PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Partners! Try this at home!

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 12:12 AM
Warning: Try this at home!

Hi! JCoop (Joel) and I started a portrait swap and I think itís the most fun I have ever had painting. We each e-mailed pictures of ourselves to each other and then ready, set, go....we were off painting! As you know I am new to WC so I took on painting a virtual stranger which was a change of pace and painting another artist sure made me nervous. At the start of this I didnít know Joel very well but after many hours of painting him I think not only would I recognize him on the street, but I think I could maybe even paint him from memory. Thankfully, I had a lot to work with (you just never know what you are going to get).
I havenít seen his painting of me and he hasnít seen my painting(s) of him. We agreed to post our paintings at the same time. We did send tiny little thumbnails of a few sections as teasers, but other than that the poor guy is either going to like these or become my painting stalker. The e-mails he has been sending me are hilarious. The guy has the best sense of humor. He has really made this so much fun for me. To top it all off, I have NEVER had a portrait painted of me so that will be interesting to say the least. Not even a self-portrait. I am holding my breath. I know Joel is a great artist, but I also know the subject in this case and well, thereís only so much artistic plastic surgery one can do. I asked him to make me look like Farrah Fawcett in that old 70ís poster. Did he do it? I donít know yet. Iíll see it when you all see it.
I am in charge of posting all photos and artwork. Below you will find Joelís painting and a close-up.
I am posting the 2 painted versions I came up with. I liked the brick in the original photo so I rearranged it for the first painting. After looking at Joelís picture for a while, I had the thought for the second painting. Now, now, I wasnít thinking something lewd. I thought his photo looked like he was! I couldnít help but post it also. My other option was to put him in a Gap ad. Maybe next time. For the second one, I recommend clicking on the link for the higher quality PNG file though it is a larger file. The JPEG was so pixelly it annoyed me. Youíll see what I mean.
These were done in Painter for the most part. I used PS for gaussian blur in the background of the one with brick. I didnít re-paint Joel for the second painting, I just painted the new background. Oh the wonders of digital.
The portraits took me more time than any other portraits. I know I have over 20 hours in them mostly because I wanted to do my best not to insult my new friend (especially when he has my face in his hands).
The experience was WELL worth it and I highly recommend finding a WC friend and doing the same. I would love to see the results and so would JCoop. It was a blast!
Hope you like US.
Thanks, Joel. So far you are my favorite subject.

P.S. Please read below to learn about the process Joel went through for his painting and any other comments he might have.

Lisa

From JCoop:

Iíd like to thank Lisa (peoplepainter) for making this project such a incredibly fun and very worthwhile exercise. I canít say enough about how beautiful, smart, hilarious and down-to-earth she is. Iím sure if youíve been paying attention to this board since she arrived here at WC!, you already have more than a hint of what I mean.

When I received Lisaís photo in my email, I immediately dropped everything to start figuring out how to do justice to such a beautiful woman. I immediately knew I had to abandon my loose style so that I could attempt to render her features to the degree of detail that they deserved. I have to admit, she is very easy on the eyes.

One thing that struck me about her photo was how even the lighting wasÖ It was a beautiful portrait, but I knew I would have to work a bit to tease out some of the facial contours. I canít tell you how much fun I had doing so! It was fun from start to finish!

If anyone has seen Lisaís work on her website and her posts here at WC!, you know what an accomplished artist she is. I had know doubt that she would paint my portrait to her usual highly accomplished flawless level. I felt like I needed to apologize to her in advance in the event that my portrait of her didnít actually make the grade.

As Lisa said, neither one of us have seen the others portrait until this post. We wanted to share the moment with our WC! Family. We also got a big rush from the suspense of it all!

Lisa, thanks again!

This portrait was painted in Corel Painter8Ö

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/43849-lisa_ober_ref.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/43849-Jcoopphoto.jpg
Source Photos (above)
Full versions (below)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/43849-lisa_ober_norm.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/43849-Jbrick.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/43849-lisa_ober_close.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/43849-Jcoopbrickdetail.jpg
Details (above)
Joel with a different background (below) ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Jun-2004/43849-Jroom.jpg Click here to see a clearer version of this one: Clearer PNG version (http://oberfinearts.com/WC/Joelroom.png)

Michael
06-12-2004, 12:30 AM
What a fabulous pair of paintings...I would say more...but lisa think I am funny :D

I have been thinking about starting a "Who Are You People?" thread here like I did over at the Asylum...now that I see this I am pretty convinced...what do y'all think?

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 12:31 AM
You are all going to think I am the biggest sap. This is the first time I have seen my portrait from Joel and it made me cry. Hold on...not because I don't like it but because I LOVE IT! Oh, Joel, I have never had my portrait painted. Now I know how all my clients feel when they are about to see their portraits. It's so nerve-wrecking. HUGE sigh of relief. I don't really know what to say but here are a few thoughts:
1. You are incredible. Incredible. The whole style is so cool and so you!
2. It really looks like me! I live! (tears again)
3. Your use of color is so tremendous my mouth is on the ground. I can't believe how cheery and colorful you were able to make it from that snapshot!
4. It's not exactly Farrah Fawcett but darn flattering.
5. Love the signature Joel brush strokes.
6. Background is so awesome. Love the hint of a window. Nice touch.
7. You gave my eyes more life too! Thanks!

