PDA

View Full Version : WDE 6-12-04 Basking Bristlecones

Deano
06-12-2004, 08:08 PM
I got a late start again. This is oil, 8"x10". This time I just jumped right in swinging the paint on my brush with no prelimenary sketch. I thought it was looking pretty good until I saw it on the monitor. This is two hours worth. Will probably do a little more to see if it can be saved. Another great batch of photos to pick from. Great job, Li!!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0406.JPG

lisilk
06-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Well looks pretty good to me. You captured the warm glow of that early pink/ orange light beginning to wake up those ancient dwellers, soft purple sky as night fades. Maybe just a few darker values and you're done !

Nicely done ! I love the looseness of your strokes.

Europa
06-12-2004, 08:39 PM
Don't think it needs much to save it Deano - you really have used the colours to the best effect and captured the atmosphere.

Pat

theIsland
06-12-2004, 08:40 PM
If you think it looks better IRL than on the monitor, I'd go with that. Every so often there's one that just doesn't look right online. I feel like I'm losing some of the delicacy of the colors in glare on the left side of the canvas, maybe? On the right side, I see some very beautiful gradations in the sky color. Looking forward to more Deano-ization of this one. :)

Noma

Dyin
06-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I think you have a good start, you just needed to step back and figure where to go from here. You've got the glow going, all you need to do is some refining in the trunk and shadow areas...I know you'll pull it off!

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 09:24 PM
Deano, your painting is progress nicely keep going please finish it.

Drumbeat-trish
06-12-2004, 09:36 PM
I like how you jumped in without the sketching - gives it a really painterly feel - you will know where to go from here :)

sundiver
06-12-2004, 10:00 PM
I like it...not sure if it needs a thing; the free and sketchy look works well here.

Deano
06-12-2004, 10:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words. You're right, Noma...I was getting glare from oil sheen.
Here it is after another hour. While I was painting from the monitor( no printer) the canvas jumped off the easel...I made a great two-handed catch before it hit the floor. Had to patch my sky, Lol :D :D . I even got brave and applied the hot colored paint with a painting knife.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0407.JPG
Here's a close up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/34493-DSCN0408.JPG

dabblerdot
06-13-2004, 12:03 AM
:clap: Wow, the light shines right in and through the paint in the texure of the support- that's beautiful !!! :clap: This has such warmth and serenity, it makes me breathe more relaxed ! Congratulations on the great catch, your carpet thanks you and I thank you, for painting this lovely picture ! :clap:

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 01:03 AM
Deano, good for you. Glad you had fun. Love the soft colors and warmness of this painting. Your brush strokes are great. All in all a good job.

Deano
06-13-2004, 01:07 AM
:clap: Wow, the light shines right in and through the paint in the texure of the support- that's beautiful !!! :clap: This has such warmth and serenity, it makes me breathe more relaxed ! Congratulations on the great catch, your carpet thanks you and I thank you, for painting this lovely picture ! :clap:
Thank you, Dabblerdot. You can sure turn a phrase...love it. :D

Deano
06-13-2004, 01:10 AM
Thanks very much, Judy. I may do more to it yet... I keep seeing ways that I think I can improve it.

lisilk
06-13-2004, 01:18 AM
So glad you posted an update. Wow, this came out just luminous ! The deepened shadows make the branches pop. Feel like I'm seeing it just as it was that morning ( although at a much more reasonable hour. LOL ) It shimmers with warmth in a chilly morning. Beautiful job !

Dyin
06-13-2004, 01:20 AM
see...yours is intense too! I love the knife work, the light really catches it..must do more slathering in the future!! :clap:

Deano
06-13-2004, 02:43 AM
Thanks, Sue. I might let the paint set up a bit and darken some of that "flame" down. :D

prestonsega
06-13-2004, 05:20 AM
The knife painting really added the punch to this work....and as the artist, I think we all keep seeing where more work can be done.....sometimes we just have to bless it and move on to the next painting. Knowing when that time has come is a difficult part of what we do. Looks finished to me :clap:

FriendCarol
06-13-2004, 07:55 AM
Kept scrolling back and forth between your postings, and finally decided you just put more 'hot' paint where the warm was, and more dark underneath -- but what a difference! Looks great. :)

One of these days I might finish my several WDE's lying around and post them all in one "WDE updates" thread. (It's a goal, anyway.) To finish my rendering (in watercolor) of this image, I might borrow your "purple at the top edges of the sky" trick... I already have perm. aliz. crimson & Winsor blue in my palette for this one, so it's not much of a stretch, and I think the purple shaping of the sky really strengthens your piece.

When I saw the image, I looked carefully at the photo to see if there was any darkness left in the sky... I didn't see any, so didn't put it in -- I still haven't picked up on the usual ways visual artists improve what they're seeing. :rolleyes: But I'm learning a lot from real artists like you... slowly!

