deano- dig out that silk painting kit and follow the link in my signature. :p

Here is my 2 hour shot. As you can see, it dries quite a bit lighter. The most tedious part of silk painting is laying in the initial dye lines then covering them with resist ( gutta. ) Once I get through this stage, couple more hours, it goes by quickly.

CAULFIELD
06-14-2004, 08:46 AM
THIS IS SILK PAINTING?! :clap: :clap: Gorgeous! I love how the two flowers by the woman look like they are getting ready for her to smell! Very expressive as well as realistic.
~Nicole

Kathryn Wilson
06-14-2004, 12:38 PM
Li - the host has to have fun too! I'm so impressed that you are doing this on silk - something I've always wanted to try, but never quite get there. Will follow your link and see what it's all about.

Judging from this, it looks to be fun!

Precious Mazie
06-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Silk painting? O how beautiful. I am going to visit your link to learn more. :clap: :clap: :clap:

artbyjune
06-14-2004, 03:48 PM
This is looking great!! I love the skin just highlighted in the sunshine and the lovely sunflowers. I think fairies would be nice too.

I've always wanted to do silk painting, but have never tried it. I like those Chinese silk paintings and would just love to have a go.

Thanks for the great photos this weekend.

cmwynn
06-14-2004, 05:35 PM
This has such lovely colors. And, again, I am learning something new. I know someone who does silk painting but have not actually seen her work. I will read your link too.
Connie

lisilk
06-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Just an update to let you know at least one fairy made it in ! LOL. Didn't have time to work on it yesterday. Hope to make a lot of progress today. The harsh lines you see on the body ( and other area's ) are illusions, that's the resist and will disappear once set and dry cleaned.

Thank you for looking and commenting Nicoloe, Kat, Mazie, Stumptail, and Connie.

Charlie's Mum
06-15-2004, 05:55 PM
Gosh! the detail, light and shade, tonal work are AMAZING!
This is so delicate and yet realistic (even the fairy from the bottom of the garden)! What will you do with it when finished? Do you frame to protect or use as a wall-hanging? It's so beautiful :D :clap: :clap: :clap:

dragonlady
06-15-2004, 05:58 PM
It really is coming along well, love the shading and the feeling of light. So glad the fairy made it. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

artbyjune
06-16-2004, 12:41 AM
I love the addition of the fairy...makes it extra interesting. A little surprise!!
June

YYcat
06-16-2004, 10:24 AM
WOW, this is so beautiful. Summer and sunshine. :D

MKathleen
06-16-2004, 12:12 PM
:clap: Li this is looking great beautiful bright colors...when will we see an update? I love the title too.

marilyn h
06-16-2004, 04:43 PM
How come there is a fairy in your Garden and not mine!!!!??????
I didn't see one in my photograph and here I like fantasy. It must have come into existence when I wasn't looking. Also there seems to be magic in this silk painting. Love it!

lorna12
06-16-2004, 04:49 PM
Li, I am such a fan of your silk art! I really enjoyed following along on your 'under the sea" one with the turtles and your "4 seasons" one (waiting patiently for an update there) and I am looking forward to seeing this one done. For someone who doesn't do people you sure have done a great job on your sister! The light in this is magical!

For those who haven't seen it, Lisilk's "Four Seasons" WIP thread is great, too. Have a look!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184083

lisilk
06-17-2004, 03:41 AM
Here's the 3/4 finished update.

Thank you Maureen, Joy , June, Joanna, Kath, Marilyn, and Lorna for your kind comments.

Maureen- I never frame them but my customer's do. I usually work MUCH larger than this. On the big ones, I sew a band at the top and hang on dowels.

Marilyn- I'm so sorry you missed the fairy. She must've been cooling off in the birdbath when you printed the picture off. :p

Lorna- Thank you for shamelessly plugging me at every opportunity. The admiration is mutual.

