PDA

View Full Version : New Mexico, here I come!

Artistammy
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
I talked my husband into taking our vacation at the same time as the Expo! He's already changed it at work. We'll be close to Tres Ritos, NM until the end when we'll hop over to the Expo. This will be the first art trip for me of any kind. I'm excited! I'll get to the Expo Fri morning, spend the night & most of Sat before we head back to the cabin to pack up. I'll actually get to meet some of you!! And shop! There are very few pastel supplies here & I hate to pay S/H. I just went to the store today looking for two shades of burgundy for a damask cloth & couldn't find what I wanted in any of the 4 brands they have. Do the manufacturers carry a large range of stock to the Expo? I hope they bring every tint & color they ever thought of. (And hope that Hubby doesn't follow me around with a calculator) lol

Do you think any of you will go out to paint together? I don't even know how much time it will take to look at everything.

K Taylor-Green
06-11-2004, 08:17 PM
Tammy, That is just great!!! I wish I could go, just can't swing it this year. I am so greeeeen at all you guys getting together like this.

CarlyHardy
06-11-2004, 08:38 PM
Tammy,
be sure to look up Terry Ludwig...he should be there with his pastels :) Tell him you're a friend of Carly's!!

....and have a wonderful time! Take lots of pics!! and take along a canvas bag to pick up lots of samples in! I find that the plastic bags don't hold enough :D
carly

binkie
06-11-2004, 10:35 PM
Oh Tammy, how exciting! Wish I could go too.

gwen

Deborah Secor
06-11-2004, 10:37 PM
Great Tammy! We're meeting at Kitty's booth at noon. It will be a WC convention there... We need to find that thread and bring it back up soon, where we planned a bunch of stuff and took a sort of head count.

I don't know if folks will paint together. I suspect we'll mostly TALK and SHOP! I know at past Expos the tables have groaned with pastels--and I agree with Carly, look for Terry Ludwig's booth! I need a lot more of his pastels.

Wish everyone could come....

Deborah

Khadres
06-12-2004, 01:00 AM
So glad you're getting to come, too, Tammy! Should be a blast! I'm looking forward to meeting everybody too. We can goad one another into buying more stuff, at the very least! :evil: Would be nice to paint together, but I don't know when who's doing what, so we'll have to see about that... I'm bringing my stuff anyway since I'm takin' a workshop. We may be too busy drooling all over Ludwig's pastels and Maggie's demos and Kitty's paper to fit in any real painting, but hey....will be fun anyway!

Deb, you and Kitty will have to tell us where all the best Mexican food is!

Deborah Secor
06-12-2004, 01:11 AM
Well, for good Mexican food head south... but for good NEW Mexican food, we can talk! We get kinda high-hatted about that here--sorry, just thought you should know. The question you'll need to answer is: red or green? This has nothing to do with stop signals or complements, it's chile (notice the spelling, with an E. This is not chili, with an I.) We're talking some of the most scrumptious food on the whole planet, ranking with blueberries fresh from the field, lasagna hot from the oven, and Ben and Jerry's finest--or any other wonderful treat you can name! I am not talking hot, burn your mouth out, chile, though you can get that if you want, but smooooooooth heat that melts in your mouth and warms your smile. We'll talk.... ;)

Deborah

Kitty Wallis
06-12-2004, 01:14 AM
Well, for good Mexican food head south... but for good NEW Mexican food, we can talk! We get kinda high-hatted about that here--sorry, just thought you should know. The question you'll need to answer is: red or green? This has nothing to do with stop signals or complements, it's chile (notice the spelling, with an E. This is not chili, with an I.) We're talking some of the most scrumptious food on the whole planet, ranking with blueberries fresh from the field, lasagna hot from the oven, and Ben and Jerry's finest--or any other wonderful treat you can name! I am not talking hot, burn your mouth out, chile, though you can get that if you want, but smooooooooth heat that melts in your mouth and warms your smile. We'll talk.... ;)

Deborah

Just so you know, this NM green chile Deborah speaks about so hospitably is addicting. It's the real reason I attend these santa Fe shows. Breakfast at Tecolote Yummmmmmmmmmmmm

Paula Ford
06-12-2004, 02:59 AM
We'll see you there Tammy...I'm counting down the days!!!!

Paula

Khadres
06-12-2004, 03:11 AM
Just so you know, this NM green chile Deborah speaks about so hospitably is addicting. It's the real reason I attend these santa Fe shows. Breakfast at Tecolote Yummmmmmmmmmmmm

This isn't that yuppie stuff with corn kernels in everything and blue tortillas, is it? LOL I may be really hunting Texmex...I'd just dearly love some REAL enchiladas. We accidentally found a place in Yuma AZ once...it would almost be worth the trip just to have those enchiladas again! On the other hand, my daughter makes a scrumptious green chile stew, too. There is just something WRONG about blue tortillas, tho....

Deborah Secor
06-12-2004, 11:39 AM
No way, Sooz. Oh, you can get Santa Fe Cuisine, where they mix all sorts of things in, and sometimes that's fun, but when I want FOOD I go for the real New Mexican stuff. I have a container of red chile and one of green in my fridge right now, I'm that addicted.

By October, when the new crop comes in, the aroma of fresh roasting chiles is everywhere. My two favorite scents: roasting chile and burning pinon. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Funny, when I go to SF I rarely eat in restaurants. Since it's an hour from home, I drive in, drop work at the gallery, drive home. I stop at the gas station and grab a homemade burrito, stick it in the microwave and flash it, grab an iced tea and eat over my lap as I drive... yum! I get beef and red chile. If you get there too late they're gone--the construction workers get them all! The gal who makes them doesn't appear to speak any (or very much) English. "Uno burrito, por favor." (Sometimes dos...)

Oh, now I'm hungry. Huevos rancheros, I think, since it's breakfast time for me. (Eggs with red chile!--see what I mean?)

Deborah

Khadres
06-12-2004, 12:38 PM
No way, Sooz. Oh, you can get Santa Fe Cuisine, where they mix all sorts of things in, and sometimes that's fun, but when I want FOOD I go for the real New Mexican stuff. I have a container of red chile and one of green in my fridge right now, I'm that addicted.

By October, when the new crop comes in, the aroma of fresh roasting chiles is everywhere. My two favorite scents: roasting chile and burning pinon. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.

Funny, when I go to SF I rarely eat in restaurants. Since it's an hour from home, I drive in, drop work at the gallery, drive home. I stop at the gas station and grab a homemade burrito, stick it in the microwave and flash it, grab an iced tea and eat over my lap as I drive... yum! I get beef and red chile. If you get there too late they're gone--the construction workers get them all! The gal who makes them doesn't appear to speak any (or very much) English. "Uno burrito, por favor." (Sometimes dos...)

Oh, now I'm hungry. Huevos rancheros, I think, since it's breakfast time for me. (Eggs with red chile!--see what I mean?)

Deborah

Oh, I can dig that! Sounds wonderful! Another reason to go to the Expo!!! Yay!