PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Grade Smile

JulieBoyles
06-11-2004, 03:26 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm starting my next portrait, this one of my oldest son. I wasn't going to do another WIP but I find that it kind of keeps me going when I do. And I participate more in the forum when I do also. So if you'll indulge me, I think I'll do this one in progress too. :D

as I said, this is my oldest son and quite a firecracker! I loved the lighting the other night when I took the ref pictures. My plan is to print this one out at 18" X 24". Right now the size is 10" X 13" at 300 PPI.

Reference:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/21314-EddieReference.jpg

And here's my progress so far. I think I've finally settled on this background and his jeans are about 90% finished.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/11-Jun-2004/21314-WIP611A.jpg

Critiques and comments are welcome.

Thanks for looking,

Julie

Michael
06-11-2004, 03:33 PM
Julie,
That background is great!
What did you do to get that look?

JCoop
06-11-2004, 03:36 PM
C'mon Julie... Bring it on! ;)

Cronious
06-12-2004, 05:37 AM
I thinkyou are well on the way to capturing your sons personallity,

Looking forward to viewing more :D

nytefall
06-12-2004, 06:19 PM
I can't wait to see how this turns out :) looks wonderful so far!

JulieBoyles
06-14-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi! I thought I'd better update this so you all wouldn't think I'm slacking! Michael, the background is done with the smeary palette knife. I just do layer after layer sometimes blending until it gets too mushy. Then I do more layers until I'm satisfied with the colors. I hardly did any blending on the last layers. I like the way it turned out, kind of grassy!

Thanks Joel :D , Crone, and Nytefall too!

I'm working a little different on this one than the others I've done. I'm doing the whole painting on the same layer instead of having a background layer and then a subject layer. On the last portrait, I had to work harder to get them to look like they were together so I changed with this one.

I've given myself one week (give or take a day or two) to complete this portrait. After all, I've got two other kids to do and then one of all three of them! :( My goal is to have a show in November with 20 pieces, portraits and still life. This piece is number 8 AAAAHHHH! So I better get back to work huh!

Here's the progress as of this morning; Jeans are more or less done as is the right half of his shirt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Jun-2004/21314-WIP613Post.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Julie

Michael
06-14-2004, 09:22 PM
I really like how this is turning out!

I am going to have to try the background tip on something....I really likr the look.

Chiers
06-14-2004, 10:42 PM
Julie you are getting sooo good at this. Hard to believe you have only been digital painting for such a short time. Can't wait to see the finished painting. YOur son does for sure looks like he is a firecracker!

peoplepainter
06-15-2004, 03:32 AM
Woo Hoo! Love that background! I can't wait to see this one develop either. Please post some other WIP pics so I can watch.

Love it! He's really adorable too.

Lisa

Jet
06-15-2004, 10:02 AM
Julie, i agree with all of the above (yes, even with Michael) .

By all means do 'em like WIP. it's so much more fun to see...and the expectations too.. !!

I am too lazy for WIPs but i admire those who have the patience.

-The title is right on....they are so 'cool' at this age they won't smile at you..lol.. :p
....... i know, i have a couple of those brats running around here somewhere... ;)

Keep it up...and on ...Whip the Wip !! :D

Regards

Michael
06-15-2004, 01:55 PM
Jorge agrees with me?!?!?!?

I must be doing something wrong! :evil:

Lobster-Lobster-Lobster-Lobster-Lobster-Lobster-Lobster

JulieBoyles
06-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks you guys for responding to this! I'm glad you like the WIP. This portrait has the most elements I've ever done so I really want to make sure I get it right. Please let me know if you see anything that can be improved. I"m paying special attention to values and edges and colors. And are you sure this background really works?? I like painting it and the way it looks but does it look overdone or not smoothed enough? I don't know if I'll change it, but am open to opinions! :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jun-2004/21314-WIP616WCPost.jpg

His clothing is pretty much done at this point. Now it's on to that wonderful skin. My favorite part!!

Thanks for looking,

Julie

JulieBoyles
06-18-2004, 07:35 PM
Hi there!

Here's another update. Seems like it's really going quickly now. For some reason skin tones are easier for me than fabric, don't know why! I'm ready now for the face and hair!! :clap:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2004/21314-WIP618Post.jpg

and a detail. . .

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jun-2004/21314-HandDetail.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Julie

Michael
06-18-2004, 08:16 PM
Fabulous detail!!!!!! :clap:

peoplepainter
06-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I second that! Great detail. Julie, it is looking so fabulous I cannot wait to see the final. The face is my favorite part!

