PDA

View Full Version : WDE- June 12- Images Here !!!

lisilk
06-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Good Morning, Afternoon and Evening and Welcome to The WEEKEND DRAWING EVENT for June 12, 2004. Thank you for joining me. ( Note- I am having extreme computer problems so I am starting this a little early just incase the screen goes black...again. ) The event officially starts at 4 p.m. EST.

The usual rules apply:

1. You have a 1/2 hour to decide on an image and ready your materials. You can work in any medium: drawing, painting, pastel, sculpture, it's up to you.

2. Spend two hours on your piece then post your result. Remember, you don't have to complete a picture, just post as far as you have gotten.

3. Post your 2 hr. result in individual threads with " WDE June 12 ( 06/ 12) " in the title.

4. Please take the time to comment on other's efforts as well because we all like feedback.

5. This is a WEEKEND event. If you can't play today, come back later and give it a try tomorrow. Images will be here all week.

6. Have fun and THANK YOU for participating around the world !

7. PLEASE DO NOT COMMENT ON THIS THREAD UNTIL ALL THE PICTURE ARE LOADED. I WILL POST WHICH IS THE LAST UPLOAD.

Today you will take a tour of Eastern California. No cool ocean beaches here. This is high desert, dry desolate landscapes and there's gold in them thar' hills ! Your first stop will be the ghost town of Bodie.

Bodie was named after Waterman ( William ) S. Body, who discovered gold near the California- Nevada border in 1859. The change in spelling of the town's name is attributed to an illiterate sign painter. The town came to prominence with the decline of mining along the western slope of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Prospectors crossing the eastern slope of the mountains in 1859 to " see the elephant " - that is, to search for gold- discovered what was to become the Comstock Lode at Virginia City and started a wild rush to the surrounding high desert country.

By 1879, Bodie boasted a population boom in one year from a mere 20 people to over ten thousand and was second to none for wickedness, badmen and " the worst climate in all of the out doors." One little girl, who's family was moving her to the remote and infamous town, wrote in her diary : " Goodbye God, I'm going to Bodie !" Famous for it's robberies and street fights, the town offered 65 salloons and twice as many " house's off ill repute. "

The town burned down twice during it's hayday and mining finally came to an end in the 1940's. That would have been the end to the town and it would have disappeared if not for Waterman Bodie's granddaughter. She bought the town and in 1962 gifted it to the state to become a historic park. It is kept now in a state of "controlled decay" with some building left open during the day to keep collecting dust and wear as nature would have it, although all photographs I've taken of interiors were taken through fencing wide enough to fit my camera through. There are approximately 200 buildings still standing, just 5 % of the original town. Unfortunately, I had to fight dark clouds all day but I hope you find something you like.

1.) Standard Mine Mill
2.) Lower town view.
3.) Bodie Church
4.) Bodie Hotel
5.) Inside church

lisilk
06-12-2004, 03:33 PM
6.) Abandoned bedroom.
7.) Old car
8.) " Cat" house
9.) A kitchen left behind
10.) The original fire truck.

lisilk
06-12-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm SOOOO sorry . My computer is being a bear !

Here we go again with more to come.

11.) Gas at 2 cents a gallon.
12.) Mine cabin
13.) Saloon
14.) View of White Mtns from Sierra's
15.) Dry creek bed.

lisilk
06-12-2004, 04:00 PM
After ore was collected, it was sent by mule to Mono Lake where it was loaded onto trains ( that no longer exist. ) Mono Lake was formed by glaciers and volcano's. It is a salt lake many thousand's of year's old. The unusual " tufa" formations were formed when granite was pushed up by an underwater volcano. Once the granite settled, salted built up leaving these sculptures all along the shore. In coming water was diverted in the last century exposing these formations and endangering the local wildlife. recent years have seen the water diverted back into the lake with most of the tufa now submerged again.
Next we'll cool off at Convict Lake before heading up into the Inyo White Mountains.

16.) Avocetes on Mono Lake
17.) Resting gull
18.) Tufa formations and reflections
19.) Pathway at Convict lake
20.) Moored boats

lisilk
06-12-2004, 04:12 PM
These photo's of the ancient Bristle Cone Pine were taken at 10- 11,000 ft. Standing as ancient sentinels, the Great basin Bristlecone Pines rank as the oldest living trees in the world. There are many trees in this forest that exceed 4,000 years of age, and are still growing. ( My legs are still screaming from the hiking ! )

21.) Dead bristlecone pine
22.) Thriving bristlecone.
23.) Refuge at sisters house
24.) Sunrise on Bristlecones.
25.) Sunrise over Last Chance Range.