Hope I don't sound like I love myself, but I love this portrait. The cool thing about it is how different our styles are. I could never do what you do. I don't have the sense of color you have.

Thank you so much. What a blast this has been!

Lisa, the happy portrait recipient

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 12:32 AM
Red, you are funny. Start that thread and I'll prove it.

Michael
06-12-2004, 12:34 AM
ummm...Okie Dokie :evil:

LadyAlba
06-12-2004, 01:56 AM
Two fantastic pieces of Art from two fantastic artists!!! I can't think of words to express the beauty of both of these!! I hope to someday have just a fraction of your artistic ability. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Jet
06-12-2004, 03:16 AM
....... WOW !
-----DROOLERS ALERT !!---

:clap: that's a Duel of Champions :clap:

Regards
:cool:
....if only i could get these 2 guys singing together i'd make a ton, in no time !!.... :D

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 03:17 AM
Lady Alba, I am going to thank you so much for both of us since Joel is blowing Zzzzzzz's and won't see this until the morning. Can you believe he's sleeping at a time like this? ;)
Lisa

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 03:19 AM
Jet, you softy. Thanks so much. I know we both tried really hard on these paintings.
BTW, I can whistle a tune like a man but the singing thing will have to wait until the afterlife. Don't know about Joel but he looks like he can sing...whatever that means.

Lisa

Cronious
06-12-2004, 05:29 AM
Lisa and Joel,

These are tottallyAwesome :clap:

Nothing to add, just hoping that one day I will beable to produce works like these, WOW :D

lemonbird
06-12-2004, 08:23 AM
Wow! :clap: You both are extremely talented. :) Great job!

justjean
06-12-2004, 09:30 AM
What can one say other than WOW you both have done marvelous jobs in two completley different styles, A joy to look at, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:

JCoop
06-12-2004, 10:30 AM
I just saw Lisa's painting of me for the first time and I'm completely blown away! I feel like I can die now and yet I've been immortalized! Lisa, I knew I was gonna like the portrait, but I too, love it! Your talent is off the charts!!! If you had charged me for the painting, I would have paid a kings ransom! You've made me look so cool! I'll try to compose my thoughts, but I really am speechless.

Both backgrounds are awsome! I feel like I've cheated you, 'cause I've gotten two portraits out of the deal. The brick wall is a stunner and the other background is straight out of the movies! The shading is teriffic and the atmosphere you've created is to die for!

It is cool that our styles are so different.

Thank you Lisa!!! I'm so relieved that you like the portrait I did of you. I can't stop smiling. :D You're the best!

I encourage everyone to pair up with another member and try this exercise. You'll never have so much fun painting!

Andrew Rance
06-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Two magnificent portraits of two handsome people!

themanda
06-12-2004, 12:36 PM
these are amazing!!!! lisa, you are beautiful, but joel...you're quite the hunk. ;)

thank you both so much for sharing this exercise with us. i feel honored, not only to witness such diverse--yet equal--talent, but to also be able to put faces to these names. thanks!

Michael
06-12-2004, 01:51 PM
These really are amazing pieces of art. Lisa looks showered here too, call me strange...But I would have never called joel a hunk.

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Thanks all. Themanda, he is a hunk isn't he? I had no idea. Imagine getting that photo in your e-mail after a long day!

Red, that's okay if he isn't your type. I don't think he'll hold it against you.

JCOOP! I am so relieved! Nothing about me felt cheated. Nothing. I wouldn't trade mine for the world.
That sure was a lot of fun!
Lisa

nytefall
06-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Wow! these are beautiful!! :)

peoplepainter
06-12-2004, 11:32 PM
Speaking for myself only, I had a good subject to paint!
Thanks for looking, Nytefal.

Lisa

Chiers
06-13-2004, 12:06 AM
Two beautiful people....two beautiful paintings! :clap: :clap: :clap:

And yes,... Joel....you are a hunk young man. I can get away with that cause I'm a granny. hee hee

peoplepainter
06-13-2004, 01:06 AM
Granny's have all the fun...

fugitive
08-11-2004, 06:02 PM
I bet this was fun, and some good works came out of it too. I'm leaning towards the new lady.

peoplepainter
08-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks, Fugitive! This was a blast. I think everyone should partner up and try it! It's also a good way to get to know your WC friends.

Lisa

acyaws
08-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Excellent work you two! I am amazed at ya'lls talent! Oh I can't wait till chemo is over so I can sit down on the PC for hours again to play!

You two are great! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Angela [aka:acyaws]

kbilltv
08-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Barf!

fugitive
08-13-2004, 01:11 AM
You ill, need a Dr. or an enima?

peoplepainter
08-13-2004, 01:12 AM
LOL! LOL!! Good one, Fugitive! LOL

thepenartist
08-14-2004, 05:02 PM
It's amazing how one can become a fan of other WC!'s. My two favs - Lisa and Joel. You both do such wonders with portraits. Two distinct styles, each very flattering! Lisa - how 'bout more step by step tutorials? Would love to see more. Have someone film you with a recorder, download it to your computer, burn to a cd and sell.... I'd buy.

thepenartist
08-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Wouldn't mind having a tutorial on cd of JCoop's style, too. Think about it.

-pen

peoplepainter
08-16-2004, 01:06 AM
Thepenartist,

I also have swamp land for sale while I have your attention! LOL. Actually, I would love to see Jcoop in process too!
If I remeber to save in process I will happily post more for you.

Thanks,
Lisa