Waiting patiently (not really),
Lisa

themanda
06-18-2004, 11:53 PM
julie, i'm such a fan of your work. this is a great piece, and i love your wip threads. it's almost like watching you work! :)

kbilltv
06-19-2004, 02:29 AM
Ok, I got the vibe, I can transmogrify him. Post him in the appropriate thread. Little martian...

peoplepainter
06-19-2004, 02:42 AM
LOLOL. Can't wait to see that!

Transmogrify away!

kbilltv
06-19-2004, 03:03 AM
LOLOL. Can't wait to see that!

Transmogrify away!

Maybe you mean Jet's version. He's funnier. The pain hasn't gone away. But it will.

JulieBoyles
06-19-2004, 11:18 PM
Thank you Michael, Lisa and Amanda! I haven't had much time to work on this today. I thought I'd drop this wip shot into the thread to show how I do the beginning part of a section. I use the eyedropper tool to get colors from the reference layer. But, I'm not so much looking for color, but value instead. It's my way of sort of doing an underpainting. Once I get these beginning colors/values, I'll add many more layers then blend and keep repeating until I get what I want. Then zoom in for the details.

Thanks for looking!

Julie

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2004/21314-WIP619A.jpg

Jet
06-20-2004, 01:33 AM
Hey Julie,
That i can do ... :clap:

-kidding-

-------------
You have the picture on slow progressing scheme, now it's taking a new level of perfection..

Congrats Julie !!

JulieBoyles
06-22-2004, 01:06 PM
Hi again,

Just another quick update. His face is done and all that's left is the hair. I had a terrible time with the eyes this time. If you see anything that can be better please don't hesitate to let me know. This should be the last update until it's finished.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/21314-WIP622Apost.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jun-2004/21314-WIP622HeadWC.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

Julie

Michael
06-22-2004, 01:10 PM
This is turning out magnifecently!!! I am amazed at the patience you have to do this! :clap:

themanda
06-22-2004, 02:19 PM
julie, this is great! your son looks like a pistol...

to me, it looks like the shading is off on the eyes. you've got a brighter, darker shade in the iris that's being struck with the light, but a lighter, yellower shade in the iris that should be in shadow, when it seems to me as if those values should be reversed? and should that eye in the sun have a bit of a catchlight on the side?

i feel downright silly critiquing your work. you're so good!

JulieBoyles
06-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Thanks Michael! When I used to do Colored Pencil a piece this size would take me almost 2 months so this is really quick for me!! :p I am really anxious to get this done though!

Amanda, I think you're right! I'm glad you noticed that, I'll go check it out now. You shouldn't ever feel silly to critique my work! I really appreciate you taking the time to comment! Your comments are always very helpful. Thank you :D .

Thanks again,

Julie

peoplepainter
06-22-2004, 06:00 PM
Julie! I am floored. Would you do me a favor so I can see the details better? Could you re-post the original next to what you have so far so I don't have to go back pages (seems eveyone is watching this develop :) )?
Or you could just e-mail it to me if you want my input.
So far from what I can see, it is turning out amazing! Amazing! Aren't you feeling good about this one? You should be!
Lisa

Jet
06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks Julie,
I think, i can take over from here, yuk, yuk, yuk.... ;)

...My favorite part ....blending..!!

Looks outstanding....That little demon must be proud now... :evil: :D

Keep 'em coming !!

Regards
:cool:

JulieBoyles
06-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Hi Lisa!

I've worked on this some more this afternoon so I"ll post again later and I'll do both next to another. I do like the way this is turning out although I've just put more pressure on myself :( I've decided to enter it into the State Fair this year so I want to be sure it looks the way I want it to!

I did email you by the way ;)

Jet, Believe it or not, I went back over much of this and stopped using the blenders. After I looked at it last night I decided it looked too out of focus so I went back in and put some hard edges back into it. :D And yes, this little devil is very proud of his portrait. It's the first one I've done of him other than just a small head and shoulders one last summer. You're always so kind, thank you much for your encouragement!

Thanks,

Julie

JulieBoyles
06-24-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, I think I'm going to call this one finished! YEA! I may go back in and work on the hair a little more. . . maybe! If you see anything that should be changed let me know! This portrait has been the biggest I've ever done and I must say it was really fun! Thanks for encouraging me along the way! :clap:

"Third Grade Smile"
18" X 24"
Corel Painter- custom brushes

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2004/21314-EddiePortraitFinal.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jun-2004/21314-EddieHeadFinalWC.jpg

I'm also crossposting this in the portraiture forum.

Thanks for looking!