One more. Thanks for being patient !!!!!

Europa
06-12-2004, 04:20 PM
Li - some fabulous photos - have picked the one I want but have snagged a few for later too....lol.

Thanks for hosting.

Pat

lisilk
06-12-2004, 04:24 PM
For people who need people...

26.) Kaleigh on her 3rd bday
27. Thank goodness winter is gone !
28.) musician from trip to Bali
29.) Festival in Bali
30. Kiki in her garden

Should have called this the SLOWEST WDE in history. We're done.

HAVE FUN !

Shelley Grund
06-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Beautiful selection! Many to choose from - a variety of subjects. THANK YOU!

theIsland
06-12-2004, 04:56 PM
Oh, you're making it tough to choose! These are gorgeous. There are several here I would love to do! Having been to Bodie and Mono Lake myself makes it even more fun. Thank you for the great selection.

Off to do a tough bit of drawing, then paint...

Noma

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 05:02 PM
:D Hi Li, what a thrill to see Bodie! :clap:
I have some of the same pictures I have a lot of the cemetery also. We've been into Bodie every season except deep winter. The first time we went into Bodie it was 17 miles of gravel ruts--now of course it's all paved. I have painted several scenes including I believe the same old rusty car and even an older one I think it's a model T. We love Bodie and always marvel at how the people managed to live in such a harse setting. Just shows you how resiliant the human will and spirit is...
Will have to join in later as we are expecting company. Sorry to hear your monitor is acting up. Went thru the same thing had to buy a new one. ouch!

lisilk
06-12-2004, 05:29 PM
Thank you Pat and Shelly. I had a blast this week travelling the Sierra's and camping out for these shots. Glad you liked them.

Noma and Kathleen- well geez ! If I'd have known you all had already been here I would've taken pictures of my garage ! LOL.

Noma- It was hard to follow your gorgeous photo's last week.

Kathleen- 2 years ago a friend and I cross- country skied into Bodie in the dead of winter. It was BEAUTIFUL and achingly cold ! Dave and his pal picked us up on snow mobiles later in the day. ( Thank Goodness for Yamaha ! )

I get too stressed out uploading on my dinosaur computer. I'm going to work on mine tonight !

pjo
06-12-2004, 10:36 PM
These are wonderful photos, I printed off 4 to choose from. Thanks for taking and making the time to share with us all.

MKathleen
06-12-2004, 10:48 PM
Noma you've been to Bodie too!

Li, wow I'm impressed dead of winter in Bodie cross country skied. Where did you start from the highway or further? Man Bodie can have some cruel winter blizzards. When we have gone to Bodie we stay in Bridgeport at a little motel just on the outside of town. Neat place! There was a cute little cafe as you go out of town (across from the motel) on the right hand side great breakfast. Course it's been lets see about 3 years since last there.
Wow cross country dead of winter what a woman! :D

lisilk
06-13-2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks PJ, glad you liked them. looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Noma you've been to Bodie too!

Li, wow I'm impressed dead of winter in Bodie cross country skied. Where did you start from the highway or further? Man Bodie can have some cruel winter blizzards. When we have gone to Bodie we stay in Bridgeport at a little motel just on the outside of town. Neat place! There was a cute little cafe as you go out of town (across from the motel) on the right hand side great breakfast. Course it's been lets see about 3 years since last there.
Wow cross country dead of winter what a woman! :D

Yea Kathleen, I'm buff chic ! ROFLOL. Not ! Actually I used to work in the backcountry ( 7 years ) so my skills are pretty good as are my friend's. We didn't take the road you take. There is another south, a turn just after Mono Lake. It's a dirt road. That winter was mild so we drove in quite a way, probably only skied about 7 miles or so ( and knowing me, I whined the entire time. LOL.)

I know that motel and restaurant you are talking about. I like that little place. Next time you come, we should get together.

YYcat
06-13-2004, 04:21 AM
The pictures are wonderful, It's a trip through US for me, every time. But with your history with it makes it even more interesting. :D It became to late for me to participate Saturday evening. It's 10 pm or later here in Holland, but I will start now. Thank you for the photo's. :clap: :clap: