PDA

View Full Version : do be honest

Ceu
09-24-2001, 10:31 PM
I like this work a lot but like most my ideas they are still on progress mode. So this one I think it's too busy and not , if you know what I mean, at the same time I don't know how to tame it.
anyone please give your ideas , thanks:)

Katie Miller
09-24-2001, 11:42 PM
I don't think it's too busy-in fact i think the busyness works well with it, and adds to the feeling of the piece. i get the sense that the girl is lost and trying to hide from something. i think it is quite strong. if you thik it needs more variety, you may want to think about adding a few small touches of the orange tones into the hair, nothing eye-catching, just to bring the whole piece together.

Katie

rsmak
09-24-2001, 11:58 PM
ceu, I love it.

it looks like a globe, it is just perfect.

rosanna

Ceu
09-25-2001, 12:01 AM
do you mean like the touches of orange that I have started in it already, but make it more ?

Ceu
09-25-2001, 12:14 AM
thanks rosanna, and where is you new tinyhead ? it was great with so much color, not that I don't like this one balck and and white:)

rsmak
09-25-2001, 12:57 AM
ceu,

I think that is too extraordinary,i try to get another one.

thanks.

ArtyHelen
09-25-2001, 06:13 AM
Wow, I think this is wonderful, Ceu! I don't think it needs taming at all, it's just right!

Helen

Jan-Michael
09-25-2001, 08:54 AM
I like it not sure about too busy.... still thinking about that :)

giniaad
09-25-2001, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by rsmak
ceu, I love it.

it looks like a globe, it is just perfect.

rosanna

Ceu...
I saw the globe also...
not too busy...
maybe it is not to be tamed...

the only thing I can suggest...
is to get to what you are feeling when you work on this piece
and make sure it comes out on the canvas...

ginia

Impulse
09-25-2001, 09:53 AM
the theme and the charm of this piece
is the world of complexity through which
the simpler beautiful face is barely spied
it's fine for the busy world to be busy
i particularly like what you're doing with
the raised black (medium?)

terrific work -- gallery worthy

jerryW
09-25-2001, 10:07 AM
the sections are nice, the stringy ness detracts
I don't know why you let lines get into you art to this degree.
well to fix it:
break up their tyrrany.
connect color areas that have been separated by the lines directly in places by reconnecting those colors judiciously.
it can start as a game, the re-unification of the painting.

good luck

jheinrich
09-25-2001, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
the sections are nice, the stringy ness detracts
I don't know why you let lines get into you art to this degree.
well to fix it:
break up their tyrrany.

stylization can obviously take a person very far, and so I'm often hesitant to make suggestions when it is apparent a person is more after a 'style' than after becoming superior in many areas.

I agree with jerry, personally. The overuse of lines in your work always leaves me wanting more paint and shape and form and color vibrancy.

If you like it so much, though, nothing anyone else says will make a difference.

jeanette*

diphascon
09-25-2001, 12:28 PM
Not too busy for me.

See the globe as well.

The lines are ok for me, except for the upper left, where they dominate a bit strong.

keep on

martin

ZOTMA
09-25-2001, 02:13 PM
Leave this be
I really like it the way it is
If the graphic is unresolved, go for another piece, try again, do something different, start a series, it's all good

and thanks for the painting on my b-day thread, that was cool.

cagathoc
09-25-2001, 02:22 PM
I like it a lot.

Personally, I like linear elements in artwork. I am not convinced of the "superiority" of color areas.

The more linear work does lean towards decorative in a way but it also has an elegance that cannot be duplicated by color forms alone.

It's good to be able to do both and choose.

JeanineJ
09-25-2001, 03:54 PM
I feel like my mother - wanting to push the hair back to see more of her beautiful face! LOL... Without a comb, my next suggestion regards the huge dark areas: I think they could do with some pattern of bright color or at least lowlights - with or without lines...

Ceu
09-26-2001, 12:08 AM
wow, for now on I have to stop being busy working and read this messages.LOL
start with Jerry: Lines I don't know that either Jerry, I have this thing with them that either one of this days I have to accept them or stop using them.
I haven't started fixing or changing this piece wich is ink. If and I know me I will do something I will do the same but use acrylics and just do a whole new painting from that.
Jeanine, I think maybe that is what bothers me when I say it's too busy, I need that comb, thank you to all for the great ideas.
As is now I think I will just do a new one and not touch this one, leave it alone right, I do like it .:)

jerryW
09-26-2001, 06:55 AM
the abuse of line only occurs when you forget that a line is a color area too. use freely like crescents triangles rects polygons etc. but try not to tangle up in them unless they are truly becoming subunits like Pollack(or Nathan Reed who does it amazingly well) then you build with tangle as the basic materielle.

dollardays
09-26-2001, 09:04 AM
Hi Ceu,

I like this as it is. The lines don't seem to detract from the face, which is beautiful, BTW, so I would keep it as it is! :) Nora

JeanineJ
09-26-2001, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by jerryW
the abuse of line only occurs when you forget that a line is a color area too. use freely like crescents triangles rects polygons etc. but try not to tangle up in them unless they are truly becoming subunits like Pollack(or Nathan Reed who does it amazingly well) then you build with tangle as the basic materielle.

Brilliant analysis! I have learned today...