Julie

peoplepainter
06-24-2004, 09:02 PM
YOU DID IT! You put the highlights in and it looks fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself. I am proud of yourself. Hee hee.
It came out great. The color is right on. The background is great and I love how he is the focus. He has life! It looks like him! I bet he loves it and I know his mom does too. :) I have been wanting to do this for a while now:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Look at them bounce up and down. They are happy for you.

Great job. Great portrait. Congratulations!

Lisa

Elvira
06-24-2004, 09:22 PM
Julie, a beautiful painting of a wonderful little boy!!!
Edie

kbilltv
06-24-2004, 10:08 PM
Very nice, JB.

JCoop
06-24-2004, 10:24 PM
YOU DID IT! You put the highlights in and it looks fantastic! You should be so proud of yourself. I am proud of yourself. Hee hee.
It came out great. The color is right on. The background is great and I love how he is the focus. He has life! It looks like him! I bet he loves it and I know his mom does too. I have been wanting to do this for a while now:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Look at them bounce up and down. They are happy for you.

Great job. Great portrait. Congratulations!

*Julie, I couldn't say it better than Lisa... but, if you'll notice, I gave you more clappies. So I guess I did say it better. :D*

Michael
06-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Absolutely beautiful, gorgeous and stunning
!!!

JulieBoyles
06-25-2004, 10:15 AM
You guys are so sweet! Thank you so much! I don't really know any artists here locally so it means so much to hear from all of you and get feedback on what I do!

I can't wait to get this printed and framed. There's got to be such a difference in seeing it small like an 8 X 10 and seeing it larger than life! :D

Thanks again! I really appreciate it!

Julie

Duende
06-26-2004, 09:21 PM
Hi Julie,
This really is a lovely portrait. I was very interested to see the way you handled the hair, very nicely done.!!
Paddy

themanda
06-26-2004, 11:15 PM
julie, this is great!!!! thanks, again, for sharing your steps on this and letting us all be part of the evolution of this fantastic portrait. i sort of feel involved in it. :)

i wish i had your talent... :crying:

justjean
06-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Julie that is awesome, and it really looks like him :) you must be so proud :clap: :clap: :clap:

peoplepainter
06-27-2004, 01:06 AM
I still love it but Joel beat me in jumping smilies and I am not sure how I feel about that. :)
Lisa

Andrew Rance
06-27-2004, 08:55 AM
Excellent work, Julie, and the background works fine (I always think they should be kept simple so as not to distract too much from the subject).

JulieBoyles
06-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Hi there,

Sorry I let this get to the second page before I responded :( had a pretty busy few days.

Thank you Paddy, Jean, Amanda and Andrew! I'm so glad you liked this and I really appreciate you taking time to comment!

Paddy, the hair is always the part that makes me the most nervous. It's not really the hardest but I usually do it last and by that time I'm so afraid I'll screw it up I'm a nervous wreck! The next portrait I'm doing the hair at the same time as the background. Seriously!! :p

Andrew, I'm glad you like the background. Now it seems as if I'm stuck on it. I just took pics of my other son and daughter last night. I took them in the same spot outside with the same light. The paintings will be hung together, do you think it would be weird to use a similiar (not exactlylike) background on each of them??? Let me know what you think!

Jean and Amanda, you're the best! Thanks again and wish me luck at the State Fair this year! I just sent my entry in today :D

Thanks again,

Julie

Chiers
06-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Julie beautiful painting! :clap: :clap: :clap: Yes, I agree you should be very proud of this.

Good luck at the fair! A county fair was the first time I ever showed my oil paintings and I remember looking at all the other entries and thinking I didn't have a chance in you know what. Much to my suprise I got two ribbons. A second place and an honorable mention in another class. I had entered three, in different classes. I'm sure you will do well!

JulieBoyles
06-29-2004, 01:08 PM
Thank you so much Sherry! Your opinion really means a lot to me! :D

I entered the State Fair last year for the first time not knowing at all what to expect. When I got to the "Artist Night" (the night the artists and exhibitors can come before the fair opens and see how they did) I found out that the art is juried so not everything that is submitted is hung for viewing. I entered in the non-professional area last year and was surprised to see both my colored pencil pieces were hanging AND I had won first place for the pineapple Colored pencil painting I had done. I can't even tell you how excited I was! This year I entered in the professional category so I can play with the "big kids". :D LOL. Now all I have to do is decide which other piece to enter. All computer art is in a single category so it will be interesting to see whats there!

Thanks again!!

Julie

Chiers
06-29-2004, 03:33 PM
Well just be sure to post the picture with the ribbon hanging on it for us to see! :D No doubt it will have one.

peoplepainter
06-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Exactly. You should win. If I were judge you'd have my ribbons on this one!
Wishing you the best..

Lisa