Mo.
06-13-2004, 07:56 AM
Love the warm glowing colours you have there, isn't it great to just plough right in with the paint, gives a certain sort of reckless freedom or should I say abandonment.:) Cracking work!!! :clap: :clap:

Mo.

Deano
06-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I think we all keep seeing where more work can be done.....sometimes we just have to bless it and move on to the next painting. Knowing when that time has come is a difficult part of what we do. Looks finished to me :clap:
It is true: knowing when to quit is a valuable thing indeed. But on an experimental piece such as this, it can stop me short of a lesson learned. This painting hasn't arrived to match the one I visualize in my mind. In these cases I try different approaches to make it so, or until I run out of enthusiasm and interest. :)

Deano
06-13-2004, 10:45 AM
One of these days I might finish my several WDE's lying around and post them all in one "WDE updates" thread. (It's a goal, anyway.) To finish my rendering (in watercolor) of this image, I might borrow your "purple at the top edges of the sky" trick... I already have perm. aliz. crimson & Winsor blue in my palette for this one, so it's not much of a stretch, and I think the purple shaping of the sky really strengthens your piece.

When I saw the image, I looked carefully at the photo to see if there was any darkness left in the sky... I didn't see any, so didn't put it in -- I still haven't picked up on the usual ways visual artists improve what they're seeing. :rolleyes: But I'm learning a lot from real artists like you... slowly!
That's a great idea, Carol. To finish the WDE starts and post 'em in one thread. A great deal more can be learned by taking them to the "finish". And as for painting from a photo very seldom will you find one so "perfect" that it would make a great painting just as it stands. Thank you for your thoughtful remarks. :D

Deano
06-13-2004, 10:50 AM
Love the warm glowing colours you have there, isn't it great to just plough right in with the paint, gives a certain sort of reckless freedom or should I say abandonment.:) Cracking work!!! :clap: :clap:

Mo.
I thank you, Mo. Yes, sometimes it is fun to just jump in...my favorite ones to do this are landscapes.

Charlie's Mum
06-13-2004, 03:59 PM
So hot and rich! I liked the sky on the first upload - don't know if it's changed a little or just my monitor - either way, it's still a lovely soft mix of colour and sets the stronger tones of the trees off so well.
I like the detail too - a painting in its own right! :)
:clap: :clap: :clap:

YYcat
06-13-2004, 04:15 PM
This is a painting I could look at again and again. Because of the warmth, ti's glowing. :D :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-13-2004, 04:34 PM
The very idea of painting without sketching is foreign to me, but you make it work wonderfully. I hope you don't "tone" it down, the glow is so warm.
Connie

lorna12
06-13-2004, 05:02 PM
You never disappoint, Deano....this is hot!! I love your color choices. In the first photo it looks like you weren't quite sure what you wanted but then you started enjoying it and really went to town on it and it has such joy and energy running through it!

regarding the pm: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2004/11613-Hand_1_thumb_up.giflooks perfect!

Precious Mazie
06-13-2004, 05:51 PM
I agree this looks like light is being emitted from the painting. I too could look at this again and again. Great Job! :clap:

Dark_Shades
06-13-2004, 06:14 PM
what a beautiful warm glow your paintings have..... I was also admiring the rose in your signature ...... did you do that :eek: ..... its gorgeous too :)

Deano
06-13-2004, 09:10 PM
Thank you for you generous words of support...much appreciated: Maureen, Joanna, and Connie. :)

Deano
06-13-2004, 09:19 PM
You never disappoint, Deano....this is hot!! I love your color choices. In the first photo it looks like you weren't quite sure what you wanted but then you started enjoying it and really went to town on it and it has such joy and energy running through it!

regarding the pm: http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2004/11613-Hand_1_thumb_up.giflooks perfect!
You have a very perceptive eye, Lorna. You are exactly right. In the first photo I was just trying to get something down to figure out an approach...in the second I had found some direction. I had a tough time getting the pixels anywhere near right for the rose...I'm very computer challenged, Lol.

Deano
06-13-2004, 09:22 PM
I agree this looks like light is being emitted from the painting. I too could look at this again and again. Great Job! :clap:
Thank you, Mazie. I appreciate your comments.

Deano
06-13-2004, 09:32 PM
what a beautiful warm glow your paintings have..... I was also admiring the rose in your signature ...... did you do that :eek: ..... its gorgeous too :)
Thank you, Shades. Yes, I did the rose for 6-5-04 WDE. It kinda turned into an unintentional WIP.
PS...I enjoyed your contribution this week. :)

geminidream
06-16-2004, 08:14 PM
:clap: great painting , it is so warm and inviting, very awesome
great work :clap: :clap:
geminidream :)

Deano
06-16-2004, 11:45 PM
Thank you, Gemini, for stopping to look and comment. :D