30 x 24 acrylic

http://www.williambell.com/AH_6Final400Pix.jpg

DETAIL:
http://www.williambell.com/AH_6FinalD.jpg

Thank you for looking and commenting!

Ginette

yogi
09-24-2001, 12:28 PM
Ginette, the hat is superb. The colors in it and the skin tones are excellent. The only comment I would make is that the jawline doesn't look quite even, meaning that it goes up sharply on our right compared to on the left. Oh, and I love her hands, too. Very lifelike. Keep posting your artwork. It's good.

Ginette
09-24-2001, 12:35 PM
Thank you Yogi,

I take the compliment on the hat :)
I agree on the point you made about the jawline.
I also think the eye on that side where the jawline goes up more, that eye seems a bit smaller .

Thanks for critiquing.

Ginette

aaasp
09-24-2001, 01:10 PM
This painting has a lot of presence and humanity.
If I may, the only "critique" I would have regards the background which is possibly a little too busy. I think that were it stiller, the figure would be even more imposing.
Best,
Anthony

dornberg
09-24-2001, 04:51 PM
i really like the grey with the deep brown

Impulse
09-24-2001, 09:04 PM
I like the picture
agree with Anthony

yogi
09-24-2001, 09:27 PM
Ginette, I think you're right about the eye on that side, too. Of course, maybe that's the way your model really was. As I look around at all the faces I see from day to day, I notice that most everyone has a "weak" side where one side of the face isn't quite as attractive and attentive-looking as the other side. Oftentimes, the eye on that side is a little droopy and the mouth on that side is a little "weird." So far, just taking an informal survey based on observation, it is more often the person's left side that is weak. On photographs, take a piece of paper and cover up one side, then the other and you'll see how one side is frequently more appealing than the other. It's an interesting phenomenon.

scottb
09-25-2001, 09:28 AM
For those who are wondering why this thread seems a bit disjointed, its because I cleaned it up. For posterity's sake, there was a miscommunication between some members of WC. Some of the posts in this thread have been removed (not because they were vulgar or anything, but because they were off-topic).

The requisite apologies have been made, and now we're moving back to the topic at hand, which is this great painting! :D

Cheers.
Scott

Impulse
09-25-2001, 09:32 AM
thank you scottb

JeanineJ
09-25-2001, 03:39 PM
So nice to see your work again!

Ginette
09-25-2001, 05:27 PM
Thanks... to all for your valuable input.

Yogi... I read about this too. Somewhere I read that few people have perfectly matching sides.
I think the article said Denzel Washington was one of those people who have perfect matching two sides to their face. Supposedly it makes for what many consider a very attractive face. In the "Hollywood" sort of sense.

Hi Jeanine, good to hear your sweet voice makes me feel welcome.

Ginette

Luvy
09-25-2001, 06:25 PM
I love the background See why I don't critique? *S* I think it's soft enough and brings out the hat quite well *S* I might make the sleaves a little darker on the edges but then that's me.
Except for the eye, which I can always see but can very rarely correct, and the jawline I love this pic *S* It works for me. Love the colors and great hands *S* YEP I like this. (I keep looking back as I comment) *S :clap:

jerryW
09-25-2001, 08:17 PM
this one is my fave of the series.
love the almost impossible things that happen under the brim of the hat.

Ginette
09-25-2001, 08:47 PM
Thanks Luvy. We all have different view. So I'm glad to get your's too. It's all good.

Jerry, you made me smile. I had to look under the brim again.

Ginette

SueFletcher
09-26-2001, 12:01 AM
Her posture and hat set the tone for your painting title. I particularly like the colors used in her skin. More depth of color(actually darker value) in the lower background would add dimension, set her off nicely. Agree that facing right jaw needs adjusting. Overall, most appealing, nice.

Ginette
09-26-2001, 02:26 PM
Thanks Sue. I know you're a skilled portrait artist, so I appreciate you taking the time to give good advise. I'm taking it all in.

Also here is my reference photo. I usually don't post it because I don't think it's important. I don't try to copy the photo, but I only use it as reference for my idea in my head.
I did not like the expression in this picture that much, hence I did my own thing.

http://www.williambell.com/DignityPhoto.jpg

Thanks Again
Ginette:)

Gollator
09-26-2001, 03:49 PM
it's very interesting how her shirt melts with the background...

yogi
09-26-2001, 06:28 PM
Ginette: I'm always hesitant to do this (don't want to insult the artist or anything), but when I really like a painting....well, I get curious. :D

I got curious about what your painting would look like with a darker value toward the bottom, as Sue had suggested. So curious, in fact, that I made a digital copy of your painting and took it into Adobe Photoshop to see what it would look like. Thought you might want to see it that way before making any actual changes on the original, if you're thinking of doing so. I'm not sure which way I like it. I like the original a lot, but I can see how darkening the value at the bottom would make the subject a more prominent figure. Of course, I think you'd do a better job with paint than I did digitally...but thought you might like to see the result. :) Sure hope you don't mind.

Anyway, here's the alteration for your review:

Ginette
09-26-2001, 06:40 PM
I don't mind.
I think darkening the area is an improvement.
I also would like to fix the jaw line.
The painting is at a show right now, but I'll get it back in a couple of weeks.

I wonder if I can add to it after it's been varnished. I've done it before, but this time I used a removable varnish. Can I paint over that?

Ginette