PDA

View Full Version : For the Vacation That Lives up to Your Dreams

allanom
09-23-2001, 10:11 PM
Bear with me here... I mentioned in the thread with my painting, 'Tourist With Pina Collada' that I've done a series of works with the theme of idyllic / innocent settings with some dark intrusion in the background. So, I thought I'd show another painting, as well as the first piece I did with the theme, a drawing titled" 'Irwin at Ten / The First Dark Thought'. It's in following response post.

Painting is oil on canvas, 40"x 48"
Drawing is pencil on paper, 13-1/2" x 19" (Repro of drawing is greyer than it should be.)

allanom
09-23-2001, 10:17 PM
Couldn't get the 2 loaded together.

jerryW
09-23-2001, 10:48 PM
it can be very alienating when everyone else isdressedfor the beach and you are wearinga suit. I will do that again I am sure!

Impulse
09-24-2001, 01:03 AM
the colours rock in the painting
a pleasure to look at
vintage allanom

the drawing looks good
but i'd like to see it more clearly
it does come off fairly grey

ArtyHelen
09-24-2001, 07:58 AM
Darn, you are so cool, Allan!! :cool:

Helen

allanom
09-24-2001, 10:49 PM
jerry: Irwin isn't at the beach; he's on the threshhold of lost innocence.

Impulse: Thanks for enjoying the vintage stuff. As for the grey cast of the drawing: any pointers on scanning drawings so they come out with better than this?

Artyhelen: You are so sweet! Thanks a lot for commenting.

jerryW
09-25-2001, 07:38 AM
that's the beach I keep finding myself at wearing a suit while others are more appropriately (un)dressed

giniaad
09-25-2001, 09:05 AM
love the vintage style and colors also...
done in the vintage style of Allen...

where is that beach...?
haven't seen that one in quite some time,
boo-hoo...:D

can't help with the greys on the drawing...
but I do like the drawing...

ginia

reynolds
01-01-2002, 12:53 AM
i love these, but i love seeing crows in the grave yard as well!!!
this is actually something of a tempest allan in your style!!!

Javier
01-01-2002, 06:57 AM
An outstanding use of shadows -- you are in control!

The Best,

Luvy
01-01-2002, 11:06 AM
Allanom when I see a lot of your paintings I'm reminded of Rockwell. So family oriented *S* Just love your work. One of these days *S* I plan on growing up to be just like you too *S*

allanom
01-01-2002, 11:22 AM
Rennie: Thanks for reviving this thread. Glad you got to see it -- especially given it's psychodramatic overtones.
Posting a better version of 'Irwin at Ten' -- now that I know how to get (some more of) the grey out of the background. The locale of the drawing?: Where else?: the Maxwell Settlement..

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Jan-2002/irwinb.jpg

Javier: Quoting you: "you are in control!" That's considered a creative disorder by some in these parts :O)). I take your compliment on face value and I thank you for it.

Luvy: Aw, Luvy.. you say some of the sweetest things.. But.. the trick is: don't ever grow up, eh... Just keep working as hard as you do and good things will follow. I take comparison to Rockwell as the highest of compliments. Thank-you so much!

Painted Melody
01-01-2002, 12:43 PM
The drawing is just too cool -- Great subject matter that depicts a twlightzone cinematic mood, I think the word I'm looking for is Irony (??) -- a young man dressed in a suit in a vacant desert.. What I enjoy most is the direct confrontation presented to the viewer, we are forced to fix into him, as he's fixed into us, and I can only wonder what possesses him to stare so intensely, and if there are any more sinister birds scouring for prey

Jeremy

Bone*Diva
01-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Wow! Very interesting! Is the raven flying overhead a symbol or omen of some kind? And, the blimp in the first painting that same ominous token in the sky? Very thought provoking...and incredibly well done!
Lisa Luree

AggieL
01-01-2002, 06:23 PM
I really enjoy both of these. Thought provoking indeed!
April

allanom
01-01-2002, 09:18 PM
Jeremy: Happy New Year, eh! Looking forward to a year with more of your inspiring work...
Glad you enjoyed the drawing. As I alluded to in the original post, this one is about the threshhold of loss of innocence. The boy is staring out with that perplexed, crumpled look of pre-adolescent angst. He's uncomfortable in his clothes (his skin); his hands are too big for him; he stands on his own, with the wide open space all around him; the first dark, troubled thought just flew through the back of his mind.
Never thought about how cinematic it is, but you are quite correct. And the crow does give a kind of a Twilight Zonish feeling to the tableau. Great comments!

liluree: Thanks for taking a peek. Check the note to Jeremy above re: my thoughts on the drawing. And you are right: the blimp is an ominous symbol in an otherwise idyllic vacation scene. Appreciate your compliments.

AggieL: My intention on the first one was for it to be thought-provoking, but FUN; the drawing was a bit more serious in intent. Happy you enjoyed them.

pampe
01-01-2002, 10:28 PM
Never beeen to the Beach of Lost Innocence...we were land locked...and anyway, Jerry probably deflowered it for all of us.....

I like the twisted way you have, Allan....there is no mystery....it is all OUT THERE

and then

there is the mystery of a second look.

wow material as usual....like the IMPULSIVE one says....vintage Allanom:clap:

*I want to hug that kid*

Pam