PDA

View Full Version : FIRST TIME: WDE 6/12 chairs

SweetBabyJ
06-12-2004, 06:43 PM
Okay, I am NOT fast- I work best slowly and methodically. But, in an effort to get more painterly, I'm trying "fast and loose" so as to learn to trust myself and the medium.

Normally, I'd've sketched this out a few times for comp, either gridded or made a very painstaking initial sketch by freehand, and then started applying pastel; instead, I gave it a quickie charcoal "this goes here and that goes there" and started in. Two hours, 3 minutes (I hadda get the chair shadows in) later, this is what I got. Not bad, but oh my! I'd like to try it again without the time constraint- this is a NICE comp! Thanks Lis!! Soft pastel on Art Spectrum- 9x12"-ish.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/9169-WDEchairs.jpg

lisilk
06-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Wow- Fantastic " start " - this would be a finish for me. LOL. Beautiful rich colors and shadows. Nice work SweetbabyJ ! Isn't it fun to race the clock ! LOL

Kathryn Wilson
06-12-2004, 06:54 PM
Wasn't this a fantastic painting to do tho' SBJ?? We both did the same - but look at the differences - that's what I call fun! Fast and loose - us pastelers. :D

pjo
06-12-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm glad you decided to join us. Isn't it great to push ourselves. I really like the light you have achieved in this one.

Europa
06-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Wonderful - you should try fast and loose more often J.

Pat

SweetBabyJ
06-12-2004, 07:20 PM
It was great fun, Kat- and I think yours is much more accomplished- you've learned how to do these things without nit-picking. I may do it again, though- only REALLY BIG- and pick up the shadowy dustiness to contrast with that bright light.

Thanks, Y'all- now I gotta go make dinner with dark gray dusty fingers... hungry anyone???

Dark_Shades
06-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi SBJ..... My First time too :D ..... I like this alot.... love the light play ... will look forward to seeing more of this..... and the bigger one too ..... good for you for working fast ..... well done indeed

theIsland
06-12-2004, 07:46 PM
I love the glow of the light in this one! And the door is very Van Gogh-ish. Actually, so are the chairs. The green makes a great foil for those glowing chairs. Wonderful work!

Noma

sundiver
06-12-2004, 08:57 PM
I loved this image, too. My favorite part of the image, and also of your painting, is that sundrenched floor.
Welcome to the WDEs. Gets the old alrenaline going trying to capture all in two hours, doesn't it? ;)

Dyin
06-12-2004, 09:00 PM
ha....what a surprise!!! You GO, girl....I think this is great, knowing how methodical you are. It takes awhile to get the hang, but you got more done your first time than I did in weeks :p I love your chairs! Hope you'll keep doing these WDEs, because they really do help...what's for dinner? :D

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Hi There, welcome boy the soft pastel must have been flying cause this is beautiful. You captured such a wonderful interior glow and could certainly be called finished. Super job!

Drumbeat-trish
06-12-2004, 10:22 PM
SBJ you did great on this -fast and loose suits you :D gotta love that sun-drenched floor !!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

morendo
06-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I like the sunlight effect you have on the chair and table. It feels like it would be warm in that room.

Deano
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the WDE, SBJ! Tremendous job! Working fast suits you well, it seems. Love the effect of light that you've achieved and great drawing, to boot. :clap: :clap:

SweetBabyJ
06-12-2004, 11:14 PM
lol- I dunno about "working fast" suiting me, but I can see it'll gain me trust in the medium. Need to learn to *draw* quickly AND accurately- rather than accurately and slowly. Best part for me was, I didn't mind changing the comp around, and if I do it again, I am thinking of adding a braided rug to that floor- about 1/8th of it sunlit... we'll see.

Thanks again, Y'all- it was a fun experience.

prestonsega
06-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Okay, I am NOT fast- I work best slowly and methodically....

That, my dear is a matter of opinion,....and not necessarily a valid one! :p
I eyed this one too, but the details of the chairs scared me off....but not you!!! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!...this really is a great!! It's your painting and you say you want to add a rug....hmmmm....I know if I say I disagree, you'll do it, and vice versa, so I'll leave you with my favorite saying.."if it ain't broke, don't fix it!!! :clap: :clap:

(and what the heck would ghosts do with a rug anyway, wipe their invisible feet???)

SweetBabyJ
06-13-2004, 12:16 AM
Yes, but Preston- it really needs an old rag-braided rug right there in the foreground. Trust me- I play an interior decorator on WDE....

Thanks- I'm nearly almost pleased.

prestonsega
06-13-2004, 12:41 AM
.... but Preston- it really needs an old rag-braided rug right there in the foreground.

OK, ok, go ahead and play the Martha Stewart of WC, just stay out of the ghost town jail! lol

hopefulbucky
06-13-2004, 01:16 AM
SBJ, very well done. Isn't it fun to just let loose and go for it? You did a superb job for such a difficult composition, lots of drawing. Love the colors you used. Very successful.

Mo.
06-13-2004, 08:32 AM
WOW!! Julie, Hats off to you girl, this is brill, your first time and out of your box so to speak, what a cracker of a painting. Now did you enjoy and have fun? :clap: :clap:

Mo.

artbyjune
06-13-2004, 12:40 PM
Love the golden glow of sunlight on table and floor. Rich and solid looking furniture too. :)

SweetBabyJ
06-13-2004, 03:38 PM
Thank you, All- I've laid it out big on a full sheet of LaCarte (the Wallis pad is smaller), cropped it a tad, and worked the angles better. Added the rug (it echoes the curves in the chair backs, see?) and am just starting to add darks in the proper temps as an underpainting. Be nice to pull it off- I can see it in my mind's eye.

lisilk
06-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Thank you, All- I've laid it out big on a full sheet of LaCarte (the Wallis pad is smaller), cropped it a tad, and worked the angles better. Added the rug (it echoes the curves in the chair backs, see?) and am just starting to add darks in the proper temps as an underpainting. Be nice to pull it off- I can see it in my mind's eye.

Be sure to show us the new painting too ! Your work is so lovely, don't keep it to yourself.

Charlie's Mum
06-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Like the light on chairs and table - the painting has an old, 'museum' look - good colour! :)

cmwynn
06-13-2004, 04:55 PM
The light makes this glow. You do learn something working fast and the result here is already good. Hope to see the bigger (slower?) one.
Connie

Precious Mazie
06-13-2004, 06:06 PM
I'm with you, I do allot of sketches and would grid a drawing before I even get started. But I like the feel of this, it has that abandoned feel, something I don't think would come across with all the pre planing. I like WDE's for its time constraints because it is so different to how I normally work. Looks to me like you can work either way and come out with a picture to be proud of! :clap:

prestonsega
06-18-2004, 12:29 PM
ATTENTION SHOPPERS This painting has been sold to me, (I'm hoping its in the mail already), so don't even think about underbidding me :evil: !!! Thanks Julie

geminidream
06-18-2004, 04:02 PM
welcome to wde :D I really like the way you have the sun in that room hitting the table and the floor it makes the table look so warm and inviting
very nice job... it would be nice to have more time but yet the time i think helps push us to our limits and we sure have some nice out comes because of it..... great job on your painting :clap: :clap:
geminidream :)

SweetBabyJ
06-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Bet you get it same day as your new Dell, Preston.

Thanks y'all- it was surely fun.