PDA

View Full Version : WDE 12/6 The Sun Always Shone..............

Charlie's Mum
06-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Managed at least to start with the rest of you - but the light went by 10pm and the artificial light wasn't good enough......well, that's my story!!
OPs, approx 21x26cm (8.5x10.5-ish ins!), a bit less than 2 hrs - wanted to post earlier but the comp kept crashing - sound familiar?
I like these ops (I think), but will someone please tell me how to get fine lines (as for the chairs)? I tried putting it in the fridge, and even shaping the pastel to a point but I think I should have used paint instead! :rolleyes:
My first 'interior' for years - think I'm leaving it at this stage - some of it I quite like!!!!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2004/30494-Kitchen_chairs_-_finished.jpg

YYcat
06-13-2004, 04:18 PM
Beautiful done. I can't help you with the fine lines. But I like the painting very much :D :clap: :clap:

prestonsega
06-13-2004, 04:24 PM
Excellent job !!!! nice feel....looks like you've mastered the fine line thing.....the shadow under the cabinet is really well rendered...I particularly appreciate the way you concentrated the detail in the chair / table and vinetted with diagonal hatching!!!!! :clap: (don't forget to post in the op weekly sketch thread so that others wont miss this one)

lisilk
06-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Can't help you with the OP question but I'm so happy you made it. This is wonderful, loose feathery strokes, great light. I like this very much ! Terrific painting !

Bertoni
06-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Maureen:
I like the feeling of light you were able to get into this one!! Nice work!! :)

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 05:53 PM
Maureen, this is wonderful. Love the feeling of light that is shining in the painting. Really like your interpretation of this photo. Very very nice. :clap: :clap:

Precious Mazie
06-13-2004, 05:59 PM
I too like the light in this painting. OP's sountds like a hard medium to work with but you have done a wonderful job here! :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-13-2004, 06:07 PM
theres lots of Op'ers in this WDE ..... or you can try the pastel forum, there is a sub division for Oilies now :) ... they would sure to be able to help you out......

I like this semi finished too ..... love the varigated greens giving out the sunshine .... I like the compliments of colours of the table/ware and chairs ... very pleasing to the eye.... well done

Dyin
06-13-2004, 06:56 PM
Maureen...what a great job with the OPs! Fine lines...use the outside edge of the OP...a point will go flat too easily. Also a tool helps...I use a rubber tipped cuticle pusher I got for about a buck....I lay the outside color close and then 'push' it to the edge I want. Certain papers like Art Spectrum Colorfix can also be erased back to an edge. It just takes some practice. You can also lay down a straight edge and run the OP down that. Hope you'll come visit us in the Op forum! You have an unusual delicate touch with these...what brand do you use?

Mo.
06-13-2004, 08:00 PM
Managed at least to start with the rest of you - but the light went by 10pm and the artificial light wasn't good enough......well, that's my story!!
OPs, approx 21x26cm (8.5x10.5-ish ins!), a bit less than 2 hrs - wanted to post earlier but the comp kept crashing - sound familiar?
I like these ops (I think), but will someone please tell me how to get fine lines (as for the chairs)? I tried putting it in the fridge, and even shaping the pastel to a point but I think I should have used paint instead! :rolleyes:
My first 'interior' for years - think I'm leaving it at this stage - some of it I quite like!!!!!!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2004/30494-Kitchen_chairs_-_finished.jpg

This is superb, I can't think for a moment why you would need any finer lines than you have here, everything works, it's a super little painting, Well done indeed, hope you'll come and visit the Op Forum soon. I love the fresh approach and livliness of the Op's. Kudos to you.
:clap: :clap:

Mo.

FriendCarol
06-13-2004, 08:21 PM
Looks good to me. Perhaps you should do more interiors!

