PDA

View Full Version : The Empty Chair

bravynn
06-11-2004, 02:01 PM
Hi everyone,
I've been a new member for a short while, and had written a message before. Forgot my password, and have been busy offline, as well as busy at 'The Artists Loft', which is ran by Gloria/Flowerfancy, and Margie/Lady Alba. I am a beginner at digital painting, but have improved somewhat by learning from the nice people at 'The Loft'. I have a lot to learn, and I want to share my work occasionally, to receive constructive critiques on how I can improve. Below will be the first painting to post here. I know the proportion on the hands are off.....need more practice on hands, too. :)

Nevertheless...I'm diving in the WC water!

info tidbits about me.. I live in West Tennessee, by numerical count, I still have a half-century before I reach the century mark. heh and..if there is anything else you want to know about me...ask Gloria. *snickering* nah, just ask me :p

Here's my painting! [I've attached the painting..hope I did this right]

Barb/Barbara

Jet
06-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Welcome to WC...Barb,
..and that's as far as i go..
I like that piece but i always hide hands in my paintings or leave them "abstract" (unfinished) for the same reason.

You did this piece on PSP i presume...

I like bright deep hues but to somebody else, it could appear a little oversaturated.

Great Job..

Keep 'em rolling in !!
:cool:

Michael
06-11-2004, 02:42 PM
Welcome!!!

I am a fan of bold colors and my favorite colors are red and blue...soooo...My very first thought was I love it. The only real distraction I see IS the red on the chair...I think it draws the eye too much. Just needs a bit og lightening.

I would leave the blue as is though, that is what is holding everything in its place, so to speak.

All in all...except for what you have mentioned, I like the piece. Only other nit-pick, I would use less canvas texture...but that would be a personal preference thing :D

bravynn
06-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Thank you for the welcome to WC Jet! Actually, I use Painter 8. Of course, I've been known to use a few other programs on the same painting due to brushes or any particular 'something else' my painter doesn't have. :)

heyyy, I've hidden hands before LOL Thanks for the confession. I'm sure many others 'improvise'. ;)

I love bold colors usually, contrast, and saturation gives the look I like at times. *g* My painting looks a bit darker posted here, then it actually is. *shrug*

Should I leave the paintings unframed from now on? I'll read up on any other guidelines, but if you or any others want to suggest any...feel free. I'm here to learn with the BEST [I see]! *compliment* Naturally I'm including my LOFT friends. :)

Thanks again Jet! I see you replied to my first note I ever posted, and I never replied. Sorry! Consider this note a double boost for you. :D

Barb

JCoop
06-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Barbara, you have a nice touch. I really like your painting!

Michael mentioned the chair was distracting, but I also thing the little yellow "thingy" on the bench with the woman is distracting as well. I can't tell what it is and it doesn't add anything to the visual. Also get used to signing your name... it adds a real measure of professionalism.

That being said, their is alot right going on in this painting too... the composition is great, The womans pose is pensive and dramatic, you've handled her skin and dress superbly, and the beach and sand are nice too.

If you want to enhance the feeling of depth that you've created, try desaturating your colors as they lead into the distance... this creates atmosphere.

Good work Barbara!

bravynn
06-11-2004, 03:35 PM
Hi Michael!

I'm glad you and Jet like the painting. Wellll...let me tell you about the 'chair'....lol it's Gloria's fault. I'm kidding!! lol At the Loft at the present time, one of our 'paint me' subjects is a 'chair'. I wanted to do the idea that came to mind, so I HAD TO get the chair in somehow. *laughing*

I like 'texture' as well as the others that you mentioned that we both like. I do leave the texture off sometimes. Just love oils, canvas, and the smell of ... well, you get the wiff/drift. :)

Perhaps my painting changed a bit, since I resized the original exported *.jpg into yet another picture of the same extension. I do know that after saving, and resaving 'jpg(s) over time, degrades the original quality. This is what I've read long ago. So, it's not Gloria's fault this time. *smiling* Gloria has a great sense of humor, so I can rib her once in a while. Anyhow, perhaps this is the reason it seems darker? Sounds good though, huh?

Thanks Michael!

Barb [Gloria, don't beat me up now!] :D

flowerfancy58
06-12-2004, 01:03 AM
Lol, I've got my eye on you Barb!!

You know I really like this and think you are doing great:)

Oh and Joel, that little yellow thingy is probably her hubby's wedding ring .... he just ran off with the lifegaurd (tricky thought there) and she's holding her "dear Jane" letter....... that's why the empty chair, it was waiting for him.... it's red to signify the angry yet hurt and perhaps the confused feelings she is experiencing.....

Oh crap, I think I'll just go write a cheap sleazy novel, rofl!!

gloria:)

JCoop
06-12-2004, 04:52 PM
You see Gloria, that's why we need you here in this forum... My simple mind could have never wrapped itself around such an obvious concept.

Maybe it's my repressed feelings of guilt that won't allow me to see the truth in this painting... the truth that somehow the ring looks familiar... and I used to own a chair just like that. That looks like my handwriting too!?...

nytefall
06-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi Barb :) Welcome!

I really like the pensive expression on the woman in the foreground, it makes me wonder what she's thinking.

My only little nit is i would like the mountains to be less saturated , but then again I like very limited palettes, so thats probably more of a personal preference.

Its lovely :)

flowerfancy58
06-12-2004, 10:12 PM
Just so you know, I will be studying your next portrait/painting VERRRRRRY carefully Joel.... looking for the deeper meanings . and chapter two for my little novel :D :D :D

gloria

bravynn
06-13-2004, 12:33 AM
The chair and ring are gone. They served their purpose elsewhere. heh

Joel, thank you for the critique and the nice comments on my painting. I've taken yours and the others suggestions and reworked my painting. I only placed that in the art work for another project.

Do people not use symbols in paintings? Perhaps, they do.. *g*, but the artist must always watch for what I call, 'overkill. As you mentioned, things need to be left out if it doesn't add to the visual. I know it's entirely up to the artist on what to leave in or take out, but I agree with you in this matter. So I know where you're coming from. BTW, your handwriting does not look a bit like the writing on the paper. *g* I love yours and Lisa's portraits you drew for each other. Both of you are very talented. I hope to reach that level some day. Until then, I'm here to learn. I value critiques, as much as I appreciate the nice comments. How else am I to learn, besides my own judgement through trial and error, being with other artists, and persistent/consistent practice.

Gloria, I hope your sleazy novel makes it to the best seller lists. lol

I hope my reworked painting is an improvement over the last. [the waterline could use a bit more adjustment...but... -- nevertheless here it is below]:

thanks
Barbara

bravynn
06-13-2004, 12:47 AM
Thank you Gloria and Nytefall!

Keeping my eye on you too Gloria! :D

Barb

Michael
06-13-2004, 12:52 AM
I really think this is a much better version. Not too busy, full of color and the eye is focused on the subject...Very nice :D