PDA

View Full Version : WDE June 12 04 - Ran Out of Road WIP

theIsland
06-12-2004, 07:18 PM
Liquitex Medium Viscosity Acrylics on stretched Fredrix watercolor canavs, 12" x 9"
2 hours

This was an ambitious project for me to try in two hours, because drawing anything takes me way too long, and then I don't have time left to paint. But I couldn't resist this old car. There was a photographer doing the art fairs in California years ago who sold a lot of photos of Bodie. I'd swear there was one taken through the back window of this car. I always loved that photo, so I had to try this painting. This reference photo was beautifully composed, so it was a joy to work from. :)

Noma

Europa
06-12-2004, 07:21 PM
Stunning Noma - well done!!

Pat

lisilk
06-12-2004, 07:24 PM
I'd swear there was one taken through the back window of this car. :) Noma

No doubt Noma. There were two other people waiting to take pics of the old cars while they waited for me. LOL

I love this. Love the loose handling of the paint and the way you captured the light and look of the rust. Well done !

FriendCarol
06-12-2004, 07:28 PM
Love your brushwork on the car! And fine palette, too. :)

Celia
06-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Brilliant, Noma......... your rendition of the car is awesome......... I did a graphite drawing of a 1947 Hudson for my Dad a number of years ago......... he taught me how to drive in that car, and he loved the drawing.......... it was difficult to get all of the planes and angles right, so I applaud you...... :clap: :clap: :clap:

celia

Dark_Shades
06-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Excellent work..... and so fast too ..... car looks so solid.... love that, and the gleam on the back window ..... well done indeed :clap:

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2004, 07:59 PM
Liquitex Medium Viscosity Acrylics on stretched Fredrix watercolor canavs, 12" x 9"
2 hours

This was an ambitious project for me to try in two hours, because drawing anything takes me way too long, and then I don't have time left to paint. But I couldn't resist this old car. There was a photographer doing the art fairs in California years ago who sold a lot of photos of Bodie. I'd swear there was one taken through the back window of this car. I always loved that photo, so I had to try this painting. This reference photo was beautifully composed, so it was a joy to work from. :)

Noma

I'm a big fan of your work - the brushstrokes in this are amazing. I can't say enough of how much I love this painting. :clap:

sundiver
06-12-2004, 09:08 PM
Ahhh! That's what I invariably say when I open one of your images. Your colors are so vibrant, the brushstrokes so sure and confident but still free and open. Here's another winner!

Dyin
06-12-2004, 09:12 PM
ooooh, too bad I'm broke or I'd buy this one....I LOVE it!!!! You captured everything important and nothing else! Really, really like this one! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 09:21 PM
Noma, I love your painting of the old rusty car--jucy lively colors. I painted this car a few years in two different views. Yours is a super job! :clap:

Drumbeat-trish
06-12-2004, 09:31 PM
Terrific Noma - that old car looks like it's saying c'mon let me out there -I can make it :)

pjo
06-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Oh my, this just sings! I love the texture, brush strokes and the car is just right.

Deano
06-12-2004, 10:44 PM
What can I say? Except you did it again, Noma. Tremendous brush work and color. And your cool blues just absolutely rule. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

dabblerdot
06-13-2004, 12:34 AM
Noma, you painted the strokes on this car like you were running your hands over the contours of it- I LOVE it, that's incredible ! And then carrying on that same rich texture and bold strokes through the rest of it- too beautiful for me to find the right words ! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Another of your works that leaves me thinking "man, I wish I could do that !"

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 01:13 AM
Noma, this is absolutely exquisite :p

Exactly the look I was trying for but didn't accomplish. Guess one needs to use something different than WC to achieve it. You have done a great job of portraying the rusty old car but with the shininess that I wanted.

Really well done.

prestonsega
06-13-2004, 01:22 AM
I am most impressed by the patches of different color that selectively blend visually.....beautiful! :clap:

Mo.
06-13-2004, 08:21 AM
It's all been said before but have to add.....Stunning work!!! :clap: :clap:

Mo.

YYcat
06-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Yes, everything is said already. It's a beautiful painting. :clap: :clap:

cmwynn
06-13-2004, 05:04 PM
Very fluid colors. The whole painting is stunning.
Connie

Precious Mazie
06-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Everyone has captured this car so well and yet so differently! This is wonderfully done. :clap: :clap: