PDA

View Full Version : untitled, blood on paper, 6x8 in. approx, 2001

AmyH
09-25-2001, 11:01 AM
delete:eek: :evil:

colorme
09-25-2001, 02:44 PM
i like this one also, it looks like a fairy or someone w/ wings. It's that a hand in the mouth and one above the eye.

AmyH
09-25-2001, 03:21 PM
hi colorme,

thanks. the "method" I use to make these is diff from my usual.

I set a few conditions for myself, use blood, work small, work fast, reasonably balance but dont get caught up in it, use the figure (at first abstract, but the figure forced its way in ;) ). Then I spread the blood around with little thought. The term for working in this manner is automatism, or gestural automatism. The things you see; the wing, the hand touching the mouth, were not planned to be hand and wing, i just "felt like" pushing the blood in that direction. I did want to create a figure, and in that sense was "guided" but without any forethought. I did want them pleasing, as to how the image moved on the paper. The term automatic drawing is also used to describe this. It becomes a "mechanical" operation. The one problem I have with this is that I think in some ways (for me) the operation overides the image, the process is the most important, not the end result. I prefer the image be the most important, or at leat it be a 50/50 deal.

I enjoy this type of process. I have done it before in some large acrylics, but continued on to turn the "creatures", that I saw in the linework, into fully formed entities.

anyhow...rambling , heh.

amy

mame
09-25-2001, 04:30 PM
Hey Amy. Applying certain self-imposed "rules" is a great way to move through transitions, get through stale periods, overcome certain weaknesses, etc. Thanks for reminding me. Did a year long study of automatism using the monotype as a vehicle. Learned so much. Thanks for reminding me of this too!

Was this series an interim experimental activity or are you planning on taking it some where more/else?

AmyH
09-25-2001, 04:45 PM
Just an experimentation. I like setting a scenario too much to go full bore automatism. I enjoy the freedom of the application of the media alot. I have always loved generous paint application, but always paint really thin cause the stuff is so expensive I try to stretch it. That is probably my biggest problem painting, cant get past the worries, will the paint last, am I wasting it, will the viewers be able to follow these transitions I go through enough to take me seriously, blah blah blah :)

its almost crippling!

getting out the color today.

amy

AmyH
09-25-2001, 04:56 PM
hey,

the rustin links you sent (mame) reminded me of how much i enjoy the repeation of form, the legs, double sitting figures, and yet, how that is NEVER something i consciously create in my own work. gonna play with that, color, thick paint, and of course the figure. lets see if the imposition of these things still keeps the previous feel enough to be a reasonably logical transition. yikes. I can tell you now, trying to use thick paint is gonna cause me problems. I did find my ancient oil bars (ten years old and still workable) that may help.

thanks

amy

mame
09-25-2001, 05:28 PM
Okay. Time for a scolding from Auntie Mame.

You stop worrying about paint! Use fewer colors. Ya know...... water soluable printmaking inks (or the oil based for that matter) are a pretty good deal for the money - use like paint. Thick, gooey, can thin if you want. I suspect you know printmaking inks so won't expound on em.

AmyH
09-25-2001, 05:49 PM
hmmm never thought about printmaking inks, have to check the prices out, I have used them a bit.

I will try not to worry about paint. lol.

amy