Pastel seems to be a very popular medium for the WDE. Maybe you could use a thin metal "eraser shield" to help get thin lines? I use one when trying to draw (with a pencil, I mean), usually to remove part of a fuzzy line and make it cleaner. Don't see why it wouldn't work with pastel sticks just as it does with a kneaded eraser. Being very thin, it stays right down against the paper, and has different shapes cut into it so you could even do some curved bits. They're also very cheap. :)

Drumbeat-trish
06-13-2004, 10:06 PM
A pastelists dream this one :) heck -tempted to try it myself but my sense of perspective is sooooooo poor the chairs would end up with wonky legs just like my ones at home :)
I think you have done a lovely job on this , all the atmosphere is there and everything in the right place -lovely light...

dabblerdot
06-14-2004, 01:41 AM
I can't imagine why you'd need finer lines than you have here- you've got remarkable detail, and absolutely scrummy colours ! I think this is a real treasure- you should be very proud ! :clap: :clap:

ajlec2000
06-14-2004, 03:27 AM
Oil pastels! How do you get such sharp definiton with them. The light is so real too.

CAULFIELD
06-14-2004, 08:39 AM
I love how you used light to give focus:clap:. Nice details too - I agree you don't need finer details - and this is coming from a colored pencil person!

~Nicole

Kathryn Wilson
06-14-2004, 12:47 PM
Whaaa . . . you did a great job on those chairs! Come post this in the oil pastel studio forum - there's lots of new technques going on that we'd all love to share.

Some people use colored pencils for sharper lines - me, I found an oil pastel pencil that works wonders. Sue's suggestion for the cuticle pusher is an excellent choice.

Charlie's Mum
06-14-2004, 05:45 PM
Wow! Thank you for the many tips and the very encouraging comments!
I just came online to look in the pastel forum but thought I'd better check here first and now I'm blushing scarlet!!!!!!!!!! :o

First, about those fine lines I wanted - in the full size version the chair backs look very clumsy and ill-drawn - I lacked the control I like to have. BUT, I take note of the very helpful hints from the OP-ists -

Sue - now I understand what you mean about tools - I've been following a couple of your threads in the OP forum and they're v. helpful. I also tried the hard edge 'guide', just must keep practising!

Mo - thank you for the kind words and the 'invitation' - Preston/s also suggested the weekly drawing in OP forum but I've yet to find it (just need time!)

F/Carol - that eraser shield sounds good but haven't come across them over here - will keep looking tho'.

Kyle - thank you also for the 'invite' - will probably take you up on that soon -still a big learning curve with the OPs for me!

I'm delighted you all think the light worked here because that was my intention! - tho' I wanted it to be warmer!
Having had a good sort of my cheap ops today (Craypas and Faber Castell Studio) I think I have more understanding of what I want and the colours I need.

Now, I'll stop rabbitting on and just say a huge thank you everyone, and goodnight!

cmwynn
06-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Several people have done this scene, and each has a different mood. This is just vague enough to seem very old. Funny how people abandon things like set tables and never come back.
Connie

ams
06-14-2004, 06:35 PM
This is beautiful. Just the right amount of detail in my opinion. It just gives such a nice feeling.

Anne

Deano
06-15-2004, 01:34 AM
The color is great and your fine lines are fine! I really like that light on the wall that sorta dissloves the door, and that great light on the floor. :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-15-2004, 01:47 AM
I love your detailed yet loose approach to this....know what I mean? There is detail where detail is needed and yet some of it is unfinished and it works marvelously!! I really like the lighting in it too! Way to go Maureen! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks to the others for the tips on fine lines in op's...I was wondering about that myself!

geminidream
06-15-2004, 03:33 AM
I really like this one, the way you have captured and brought in the light, really wonderful, work to be proud of, nicely done, sorry i havent any experience in op's so not much help there , but looks to me like you have plenty of detail where you need it!! great painting :clap: :clap:
geminidream :)

Charlie's Mum
06-17-2004, 05:21 PM
Very remiss of me to be so late in saying 'thank you' Connie, Anne, Deano, Lorna and Gem/dream. :crying: :) I really appreciate your comments :)
It's this decorating lark in our hall - could'nt finish until carpet was fitted because we wanted to get the choice of paper on the lower half of the walls right.......and OH! how I've missed my regular fix of WC! :)