PDA

View Full Version : Award Winning Photo

Ivyleaf
09-23-2001, 09:31 PM
Each year, our local historical society has a photo contest, to help collect photos for it's permanent collection, in either a social environment (people) or physical environment (places) around our local area.

On Saturday Sept. 15th, my family and I were collecting donations for the local Red Cross (we found out later we had collectively raised over $11,000.00 that day), when we noticed the big flag being hung at Central Fire Station, an older building in our county. Later that day, my brother took the following photo of the building and flag. One of the amazing things about the photo is that there are no cars in it, as this is one of the busiest streets there.

My mom and I were reading the local paper on Sun. the 16th when we read about the contest. We decided to enter my brother's photograph. The deadline was Mon. the 17th, we managed to turn in the photo right before the deadline.

My brother's patriotic photo won first place in the physical environment contest, which had well over 200 entries. He is not a professional photographer, this is the first photo contest he has ever entered, but felt he had to take this photo and share it in remembrance. He asked if I would share it with all of you and he said "Tell them I dedicate this to all who were affected by the September 11th tragedy, especially to those firefighters." The photo will now be placed in the archives of the Historical Society, so that we may all remember the patriotism shown in our community.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Sep-2001/centralfirestationflag2.jpg

At my brother's request, I am placing it in our archives here at WC. Please archive it in the September 11 forum if you wish.
Thanks.

TeAnne
09-23-2001, 09:38 PM
Congrats to your brother for a wonderful photo. That is one huge flag. WOW, I am impressed. Bravo :clap:

Lulu
09-23-2001, 11:01 PM
Congratulations to your brother Ivy! An amazing photo and very moving thoughts to go with it. I am so thrilled for all of you!
Great ammount collected for Red Cross too!:clap: :clap: :clap:

MALARKEY
09-24-2001, 02:01 AM
Great job Ivy and your brother, congrats! lovely building too. I'm redirecting this to be immortalized in the 9-11 forum.

Leaflin
09-24-2001, 07:30 AM
Congratulations to your brother Ivy.
It is a wonderful photo :)

wendee
09-24-2001, 09:33 AM
Not surprised it won..Its a great Photo..
congrats to your brother.....:D

Ivyleaf
09-24-2001, 11:28 PM
Thank you all so very much :) I will pass your kind words on to him!

tammy
09-25-2001, 12:12 AM
Agreed! That is one big flag. It's a wonderful photo. Tell him Congrats!

baquitania
09-25-2001, 03:11 AM
:clap: It's a great photo Ivy's bro! And Ivy, it would a great painting too... nice to see it all in the family...

Pilan
09-25-2001, 11:03 AM
Ivyleaf this is a beautiful photograph :clap: . What a treasure. He should get this blown up and frame it.

Pilan

joemajury
09-25-2001, 02:52 PM
At any other time you would look at this photo, and immediately think of how nice the building looked, but at this moment, with the tragedy happening, this being a Fire Sation, and that HUGE flag, all the ingredients of an award winning photo.
I think this should be blown up and framed, it marks a very important time in history.
Its a simple shot, but captures the moment and the mood.

Joe

Ivyleaf
09-27-2001, 09:29 PM
Words cannot express how much I thank you all for looking and posting :) :) :)

MissMouse
09-30-2001, 04:06 PM
:clap: A job well done you must be proud of your brother. Good job on that collection.

Ivyleaf
09-30-2001, 08:59 PM
Thank you MM, yes I am very proud of him :)