PDA

View Full Version : Old Salt

themanda
06-08-2004, 01:54 PM
this is my attempt to A) go darker in my shadows B) paint a person with more character than the airbrushed ladies i've been working on and C) paint an honest background rather than just copping out with a gradient fill layer. like lisa, i feel like i need to losen things up a bit and let the juice flow around and let brush strokes show and just not be so d*mn rigid with everything.

wow...painting with texture is hard!! i can't just brush on overlay layers and merge down. this was fun, though. :)

Jet
06-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Amanda,
I like this new approach.
..I like the mix of paint and linework, i always have, and here it looks great.

I don't know what's missing -if any- for making it better , until the painter wiz come to the rescue.

But... I love it so far ..

You are going too fast for me, sis.

Regards

Michael
06-08-2004, 02:24 PM
Ummmm...This isn't another self portrait I hope!!!! :rolleyes:

LOL...I think it is looking good...Only thing I see is in the eyes. The blue needs to be bigger...Doesn't look quite right now.

I think I like the new, loosened up you :D

lemonbird
06-08-2004, 02:34 PM
I really like the painted background. It really makes the picture look nice. The only suggestion I can give is perhaps to make his clothing contrast with the background so that the figure pops out from the background. :)

themanda
06-08-2004, 05:04 PM
Ummmm...This isn't another self portrait I hope!!!! :rolleyes:

Only thing I see is in the eyes. The blue needs to be bigger...Doesn't look quite right now.

why yes, it is a self-portrait. you no like???

he's meant to be squinting, as if into a far-off sea sunset. i can see, tho, that it just looks like he's got tiny eyes. i don't know if i can pull it off...he needs more folds of skin or something, doesn't he?

themanda
06-08-2004, 05:05 PM
I really like the painted background. It really makes the picture look nice. The only suggestion I can give is perhaps to make his clothing contrast with the background so that the figure pops out from the background. :)

very good point. i was sort of going for a monochrome feel to make his face stand out more, but i can see that it just gets sort of blendy blendy down there, doesn't it?

flowerfancy58
06-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Manda,
This is really good and he has such an interesting face:) I don't think he necessarily needs more folds and the colors look fine too.....

The one thing I noticed most of all is the the whites of his eyes are way too white. I think if you tone them down with pinks and/or muted shades of orange, the eyes will not stand out, or will seem to be more recessed. ( don't quite know how to say it, lol)

Anyway, just a few things here and there and the next thing you know, you have a masterpiece!!

gloria:)

sundiver
06-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Very impressive- lots of character! I couldn't give any digital advice, but if you make the eyes wider , just stretch them out a bit horizontally, he'd still be squinting, and also I think they could be shaded by his eyelashes a bit, which would help get the squinting look.
NOT that I could achieve anything like this myself! :D

Chiers
06-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Amanda I like this. Its funny but even though you changed your style I can still see it in this painting. As has been mentioned the only thing that really pops out to me is the eyes. Too bright, and too small for his face. I like the colors you have used. Perhaps more definition in the facial hair?

JulieBoyles
06-08-2004, 10:46 PM
WOW! :clap: :clap: :clap: Amanda, you got brave! Your shading in this one is wonderful! Now wasn't that fun?!! I agree about the eyes but this is really great and I love that background too. What did you use to get it like that??

Congratulations!!!

Julie

themanda
06-08-2004, 11:40 PM
oh, julie! it was scaaaary!!!! i had to be so THERE with the color. it was hard. :)

for the background: i just sampled some of the flesh tones and painted them over black, ran a gaussian blur to mix 'em all up, then sort of scrubbed over it randomly with a soft round smudge brush at a high opacity. i overlaid some black and white to add more depth, and that was it.

i agree with everyone about the eyes. far too light, and not quite the right shape for squinting. i'll have to try to darken and elongate them and see if it makes a difference.

i also wasn't totally happy with the beard...i'll have to play with that.

wow, sherry...i've got a recognizeable style? how cool...:)