PDA

View Full Version : Cuppa Cuppa Cuppa

themanda
06-09-2004, 02:48 PM
this is my first still life, officially. be gentle.

this was hard! took me longer than a portrait. i can see now that the angle of the spoon is off.

Michael
06-09-2004, 03:07 PM
The spoon you can fix...since you already know about that, I need to ask...ummm...What are you trying to do in the background?...To me it looks like flames. But...other than that...I love the use of blue for the cup...GREAT color, and the wood in the table is coming through great!!

Nice piece Amanda. :D

Cronious
06-09-2004, 03:09 PM
Gentle, you want us to be gentle :evil:

I appologise my otherself was trying to .......... :D

I like your angle on the still life, they are some what a learning curve, but very rewarding, you have done very well for your first.

Arlene is the best at looking and advising on stll lives she has helped me no end. Thanks Arlene :D

Great job Amanda

Edit: you might want to look at oposites for tyhe background, a linin/yellow background would help the cup stand out.

themanda
06-09-2004, 03:14 PM
ummm...What are you trying to do in the background?...To me it looks like flames.

it's a new invention...Coffee Flambe!!! add some excitement to your morning!!! :D

it was supposed to be velvet-ish. so my fabrics suck. :)

thanks clare...that's a good suggestion about the background, but i just like the rich colors better. is there a better way to approach it with a dark background so it won't be so flamey and still have the contrast?

Michael
06-09-2004, 03:29 PM
it's a new invention...Coffee Flambe!!! add some excitement to your morning!!! :D

is there a better way to approach it with a dark background so it won't be so flamey and still have the contrast?

Awwwww....but you always excite me :evil:

How about this...Just a suggestion:

Color: R-204 G-0 B-0

Brush:#23 Chalk
Brush Tip Shapes: Scattering, Dual Brush, Color Dynamics and other Dynamics boxes are checked. And check the Protect Texture box also.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Jun-2004/31740-cuppabackground.jpg

I know the writing is horrendous..I forgot to put a piece of paper on the WACOM. :confused:

justjean
06-09-2004, 04:02 PM
I think you did great Amanada, the drapes could use an ironing LOL but that cup looks like the real thing

themanda
06-09-2004, 04:03 PM
Awwwww....but you always excite me :evil:

woo woo!!!

you know, i just never think to play with brush dynamics. i'm kind of a straight out of the box kinda girl. i can see, tho, that is a veeeery interesting idea. i'll have to play with it. toy with it. futz around with it.

themanda
06-09-2004, 04:06 PM
I think you did great Amanada, the drapes could use an ironing LOL but that cup looks like the real thing

amanada...i think i like that! sorta rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it? ama-nada...ama-nada. :) sounds exotic.

the drapes do look like somebody just took 'em from a pile on the floor, don't they? LOL!! i TOTALLY need to practice painting fabric!!!! LOL

Michael
06-09-2004, 04:14 PM
woo woo!!!

you know, i just never think to play with brush dynamics. i'm kind of a straight out of the box kinda girl. i can see, tho, that is a veeeery interesting idea. i'll have to play with it. toy with it. futz around with it.

I am not even going to attempt to reply to THAT!! :p

I really think that using some of these different brushes for the background might make your painting really bold and defined. The background is the ONLY thing that you seem to not really like doing...LOL :D

themanda
06-09-2004, 07:40 PM
michael, i officially have no idea what you're talking about. i tried to do that brush dynamics thing, but came out with something very truly odd. looked like confetti. while it was sort of cool, it didn't look anything like your example. :(

but, i tried to do a new background my way...again. at least it looks a little more ironed now!

so, i did the same painting, basically, again, but put flowers in instead of coffee. don't really care for the flowers, but i like the vase. added benefit: no spoon to fix.

is this any better? better the first time? do brush dynamics suck?

Michael
06-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Amanda,

I am at a loss as to what to tell you. I went and used the settings I gave you here and got the same result again. I don't think I am missing anything. I will try to figure it out though.

On the plus side...I really like this background A LOT more!! :D

themanda
06-09-2004, 08:47 PM
well, then, i'm just challenged. no...'special'.

here's a screen cap of my settings. you'll notice the brush, the color, and the items toggled.

here's a pic of the three headed love child that produces for me.

Michael
06-09-2004, 09:48 PM
I see...cool though...fill the background with a lighter shade of red...preferably a pastel :D

themanda
06-09-2004, 10:41 PM
bah...whatever. futz that. i'm not good at learning new things...takes me forever.

LadyAlba
06-09-2004, 11:38 PM
I think this is great made me get up and get a cup of coffee! ROFL of course I usually have a cup of coffee anyway at the puter. ;o) Keep going girl.....doing wonderful!!