PDA

View Full Version : Old Sport Fishing Skipper.

prospector
06-12-2004, 07:50 PM
I spent 45 years as an fishing guide, big game sport fishing skipper, and marina owner on South Padre Island Texas. I am now retired in Arizona, chassing my other dream of prospecting fer gold. I did a few marine paintings back in the 70s & 80s and will post one every once in a while, if y'all dont mind. This is an acrylic on 300 lb watercolor paper.. This was the front of a Texas blue norther off Padre Island.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/43991-Running_befor_storm.jpg

Marty C
06-12-2004, 09:30 PM
Hi Prospector,
Welcome to the Marine Art Forum.
And what a way to start your posts! This is fabulous work, compositionally very good with the boat being chased in by the storm. The ocean is superb, colour, value, form, movement, it's all there in spades, and the storm front itself is just wonderful, many years of observation behind this one for sure.
More, more, more, please! :clap: :clap:

Diane Cutter
06-13-2004, 06:53 AM
This is a beautiful, emotional painting for anyone who has been on the edge of a storm. Thank you for sharing. It's wonderful. I look forward to more posts.

Diane

PS I wish we had a prospecting forum. My husband wants to hunt for gold.

prospector
06-13-2004, 07:47 PM
Dian, and Marty, thanks fer the kind re. The work I post here are from photos of the originals and dont repo to sharp, and I dont want to fiddle with them In paintshope pro 8. Just downsized em. I did this "Big Blue Hooked Up" at Walkers Key off the Bahamas. It is acrylic on 300 lb watercolor paper.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jun-2004/43991-Jun1302.JPG

Marty C
06-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi Prospector,
Another teriific piece. You really do have a way with getting the ocean to look just right. Love em both.

Tanilba
06-15-2004, 04:39 AM
Hi Prospector

Love your beautiful stormy sky, your painting is full of emotion, wonderful dark foreground.
REgards Glenda

Lopaka
06-15-2004, 11:52 AM
Hi Prospector,
You sure have captured the ocean movement, the boat action, as well as the storm and the fish. WOW !!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Bob.

prospector
06-15-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks Y'all. My art teacher in grade school back in the 30s; taught me if ya can paint water, and sky; ya can paint any thing. I got off the sea because of a severe iner ear problem from scuba diving, and it caused me to get sea sick. Not a good thing when the skipper starts puking before the passengers. :o

I am now retired in Arizona doing western art, and prospecting fer gold. Will do some more marine paintings just fer old times sake, and fer my love of the sea. Will post em when I finnish em.

Jack

2003maryann
06-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Hi: would love for you to show how you start doing the seascape. Do you draw the lines of the sea in, please show me how you did this painting. I never had a chance to go to art classes so if you could give me a step by step idea how you painted the sea and got it to look just right I would be so grateful. anxiously awaiting.This is in reference to the one with the fish. Hope you strike it rich!2003maryann

prospector
06-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Hi: would love for you to show how you start doing the seascape. Do you draw the lines of the sea in, please show me how you did this painting. I never had a chance to go to art classes so if you could give me a step by step idea how you painted the sea and got it to look just right I would be so grateful. anxiously awaiting.This is in reference to the one with the fish. Hope you strike it rich!2003maryann

maryann, It is not the hope of a strike, but the joy of the hunt that keeps me prospecting. The same with art. The best advice I can give ya for any kind of art; is to draw, draw, and draw some more. Work with pencil, or ink in yer drawing to get the values right. If ya have access to water take a sketch book, and study it with loose fast sketches, and after a few hundred drawings you will start understanding what you are seeing. No painting or color till yer mind understands the value of what you are seeing. After the light bulb goes off in yer mind and ya just have to paint, and use color start with three colors. You will find color to just adds emotion to the values of the subject..Draw, draw draw, and let me see yer work before I try to teach ya what took me 50 years of roaming the seas, and bays, and 70 years of drawing to learn..

prospector
06-15-2004, 03:24 PM
BTW, maryann; here is a pen & ink study I did of the marlin before I painted it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Jun-2004/43991-big_blue.jpg

SilverLady
06-19-2004, 12:28 PM
Prospector,

These are beautiful. I love the water. I love the fish, so very good.

Silverlady

VeldaJ
06-19-2004, 07:12 PM
These are fantastic paintings Prospector. They are obviously painted from a deep seated interest in and knowledge of your subject and you have captured every element to perfection. Please let us see much more of your work.