At this point...leaves, fairy wings, ect. have a lot of resist so starting to lose the true colors a bit but you get the idea. Also, she still needs a face but that will be last. Hope to finish before going to bed. ( Lot's of glare, sorry. )

Thanks for hanging in with this.

Drumbeat-trish
06-17-2004, 04:23 AM
keep going keep going -this is gorgeous !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Charlie's Mum
06-18-2004, 04:23 PM
Bumping this back up because it's gorgeous and want to keep it's development in focus! :)

lisilk
06-18-2004, 05:26 PM
FINISHED !....More or less. LOL. I need to tone down that red on the hills ! Got too dark as usual with the background, hard to work with dye on a piece this small but you get the idea. ( Notice many flowers in front of that wierd right arm ! LOL. ) This is heavily laden with resist and salt now. I still need to steam set it, wash it out and then dry cleaning will remove the resist and the colors will be truer.

Thanks Trish and Maureen !

dragonlady
06-18-2004, 05:32 PM
This is really beautiful, love the fairy's wings and that hat is amazing. Can't wait to see it 'cleaned up'.

ajlec2000
06-18-2004, 08:08 PM
Wow, the saturation of the colors is amazing. Beautiful piece.

sundiver
06-18-2004, 09:19 PM
I thought I'd commented on this days ago, after about the second stage :confused: .Must have been dreaming!
Speaking of dreaming, this is dreamy! I love everything about it.
The garden fairy is delightful. I don't seem to have one in my garden, although my kids believe in the Laundry Fairy. How would that look in a painting lol?

CAULFIELD
06-18-2004, 10:10 PM
wow, wow, wow! I have to go look at your other work now! Bye - Nicole

lorna12
06-19-2004, 03:03 AM
This is really a lovely piece! Even if it is full of resist and salt...the sunshine in it is so bright the light sparkles! Love the fairy!! (I am very partial to unicorns and fairies)

Can you post this again after it's all done with the drycleaners? (That is if you don't sell it that day! ;) :D )

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I forgot to add that I really like how you have those leaves reaching out over the edge of the frame...it's a wonderful touch!

geminidream
06-19-2004, 03:16 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap: Li , I love the fairy, I am so glad you put her in there.
It is beautiful , i love the way you did the hat also the rim looks 3-d.
I would love to see it after it dries as it looks gorgeous the way it is
do you frame silk? most excellent :D
gem :)

lisilk
06-19-2004, 03:17 AM
Thank you so much Joy, AJ, Wendy, Nicole and Lorna. You all are so nice and encouraging.

I WILL post this again once it's steamed and dry cleaned. I do that in batches so need a few more before I take it in. ( Better go stretch one for tomorrow ! )

When you see this pop up again in a week or two...it will be the finish.

Lorna...hmmm, a unicorn. Haven't done one in a long, long time. May do that next after the dragon I have kickin' around in my den. :D

lisilk
06-19-2004, 03:21 AM
Gem,

You snuck in while I was posting. Thank you very much. I was really pleased with the hat too. Never done this subject before so was challenging. The small ones like this frame very nicely though I usually let the customer's do that because of cost.

I will post again when dry cleaned but it will be a week or two.

Thank you ( ! ) and everyone who has commented..

P.S.- Wendy there must be a laundry fairy as my husband thinks there's a toilet fairy since he's never seen the bathroom need cleaning. LOL.

artbyjune
06-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Beautiful!! :clap: :clap:

guilliame
06-20-2004, 08:57 AM
Wow Isilk,this is super so far.i love those skin tones and the hat,this will be a beaut when it's finished :clap:

dabblerdot
06-23-2004, 09:15 PM
Li- I'm sorry to be so late to see this beautiful painting, but I have to say it's taken my breath away !!! :clap: :clap: :clap: The contrast between the absolutely believable human form with those incredible skin tones and highlights, and the magic of the fairy are enough to suspend disbelief in the 'wee folk'. I admire how well you can concentrate and remember what to do at which stage. You have a gift, thank you for sharing !