PDA

View Full Version : WDEJune 12'04 gas pump's memory

dabblerdot
06-12-2004, 11:39 PM
First time for everything-that's one of the many fun things about WDE'S !!
I had a terrible time trying to choose just one pic from Lisilk's wonderful photos, and compromised to make this 2 hr, 10x14" (26x36 cm) w/c on arches 140lb. Never tried this before ( consciously making a spook image) but it was fun and I may work on this a bit more (or not- I change my mind a lot and forget the rest :D ) Now off to see some of the other work ! :)

prestonsega
06-12-2004, 11:46 PM
Oh yeah!! this is great!! you were able to translate the feeling of weathered and abandonment in the painting. Your technique is great ,,,Bravo :clap:

lisilk
06-12-2004, 11:48 PM
Oh this is so cool !! I love it ! First your wc technique is lovely but on top of that, you really captured the " spirit" of the place. Terrific work and concept !

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Dab, I was tempted with this one as well but chose another. Isn't it fun to try different types of things. I am trying to chose something different every week just to learn what I can and cannot do.

You have done a wonderful job on this. Love the pallette. You really did a fine job on this.

Dyin
06-13-2004, 01:26 AM
oooh, first impact is the pumps and the great w/c treatment, then the ghost car slips in...WAY COOL EFFECT!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :Now I'm going to be singing Ghost Riders in the Sky all night!!! really cool :cool:

Europa
06-13-2004, 07:01 AM
Excellent - I LOVE the ghostly car - how clever!!

Pat

Mo.
06-13-2004, 07:45 AM
What a brilliant idea :clap: :clap: you've created a great spooky atmosphere in this one, Super stuff.!!!

Mo.

sundiver
06-13-2004, 08:22 AM
What a cool idea! And it's ghostly without being creepy, because of the warmth of the colors.

Deano
06-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Way to go, Dabblerdot! I like the effect of the transparent auto. Like a memory of something which was right in that spot long ago. I have done a few in this vein on portraits. Example: a deceased parent ( see-through)behind the offspring, symbolizing "I am with you in spirit". Any how, back to your painting,Lol :p . Very nice colour choices and composition. Bravo!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
06-13-2004, 12:36 PM
Wonderful interpretation of a ghost car in a ghost town - I love the concept! Well done!

Drumbeat-trish
06-13-2004, 01:40 PM
Awesome idea , and you pulled it off with great style - fabulous image ! ! ! ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Precious Mazie
06-13-2004, 01:45 PM
This expresses the old and abandon feel very well. Nice Job. :clap:

YYcat
06-13-2004, 03:03 PM
This is very good!!! the too pictures together, ghostcar. Excellant. And the colors you used are beautiful.

Charlie's Mum
06-13-2004, 03:43 PM
Oh very ghostly!
Good idea - and I love your wc technique with sky and petrol pumps - well, all of it really!!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bertoni
06-13-2004, 04:28 PM
Dot:
Incredibly well done!!! I could fill up this note with handclappers!
This is the one I picked to paint, but wasn't able to get to it. Even printed it out to get ready. But you really did it so well! clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-13-2004, 06:28 PM
ohhhh this is great...... so clever too lol, I hadnt read what you had said, and thought OMG.... there is a ghost of a car by those pumps :D :o

... brilliant.... love the colour choices ..... the pumps indeed look well weathered

dabblerdot
06-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I thought "maybe this wants some 'punching up of the reality part", so I put 30 min of soft pastel on this, and I think I have managed to lose the unity of the original. I personally prefer the first one (only wc) and wish that I had only gone back in with more intense colours of that medium. Ahh well, (big sigh) that's how we learn. I may well have messed it up with re-application of wc too :D :D .

My thanks to all who took the time to look and leave all those kind and supportive comments- I appreciate each and every one of them !

Thought I better repost the first for comparison to avoid all the goings back and forth.

Dyin
06-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Well, I do see what you mean, but it's not ruined. I have many a time wished I'd just left something alone but that's all part of our training...it's still a wonderful painting and it takes time to learn that less is more, course it doesn't help that sometimes more IS needed, which just really confuses the whole issue...are you confused? I am! lol!

CAULFIELD
06-14-2004, 09:29 AM
I actually like the reworked better - it adds the grittiness and mood of the photo! The rust looks rustier for instance! :clap: :clap: I Like it. The addition of the pastel also put the focus on the pumps! :) ~Nicole

cmwynn
06-14-2004, 06:39 PM
Both versions are good, but the second does have more rustiness and antiquity to it.
Connie

geminidream
06-14-2004, 11:37 PM
awesome :clap: :clap: :clap: very creative first off, as well as beauty of your job on the painting !!!! LOVE the colors, what type of watercolors do you use?
they are simply beautiful !!! super job :D geminidream :) :clap: :clap:

lorna12
06-15-2004, 01:56 AM
That is so clever!! Well done Lauren....both versions! :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-15-2004, 03:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback on the reworked version- maybe I will look at it with less disdain :rolleyes: :D :D
Gemini- I use Windsor Newton artist quality, including new-to-me Quinacradones- very luminous quality to the couple I have (esp the gold). (I'd like to try different makers such as Sennelier, but can't find a vendor around here- may have to go to the web for them). Permanency concerns me, so I've pretty much abandoned Aliz crimson. Must do a light test on the new Perm. Aliz to see if it's really more permanent.

artbyjune
06-15-2004, 02:22 PM
Great idea...ghost car. I love that original treatment!! :clap: :clap:

dragonlady
06-15-2004, 06:06 PM
I really like this one, on the one hand delicate and ghostly but somehow substantial and rusting back into the earth at the same time. Love the colours you used and the way they all work together.