2003maryann
06-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Hi Prospector: Thank you I am trying to sketch somethumbnails of the water to show you. In the meantime if you can bring up storms at sea or my paintings under 2003maryann for the seacapes I have done like sky and water, on passage, ondine, and on the wind maybe you can help me with me seas. I am always very high in my waves and very dramatic I can't seem to go a normal wave seen like you did in the above painting. Your colors are so natural. I just arrived in trinidad and it took too long becausse of our genny ripping and the engine alternator belt breaking. Oh well, we have arrived.
Talk to you again soon, 2003maryann

prospector
06-21-2004, 09:00 PM
Thanks y'all fer the support, but ya gota remember I did the above 20 years ago when I was living on the water.

maryann, hope ya had a nice trip to Trinidad.When I was skippering that 70' sport fisherman we used to haunt Cozomel, Grand Cayman, and the virgins. Islands that is. It is hard not to exaggerate the sea when you are seeing it from the helm. Now that I'm land locked out here in the high desert of Arizona it is really hard to remember all the moods, and colors of the sea. I'm working on a marine painting now, and having a problem getting the colors and values right from a photo. Just aint the same as being there. Just keep on drawing, and painting maryann you will know when ya get it right. Painting is a lonely ordeal ya have to keep making all those adult decisions all by yerself. :p

prospector
06-21-2004, 09:09 PM
BTW, all here is the old skipper 20 years ago in his office.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jun-2004/43991-ap17005.jpg

Dirt Dude
06-21-2004, 11:24 PM
All of your paintings are fantastic. Makes you feel like you are "there". Gold is where you find it.

Howard

ripvanblair
06-22-2004, 03:41 AM
I like these paintings plenty to hold your interest, good colours------------well done---------Alan

2003maryann
06-24-2004, 01:08 PM
Hi Prospector:
Would have been a nice trip if the gennydidn't tear after the threesqualls we had and the engine did overheat and the alternator belt didn't break. But all in all it was an exciting and long time getting to Trinidad. Took 24 hours to get there, the longest time ever for us.
I just need to know how you put the colors on and show the slight ripple of the wave the way you do. I am drawing and drawing but what about the paint how do you apply it, dark first or light first, I use watercolors and acrylics ont he boat. If you can decribe your techinque on putting down the paint colors I am very interested. Thank you prospector I love the way ya say things. 2003maryann

prospector
06-30-2004, 01:01 AM
Howdy maryann,

As to how I paint sea scapes; I do a loose sketch on 300 lb cold press watercolor paper. Wet the whole paprer, and start with the sky very wet I work the color of the sky all the way to the bottom of the paper. That will be my light reflections of the sea. Let it dry, and start at the horizon with the darker wave action, but not as dark as the darkest part of the wave. Using the paint like watercolor at this stage. After I have the values of the sea like I want it I go in and scumble gesso for the sparkels, and foam highlights with no mixing of color. After it drys I glaze color over the gesso to make it brighter. I use Golden Fluid with a limited palette of anthraquinone blue, cerulean blue, Diaylide yellow, and quinacridone magenta. The reason I use gesso for my white; the Golden fluid titanium white does not cover very well.

I hope this helps ya understand my method of painting the sea.

Jack

MAKinnear
06-30-2004, 03:07 PM
Outstanding sea, very good work. Quite a tight palette - your usual or do you have other work in different key?

Very much like to see more

Mart

2003maryann
07-01-2004, 09:45 AM
Howdyto you Prospector:
I love yourpicture at the helm of your office. You look very natural.
Thank you so much for the tibits on how you lay on your paint. I will definetly try the gesso and see how it works. You have been a great help. Have a great day, 2003maryann

prospector
07-01-2004, 09:38 PM
Much thanks to y'all fer the support. Here is my latest effort at marine painting in a long time. It is of the 70' sport fisherman I last skippered It is acrylic on canvas. What do y'all think?

Jack

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jul-2004/43991-jy01005.jpg

Steven Reno
07-03-2004, 08:15 PM
Skipper

Your time on the water shows the understanding you have of your subject. Most paintings I see shows the ocean as a flatter, calmer 'nice' place. But having worked on fishing boats and ocean fished almost 50 years, you show the big movement of the swells I can feel when I view your paintings. Great work.

btw good advice on drawing,etc.

btw2 I did most of my fishing out of San Diego

Steve

2003maryann
07-05-2004, 11:24 AM
Prospector, you have such a delicate touch the water is so alive. I lovethis
painting and hope tolearn from it. 2003maryann

Rodger Walker
02-05-2005, 03:13 AM
Hi Prospector. Your paintings are beautiful. Do you paint acrylics on #300 watercolor paper all the time? Is it hot press, cold press and what bran is it? What does your palette have on it? Sorry for all the questions. But Iím learning watercolor and acrylics now and I have bunches of question for everyone. :) :confused: :D :wave:

Gillette
02-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Prospector
I just love your paintings, talk about drama and action , wow!!!! More please.
Jane

Rodger Walker
02-06-2005, 03:20 AM
Hi Prospector.

This is beautiful painting. Iíve spent a lot of time down in Padre Island. Beautiful place, a bit hot in the summer, but the winter makes up for it.
I was wondering if you could elaborate on the acrylics. I always like to see what you palette looks like and since Iím giving serious thought to changing from oils to acrylics. Do you have a favorite brand of acrylics? Comments? Opinions?

Keep up the fabulous work and thank you for sharing it with us.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

artteacher45
02-09-2005, 04:47 PM
Hello Prospector, These two are super. You have captured the movement of the sea and storm to perfection.A super job.

Artguy29
02-09-2005, 06:23 PM
What an old thread, but glad it was bumped up. Phenomenal work, Jack :clap: !

Dave

fasnacht
02-15-2005, 11:29 PM
Great paintings! That sure looks like a Bertram 31 off in the distance in the marlin hook-up picture...